Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rotary on sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-19, 09:04 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Any more feedback on the polisher in the package from Dr. Colorchip?
2nd update, used it again this morning and went with a 7.5" LC white pad and the difference was definitely noticeable. Same 3.5 speed setting, the white LC pad was just the right combo with the 3M product. It was much easier to work and get the compound to flash with the working time also increasing. The 3M compound is quite thick and does build up on the pad fairly heavily, a couple of sprays of ONR as it started to dry definitely increased the working time and made things easier.

I'd normally use Detail Juice to prolong the working time (I feel it's better at this particular use, that being pad lubrication and compound working time extension), but I left it at work and had to use what was on hand.

At this point I can say that this unit is definitely worth the price, but be advised that due to the backing plate size it will need larger polishing pads. The backing plate does appear to be removable, but I haven't checked what else would be compatible with the back plate mounting style.

> Note to self: Rent a work stand next time to compound + polish boat...!! Will definitely be doing that for the next go around.

Edit: Attached is a pic of the backing plate that shows the hex nut and 5 3/4" diameter, meaning 6.5 - 8" pads would need to be used.

Last edited by Beachtyme; 06-30-19 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added image.
The following users liked this post:
sm1ke (07-02-19)