Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 07:17 AM
brfitzp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior Detailing

i have a 2016 is200t f sport and was wondering what everyone uses to clean the dash, door panels, and seats. Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-19, 07:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

You really shouldn't have to use products. microfiber moistened with water will do. If you do it regularly you'll prevent junk from accumulating. occassionally i'll wipe down with this 1z (<-- link) to provide some fresch scent and heat and uv protection. it's the standard when it comes to interior product. it's a german company that contracts with bmw to sell their bmw labled stuff.

this product works miracles and leaves factory fresh matte/dry finish. no shine whatsoever. zero. it's how i keep my interiors looking literally new.

this is the steering wheel of my CT (same wheel as on IS) with a coating of 1z. dries matte and removes all oils. this steering wheel is 4 years old now but you'd never know it.

Last edited by E46CT; 02-05-19 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 09:07 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
You really shouldn't have to use products. microfiber moistened with water will do. If you do it regularly you'll prevent junk from accumulating. occassionally i'll wipe down with this 1z to provide some fresch scent and heat and uv protection. it's the standard when it comes to interior product. it's a german company that contracts with bmw to sell their bmw labled stuff.

this product works miracles and leaves factory fresh matte/dry finish. no shine whatsoever. zero. it's how i keep my interiors looking literally new.

this is the steering wheel of my CT (same wheel as on IS) with a coating of 1z. dries matte and removes all oils. this steering wheel is 4 years old now but you'd never know it.
I might have to try that. I've been using Lexol on my IS's steering wheel - both cleaner and conditioner. It looks great for about a week, then it's shiny again... Maybe I'm not applying the conditioner correctly, or the conditioner is more shiny than the 1z. But that's my experience. When I first wipe the wheel with the cleaner, it looks like new, but gets messy quickly.

So yeah, for suggesting this.
Old 02-05-19, 09:32 AM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

You really shouldn't have to use products. microfiber moistened with water will do. If you do it regularly you'll prevent junk from accumulating. occassionally i'll wipe down with this 1z to provide some fresch scent and heat and uv protection. it's the standard when it comes to interior product. it's a german company that contracts with bmw to sell their bmw labled stuff.

Is the product called 1z Cockpit Premium? also, what kind of odour does it leave behind? thanks
Old 02-05-19, 09:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yes 1z cockpit. It's in the link in my post (should have clarified it's a link--the blue blends in)

It leaves a somewhat strong orangey citrus/sort of pine wood scent. But it's a fresh scent. It's noticeable for first 1-2 days but fades to subtle. very unique scent. took me some getting used to at first but now i love it. It's a detailers favorite. For steering wheel/shift **** use, take a microfiber and rub it firmly around the wheel (like grab the wheel in a fist and turn your first forward and backward) so scrub front/back not slide to the side (if that makes sense) I apply it about once a month. And it's safe and good for ALL interior surfaces. glass, plastics, vinyl, leather, etc etc. I use it as a quick wipe down when i do my normal vacuuming cleaning once a month or so. Leaves everything spotless. Lasts forever too. about a bottle a year.

Use sparingly , a little goes a long way. the scent definitely lasts.
Old 02-05-19, 09:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
I might have to try that. I've been using Lexol on my IS's steering wheel - both cleaner and conditioner. It looks great for about a week, then it's shiny again... Maybe I'm not applying the conditioner correctly, or the conditioner is more shiny than the 1z. But that's my experience. When I first wipe the wheel with the cleaner, it looks like new, but gets messy quickly.

So yeah, for suggesting this.
If you want a good leather cleaner and conditioner, try gliptone. it's from the UK so not the easiest to find.

but for general maintenance/touch ups, the 1Z stuff is prime! my secret for greasy steering wheel syndrome.

edit i think they changed the name now but they used to call themselves 1Z back in the day. Same brand/product though.
Old 02-05-19, 10:35 AM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes 1z cockpit. It's in the link in my post (should have clarified it's a link--the blue blends in)

It leaves a somewhat strong orangey citrus/sort of pine wood scent. But it's a fresh scent. It's noticeable for first 1-2 days but fades to subtle. very unique scent. took me some getting used to at first but now i love it. It's a detailers favorite. For steering wheel/shift **** use, take a microfiber and rub it firmly around the wheel (like grab the wheel in a fist and turn your first forward and backward) so scrub front/back not slide to the side (if that makes sense) I apply it about once a month. And it's safe and good for ALL interior surfaces. glass, plastics, vinyl, leather, etc etc. I use it as a quick wipe down when i do my normal vacuuming cleaning once a month or so. Leaves everything spotless. Lasts forever too. about a bottle a year.

Use sparingly , a little goes a long way. the scent definitely lasts.
Thanks, there’s a local detail shop in my city that has it. Since i still have a bit of a new car smell i would like to make it last as long as possible to maybe i could try going over it with a towel with water to lower the scent of the product.
Old 02-06-19, 08:19 AM
mrmle03
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use chemical guys leather cleaner + conditioner. Two step process and I apply to seats, dash, door panels, steering wheel; anything that's leather and makes it look new again.
Old 02-06-19, 09:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I also use Nextzett Cockpit and leave a small bottle in the glove compartment for the emergency when you get junk on the interior. One word of advice...be VERY careful with the plastic gauge cluster lens. It scratches easily so I'd avoid any contact if possible. If you do decide to wipe it, use the softest microfiber towel you can find.
Old 02-06-19, 10:59 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I also use Nextzett Cockpit and leave a small bottle in the glove compartment for the emergency when you get junk on the interior. One word of advice...be VERY careful with the plastic gauge cluster lens. It scratches easily so I'd avoid any contact if possible. If you do decide to wipe it, use the softest microfiber towel you can find.
I used a soft microfiber and it still left some small scratches, After that i use compressed air.
Old 02-06-19, 11:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SSworks
I used a soft microfiber and it still left some small scratches, After that i use compressed air.
I actually have a compressor for detailing cars that blows out the water off of crevices. I also use it for the interior to blow all the dust out of the car.
Old 02-06-19, 12:06 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I'm gonna get that nextzett. I used to go with shine because I figured it offered more UV protection? But I use a custom-fit sunshade religiously anyways.

How about the headliner? Soapy water and rag?
i got a little junk on there taking out sunroof, and also with Windows open dirt can accumulate.

Btw there's a whole forum on auto detailing and care.

Old 02-07-19, 10:02 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Does anyone have any tips for removing micro-sized pieces of glass from seat crevices? Still recovering from my recent burglarization lol.

I did my best to remove the larger sized pieces, but holding back from the smaller pieces as I dont want to introduce potential scratching or tearing.

I'm inclined to try the air compressor method though.
Old 02-07-19, 11:06 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by brfitzp
i have a 2016 is200t f sport and was wondering what everyone uses to clean the dash, door panels, and seats. Any suggestions?
This may also provide some extra knowledge:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 02-07-19, 11:20 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Does anyone have any tips for removing micro-sized pieces of glass from seat crevices? Still recovering from my recent burglarization lol.

I did my best to remove the larger sized pieces, but holding back from the smaller pieces as I dont want to introduce potential scratching or tearing.

I'm inclined to try the air compressor method though.
Shop Vac since it has uber strong suction power?
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (02-07-19)

Quick Reply: Interior Detailing