Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Auto Butler Coating?

Old 01-20-19, 06:14 AM
rj4510
Lead Lap

Liked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Default Auto Butler Coating?

Hi all,

When I bought my GS, the dealer had applied an Auto Butler coating, claiming it was the best thing ever. Anyway, I didn't really think much of it at first, but the coating has been pretty top notch! My Wife's RX is the same year with same miles, both dark colors, hers Burgundy and Mine Blue. Her car swirls and scratches super easy, but mine doesn't. I was really sold on it after a bird released its diarrhea all over the roof of my car, one day when it was parked outside in 120 degree temps. When I got outside, I immediately rinsed the car off, but the paint was etched, just as it always has on my wife car.

Convinced Auto Butler was crap, I drove home and knew I had a pretty good buffing project the next day, Saturday, but didn't have any hope of ever getting the paint to look right again. I got up, took out the buffer and all supplies, backed the car up to give it a good wash and nothing. No etching, no remnants of bird crap, nothing! If I hadn't seen it there and cleaned it up the day before, I would have never known it was there. I have to say this is the first thing a dealer has ever sworn by that actually worked. i didn't pay for the service, but it was part of the deal....well, I guess realistically, I paid for it one way or another. Anyway, I have one application remaining, as the coating is reapplied every six months.

Question is, does anyone know what the sealant is they use? It's basically a spray on and buff off with what Auto Butler calls "magic Fingers," which looks like a glorified car wash. Nothing appears special about the application at all, except it works killer!

I haven't had much experience with synthetic waxes, sealants, etc. Always used top quality carnauba and applied every six months religiously. My paints have always looked great, unless a bit went to town on it. My black GX lost sections of paint on the roof, when the car was at the airport long term parking and I didn't get to the bird droppings fast enough. The Auto Butler topping has really encouraged me to take a closer look and ask the question. Anyone use anything as good or have any similar experience?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-19, 11:05 AM
sm1ke
Lexus Test Driver

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

It sounds like its just a spray on sealant like CarPro Reload, Hydrosilex Recharge, or Blackfire SiO2, but applied and polished off using that automated machine.
Old 01-23-19, 06:37 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Auto Butler is the name of the machine that does the "buffing" of the car. Many dealers use them to automate the delivery detailing process. You may want to check with your dealer to see what sealant they used. But, it is a polish or a wax, not a ceramic coating.
Old 01-24-19, 04:28 AM
GunnyFitz
Lexus Test Driver

Liked 119 Times in 100 Posts
Thumbs down Not Good

Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
It sounds like its just a spray on sealant like CarPro Reload, Hydrosilex Recharge, or Blackfire SiO2, but applied and polished off using that automated machine.
Tried this out - ONCE and will never use it again! Left spots that were incredibly hard to remove, and a Haze that was ugly as hell. Had to do the whole new Cleanse, Clay Bar and Polish w Porter Cable 7424XP just to get it as back to "normal" as possible. Buyer Beware on this one.
HydroSilex
Old 01-24-19, 06:30 AM
rj4510
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ View Post
Auto Butler is the name of the machine that does the "buffing" of the car. Many dealers use them to automate the delivery detailing process. You may want to check with your dealer to see what sealant they used. But, it is a polish or a wax, not a ceramic coating.
It's their secret sauce money maker, so they aren't giving me any additional info other than $500 for 3 years. I've actually never been impressed with any dealer add on, but whatever they use actually works. It's likely nothing more than a synthetic sealant, but I've never been around anything that went on so easily. I can watch it being applied. Essentially a glorified car wash, but the resistance to bird poop in mid summer days...I've never seen or been around anything like it. That's "I" haven't been around anything like it, but I'm sure someone here has. Maybe someone has found a synthetic wax that has done the same for them? The other thing I noticed is how much easier my car cleans up with a California Duster, than my wife's after both being waxed. The surface is definitely more slick.

To some I suppose $500 for three years isn't a bad deal. Realistically, considering what dealerships charge for ridiculous services, the Auto Butler coating is pretty cheap. Especially when it's a blast furnace outside in an AZ summer. That said, I still much prefer doing my own waxing, detailing, etc. Now I just need the magic elixir!
Old 01-24-19, 09:47 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Nice profit margin on 8 minutes work...

Old 01-25-19, 06:49 AM
rj4510
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ View Post
Nice profit margin on 8 minutes work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-oGN0qw4TU
i suppose why technically, itís not outrageously priced, compared to other dealer services. As I said. Kinda nice not having to do the mid Arizona summer wax thing, but Iíd still prefer doing it myself. Iíve tried different waxes and sealant and while itís never been as bad as the above post, itís never been as effective as the Auto Butler 8 minute high profit margin process either.

Does anyone know if any of the above recommended products go on as easy and protect as Iíve described?
Old 01-29-19, 08:42 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lexus Champion

Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
Originally Posted by rj4510 View Post
Does anyone know if any of the above recommended products go on as easy and protect as Iíve described?
All of the SiO2 based sealants listed above would do the trick. They're all fairly easy to apply and have great results once you get used to the application process. They're all picky about temperature (surface and ambient temp) and amount of product used. Apply too much or use it on hot paint and you'll get streaks that take months to fade. It usually takes 3 months to fade because of how durable the product is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: