ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Black Buildup from Exhaust - How to Remove (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/903464-black-buildup-from-exhaust-how-to-remove.html)

CottageChz 11-01-18 08:52 AM

Black Buildup from Exhaust - How to Remove

My 2013 GS has some black buildup on the chrome/metal exhaust surrounds. Any suggestions on best cleaning product to remove this? Figure some elbow grease and a good product should take care of it, just curious what other people have successfully used. Thanks!

RXGS 11-03-18 04:00 PM

Ive used rubbing compound that worked well, just because it was laying around, but I'm sure some sort of chrome polish would fit your needs better, or at least make the job easier.

02REX 11-13-18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CottageChz (Post 10348715)
My 2013 GS has some black buildup on the chrome/metal exhaust surrounds. Any suggestions on best cleaning product to remove this? Figure some elbow grease and a good product should take care of it, just curious what other people have successfully used. Thanks!

I don't think ive appreciated the "Hidden" exhaust of the 450h until now! the 450h has an enclosed rear apron with the exhaust hidden and pointed downward to the street if you look up under the back of the car. helps especially having a white Lexus with the pearl in the paint. but any other answer to your question would be great because I also have a white EVO X and every now and then when my foot is feeling heavy, I leave 530awhp of exhaust soot on the bumper and trunk sometimes. so I can use some advice on this.

14RX350 11-15-18 09:29 AM

I like Eagle1 Nevr-Dull.

Chuckinnj 11-28-18 03:52 PM

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND.......... Works great, inexpensive and you can buy it at WalMart or any local retail chain.

JimInTN 12-05-18 04:53 AM

I've had good luck using dawn or lemon joy dish soap and a bit of elbow grease. Usually removes all but the really old stuff.

CottageChz 12-05-18 07:26 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll probably give the bar keepers friend a shot since I have that on hand. Should have thought of that one. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to one of the other suggestions.

ex00 12-22-18 05:48 PM

Anything that is safe for burnt tipped exhausts? I usually just use a microfiber with a ceramic spray to wipe it down but it always dull after a few days.

Chuckinnj 12-24-18 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ex00 (Post 10391618)
Anything that is safe for burnt tipped exhausts? I usually just use a microfiber with a ceramic spray to wipe it down but it always dull after a few days.

Ceramic spray?..... I have always "THOUGHT" that Ceramic Coatings have to cure in a dry environment for 24+ hours, so if you apply and start the car it would "play games" with the coating making it look dull.

BTW! I don’t think that Ceramic Spray is necessarily meant for use on stainless...... Just polish and keep it clean.

autotech13 12-24-18 09:52 AM

I use WD40. It works wonders and everyone has a can around.

ex00 12-24-18 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj (Post 10392412)

Ceramic spray?..... I have always "THOUGHT" that Ceramic Coatings have to cure in a dry environment for 24+ hours, so if you apply and start the car it would "play games" with the coating making it look dull.

BTW! I don’t think that Ceramic Spray is necessarily meant for use on stainless...... Just polish and keep it clean.

Ceramic spray from Gyeon, it's not like the long term ceramic coating but I thought polishing and WD40 takes off the burnt tip look to it?

124c41 01-08-19 09:19 PM

thanks for all the suggestions, gona try to do this