Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best ceramic coat? Choices...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 08:05 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Best ceramic coat? Choices...

Which one should I use?

Old 11-01-18, 03:15 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Spend a little extra and get Kamikaze Miyabi or ISM coating from esotericcarcare which has it with $5 next day shipping. I just did 2 vehicles with the ISM coating this weekend and the results speak for themselves. I have also coated my ES's with 22Ple as well and that is also a great user friendly coating. I'll be using this Kamikaze though for the near future.

The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 04:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Both cars look fantastic great pics that gets a thanks from me. Speaking of, am I losing it or does the thanks button come and go.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
97-SC300 (11-01-18), signdetres (11-30-18)
Old 11-01-18, 08:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Both cars look fantastic great pics that gets a thanks from me. Speaking of, am I losing it or does the thanks button come and go.
I've seen that also about the thanks button haha
signdetres (11-30-18)
Old 11-04-18, 11:41 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think all of your options are tested here, but this guy is running an ongoing test on a bunch of different ceramic coatings and sealants. Avoid the 9H Mr. Fix, he tested it in the second video series and it barely lasted 2 weeks.

EXP_Cougar (11-05-18)
Old 11-06-18, 07:39 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I ordered 2x CarPros CQuartz UK 3.0 50ml kits. I have 3 cars, I am hoping I can do all 3, but my primary concern is my truck and my wife's car as they live outside.
Old 11-06-18, 08:17 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

2 bottles are plenty. I have coated my 15GS350 twice, and still had 1/3 left in a bottle. You won't have a problem getting all 3 vehicles coated. I know this because I've coated a 2018 Dodge Ram Limited with 1 bottle, and had a little left. Now, prep work on the Ram was
Old 11-06-18, 08:42 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Yeah, my blue is pretty bad. Its gonna take 36 hours of work just to correct the paint. Its been 2-3 years since I did a full correction.
Old 11-08-18, 08:26 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Wife's Civic turned out great! CQuartz is a great product! Level of difficulty is a 4/10 for a moderately experienced detailer. If you can correct paint with a DA, you can do this. Will report back in a year with longevity test. One important note: If you don't have the ability to store the car indoors for 24 hours to let the coating cure, don't attempt. The coating just after install is a bit "wet", and will attract dust if left outside. That dust can dry into the coating.

Old 11-27-18, 11:11 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Which one should I use?
I would honestly focus more on the level of prep work (correction) as that will matter more on overall shine, with that being said Ive been using CarPro products and have never had issue with. their products as they perform great granted they were installed and maintained correctly.

Not sure if you went with the uk 2.0 or 3.0 but the 3.0 is way easier to use.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-01-18 at 10:13 AM. Reason: removed quoted images...
Old 11-29-18, 05:42 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

PHEW....you guys really should delete his huge photos when using his Quote in a response! Scrolling thru them all over and over is tedious. LOL
IMHO- if you can afford to have a Ceramic Coat applied professionally, then that is the best way to do it. If not, you should do ALOT of research on its Application. The car must be SERIOUSLY cleaned and Clay Barred prior (Im sure you already knew this- sorry) From what you posted, I'd have to say that the CQuartz UK would be your best choice and its highly rated among detailers. The CQuartz Finest Reserve I went with can only be obtained and applied by Licensed Detailers (Im sure There's most likely a way around this) Despite knowing my way around Detailing, I'd be very hesitant to apply a Ceramic Coating myself. Matter of fact, they even used huge heat lamps to bake mine on. Not sure if you saw my Thread on this but if not, here is the link about it all. Im NOT saying this is the ONLY way to do things -simply stating what I know and went with.
My PPF And Ceramic Coating

This one may give you some ideas on WHERE to obtain the best Products and Sources to purchase this gear. If they had Frequent Flyer Miles at AutoGeek - Id be writing this from a tropical island somewhere my friend! lol
Sources and Products

Whatever you do, please post it all up here for others to see and learn. I'm open to new ideas all the time. Isnt that what this Forum is really for?
Old 11-29-18, 07:37 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I ended up doing Cquartz UK 3.0 and it was easy.

Prep work is key. After doing my truck, I found swirls on my hood that I had missed unintentionally. Now I need to figure out how to remove the coating (from the hood only) so I can re-do the paint correction and re-apply the coating.
GunnyFitz (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 08:05 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Prep work is key. After doing my truck, I found swirls on my hood that I had missed unintentionally. Now I need to figure out how to remove the coating (from the hood only) so I can re-do the paint correction and re-apply the coating.
From personal experience: I forgot my pillar and did not level off and removed excess Cquartz. 12 hours days, it would not come off without some polish and a lot of elbow grease. The area I'm talking about is right above the doors between that and the roof. I polished it off with a DA and reapplied. Once it's cured, I have not been successful removing it without a lot of work. Which IMO is a good thing.
Old 11-29-18, 10:31 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Are the swirls really that bad to where you have to remove the coating and get them out? I got swirls in my car after washing it and drying it after polishing when shining a light on it but it had taken so long and I was so over polishing it another time I just applied the ceramic coat(GTechnique) anyway. Its going to get scratched anyways which has already happened from using a car cover, I figured I will just give it a light polish every year and the next time I apply the ceramic coat I will try to be more thorough. My car is black so everything shows up, just can't avoid swirls with soft black clear.
Old 11-30-18, 10:38 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Yeah, its pretty bad. I am going to put some synthetic polymer sealant on it first and see if that will at least hide it. I am not hopeful though, as the swirls are not in the coating, but in the clearcoat itself. I just didn't have good enough lighting when I polished, because my truck only fits in the garage rear end first and the rear bumper literally against the wall. So I was trying to polish the front of the truck with the door closed, but all my lights hung from the ceiling at the back of the garage. Rookie mistake, and I have since installed more shop lights.

Quick Reply: Best ceramic coat? Choices...