Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question about ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 01:47 PM
icantstudy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ceramic coating

I applied 22ple HPC coating on my Lexus RX350 a year ago. I do regular maintenance washes on it every few weeks because I don't have a garage so it sits outside in my driveway. From what I've read online and watched on youtube, they say to apply a second sealant on top of the ceramic coating for additional protection. So for my maintenance wash I also apply Hydro2 at least once a month.

My question is if I'm always spraying additional protection on top of my ceramic coating, how would I ever know when my ceramic coating is gone? Do I just wait the 3 years that it says 22ple HPC will last and then reapply or is there any other indication?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-18, 07:29 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the obvious clue that the protection is going away will be the lack of water beading when you do a wash. However, if you're applying hydro2, in theory that itself should last more than few weeks. True test would be to stop applying hydro2 after your washes and see if water still beads up.
Old 10-19-18, 10:34 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Just had a major PPF and Ceramic Coating done to my car (CQuartz Finest Reserve) that only Professional Detailers can obtain.
According to my guys, the only thing needed after a true ceramic coating is "Maintenance Washes" using a safe product. Matter of fact, I was specifically told NOT to use Hydro2 on top of this coating! Tried it on wifes RX350 and was not entirely happy with the result. It actually made the dark blue (Mica) paint look hazed (And yes I did it exactly as noted)

Now, I use a foam cannon with only GTechniq Products, and another CarPro product called ECH2o as a Drying / Detail Agent while wiping off.
Old 10-19-18, 12:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There is no real way to tell if you still have ceramic protection coating, normally it is if it beads water but after a while or toward the end of its life it may still be on the car but it doesn't bead water much. GTechniq said not to apply a extra Crystal Serum coat when I asked, said it was really worth it if you applied the first coat correctly. Said it would be better to top it with something like c2v3 Liquid Crystal for added gloss/protection.

I would just go by how long the product is said to last, if your vehicle is kept outside longer then it likely won't last as long, if mostly garaged the protection will likely last a longer.

The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (10-19-18)
Old 01-08-19, 09:25 PM
124c41
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say depending on how water is beading on the car, definitely if it stops beading I would clean the surface and apply a new layer or at least use one of the products that brings back the protection like gyeon cure, polish angel cosmic spritz etc..
Old 07-05-19, 08:22 AM
Amelia742
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Usually, one application can last two years.

dafont ******* Adam4adam

Last edited by Amelia742; 07-25-19 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 06:10 PM
Grey2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Usually when you use those spray sealants the water beads up but doesn't sheet off. If the coating is still holding up the water should sheet off still. When you wash the soap off your car after you wash it that should be when you should get the best idea of how its holding up since you haven't sprayed the sealant on yet