Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New to me vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 06:36 PM
Doc4520
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me vehicle

As the title states, I have purchased a used gs350 in Mercury Metallic since my es350 was totaled by an errant tire scrap kicked up on the highway. I have read here fairly extensively since the vehicle has many very small scratches all over the car I knew I would have to address that.

I am wondering if there are any specific products, tips or tricks I should know about when caring for a car in mercury metallic? I assume that my wife's gold Highlander would benefit from the same things if any. Thanks for the insight and I look forward to getting this beauty back in shape!

Regards,
Drew
Old 08-28-18, 05:33 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Maybe check out Adam's Polishes. He has all kinds of Youtube vids. that covers every aspect of paint care. These will give you a general idea what to start with.
Old 08-28-18, 07:48 AM
Doc4520
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I will be sure to check him out. At this point I feel like I have a grasp of the basics and the order of operations. I am just wondering are there any products that would be specifically recommended for Silver or Gold paint. I know these are supposed to be easy to care for compared to darker colors, just wondering if there are some products or processes that help these colors look their best, or is it just personal preference?
Old 08-31-18, 05:42 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Your question is both broad and vague in nature. If you are seeking for the best Car Care Products - you will find this to be an extremely vast subject. We all have our own "Personal Favorites" and whether we realize it or not, we are all Brand Loyalists in nature (Hence Lexus!) For instance- if you are looking to care for your new GS350 yourself (Highly Advisable) you can literally find tons of help from numerous Detail Sites. I even posted a Thread here to see where Lexus lovers sought their products, and what they might be. You are welcome to check this out as it will show you the general consensus on where go. (I mostly use AutoGeek due to their frequent sales- and live by the Pinnacle Brand of Car Care Products) However, great deals can be found on some of the other sites listed within the Thread:
Car Care Resources & Products
I'll never let either of our cars go thru another Automatic Car Wash again, and got myself so into this field now-have just about every tool of the trade for treating our precious cars (Power Washer, Foam Cannon, Orbital Buffer, etc)
Nothing is wrong with the two bucket method of washing a car by hand. Just please do not use Dishwash Soap! As I just posted for another Member here who had some scratches, I found this Co to carry the best touch up paint, and contain everything needed for a DIY job. Fixing Scratches . I take great pride in caring for my new RCF and actually find it therapeutic, especially seeing the final result of my effort. Hope this helps a little.
Our first Lexus was a 2007 GS350 in AWD and we kept it for 11 yrs before going to the RX350. That GS went better in the snow than my 4X4 did too! Best wishes with your new GS!

Semper Fidelis,
Old 09-01-18, 03:19 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There aren't any products made for those specific colors. Ive seen some waxes specifically for black or white cars come out recently, but really I think those are just a gimmick. You use the same products to detail a car no matter the color. The only thing with the darker colors is that they show scratches more, so you have to do a good job when washing or buffing them as they will show everything. You could have swirl marks all over a white car and wouldnt even notice, where as a black car in the same condition would look horrible.