Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Brand new DIYer and washing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 04:29 PM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Brand new DIYer and washing

so guys i kinda got sick of washing my car at local car wash and put scratches all over my car, i swear it added it everytime, i just bought my pre owned gs, now im thinking of doing washing waxing on my own, im not sure what do i need to start with product wise, and i also have one thing the previous owner neglected it, the middle plastic black piano veneer have bunch of scratches and im not sure what kind of product will help me remove those
Old 08-06-18, 04:45 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Well there a few ways you can go about it. You can buy a pressure washer with a foam cannon or buy a foam blaster with a garden hose attachment. You will need 2 wash buckets, one for soap and one for a rinse - both buckets with grit guards in the bottom to trap loose sediment. You'll need some sort of a wash mitt, I use a microfiber one that is great at soaking up water and suds. I have a foam blaster with a garden hose attachment since I have yet to purchase a pressure washer. I fill it with soap and use it to shower my car in foam similar to a touchless automated wash. I wash the wheels first and rinse then down. I then rinse down the entire vehicle with water, apply foam to entire vehicle, let it soak for up to 5 minutes or until most of the foam has fallen off, rinse the car entirely. I then fill up my wash buckets - one with soap and one with water. I then foam one panel up using foam blaster, and then use sudsy mitt to wash that panel, I rise that panel down when I'm done washing. Work your way around the car until its squeaky clean.. As far as products I use chemical guys premium blue wheel cleaner (diluted) and also Honeydew snow foam from Chemical guys (also diluted). You can get pretty well any car wash these days and expect good results if your hand washing correctly though so I wouldn't focus on brands too much. The middle piece your talking about could benefit from a Meguiars scratch X2.0 or something along those lines.. its a tricky piece so hand polishing is probably your best bet especially if your not removing it from the vehicle. Just be sure to test a small spot before you go crazy though lol
The following users liked this post:
slvrcrz (08-07-18)