ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   What lotion do you use for the dashboard? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/896097-what-lotion-do-you-use-for-the-dashboard.html)

dchan865 08-06-18 08:27 AM

What lotion do you use for the dashboard?

My old 04 gx470 has known spider cracks at few areas after 12+ years so not being sure on the material quality of the RX dash, i want to protect it as much as I can since I plan to keep the car for a long time. I've use many brands of leather/vinyl lotions.
I am just curious to know which one you are using that seems to work well for the RX dash material? I am looking for one that does not leave a shine, not sticky that may be attracted to lint/dust and provide UV protection.
Thanks for any thoughts.

14RX350 08-06-18 01:07 PM

I use 303. It's a highly recommended product among detailers. I believe it provides the highest UV protection of any product. You have to re-apply about every 2 months. It leaves a nice matte finish and wipes dry. You can repeat for higher shine. Plus you can use it on other parts of the car as well. They came out with a leather specific 303, so I use that on my leather, but besides that, I use the regular 303 on every trim piece of my car inside and out.

I also purchased a custom fit sunshade. Covercraft and Intro-Tech both make them. I know they're a little pricey at around $50 to $70 (out the door), but they are very well made, last a long time, fit perfectly and look nice, and if it protects my dash and leather seats from cracking while looking good, its worth it to me. I like that it completely covers the window, so no light makes it in. They offer a few different styles, so if your interested, make sure to check them all out before deciding. I liked the most expensive one the most, of course. Autoanything carries all of them and usually has a sale going on.

SeanO 08-06-18 01:15 PM

+1 for the Aersopace 303 and +1 for the custom fit sunshade

nightdiff 08-06-18 01:39 PM

What about a lotion to make the steering wheel feel better?

3nergiz3d 08-06-18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by SeanO (Post 10271638)

Another +1 for 303.

3nergiz3d 08-06-18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by nightdiff (Post 10271669)

I'd be hesitant to apply any product to the steering wheel but this is subjective. I usually just wipe the wheel down with some ONR or soapy water.

Blkexcoupe 08-06-18 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by SeanO (Post 10271638)

Another +1 for this. I use 303 on my dash and have a Covercraft UVS100 for all my cars

Originally Posted by nightdiff (Post 10271669)

I use the leatherique combo on my steering wheel (cleaner + rejuvenating oil).

Hudrock 08-07-18 10:04 PM

I use Adams Interior Detailer, works great and smells nice but I agree that a custom fit sun shade is your best line of defense. I had a Covercraft on my last car and it was great. I'm currently using Heatshield Custom Screen shade for my GS 350....both work well but the Heatshield one is a little lighter and more flexible in my IMO.

Blkexcoupe 08-08-18 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hudrock (Post 10273170)
I use Adams Interior Detailer, works great and smells nice but I agree that a custom fit sun shade is your best line of defense. I had a Covercraft on my last car and it was great. I'm currently using Heatshield Custom Screen shade for my GS 350....both work well but the Heatshield one is a little lighter and more flexible in my IMO.

I had the heatshield ones before I replaced them with all covercraft sun shades. The lightness and flexibility is it's downfall. It starts sagging in the middle with time, but this is only relevant if you keep your cars for a long time.

SeanO 08-08-18 02:34 PM

I have the covercraft sunshade and its well worth the money, especially owning a black car..

dchan865 08-10-18 12:39 PM

Thanks fellas for the tips. I've used well known brand like ArmoredAll, Turtlewax for so long, didn't know these brands you guys mentioned existed. So I will look into them. I always enjoy detailing my car, that's why my old cars still look so newer than their actual age. Clean car=Happy wife=Happy life. :)