Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 08:36 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating

I got a quote for ceramic pro yesterday for $1700. Just wondering what the disadvantages are other than cost. This one comes with a 5 year warranty.
Old 07-16-18, 08:38 AM
vi3tboidvt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharmCtyIS
I got a quote for ceramic pro yesterday for $1700. Just wondering what the disadvantages are other than cost. This one comes with a 5 year warranty.
That comes from Dealership?
Old 07-16-18, 10:22 AM
PaiMei
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CharmCtyIS
Worth every penny IMHO. I had mine applied (interior and exterior) right after I purchased my RX from the dealer by Atomic Auto Salon in Columbia, MD. Car looks great even after rain, pollen, dust, etc.

They recommend that you use their special soap to hand wash the car, but it only takes about 45 minutes to hand wash the car.
Old 07-16-18, 06:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Given the amount of time required that price is not that out of line. I've done it myself it took me literally days start to finish.
Old 07-16-18, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I also did it myself, I would never pay anybody $1,700 to do it unless the car required a lot of prep work. No harder than applying any sealant or wax, had to wait a day in between coats but that was no big deal.

Applying and removing the coating literally took 30 minutes each time. If even that long.
Old 07-16-18, 08:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I also did it myself, I would never pay anybody $1,700 to do it unless the car required a lot of prep work.
I would assume for that price it does. On a 2-3 year old car that runs what about $700 if it needs minimal prep work?
Old 07-16-18, 08:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I talked to a couple shops, I couldn’t find a shop that would do it on a brand new car with no prep for less than $1,500.
Old 07-16-18, 08:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I talked to a couple shops, I couldn’t find a shop that would do it on a brand new car with no prep for less than $1,500.
Wow, interesting. The application is not hard at all and even if the product is $200 (which is unlikely) that's a pile of cash for how many actual hours. No wonder I do this stuff myself.
Old 07-16-18, 10:46 PM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Wow, interesting. The application is not hard at all and even if the product is $200 (which is unlikely) that's a pile of cash for how many actual hours. No wonder I do this stuff myself.
i did my own last year. 2017 ES 350. Spent about $100 for product. Very, very easy to do! And for the past year, the car never gets dirty. Nothing sticks to it. Usually a good rinse with water hose takes any dust, pollen, etc. right off. Very few bugs even stick to the front of it.
Old 07-17-18, 03:32 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

What product were you guys able to get? I’ve read consumer versions are different from dealer ones. I was getting clear bra done on my car but declined modesta cause it was insanely expensive for what I see is a long lasting wax that still requires regular maintainence
Old 07-17-18, 03:44 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PaiMei
Worth every penny IMHO. I had mine applied (interior and exterior) right after I purchased my RX from the dealer by Atomic Auto Salon in Columbia, MD. Car looks great even after rain, pollen, dust, etc.

They recommend that you use their special soap to hand wash the car, but it only takes about 45 minutes to hand wash the car.
That's great! That's where I got the quote from. Good to know they do a good job. Thanks!
Old 07-17-18, 03:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by baconRx
What product were you guys able to get? I’ve read consumer versions are different from dealer ones. I was getting clear bra done on my car but declined modesta cause it was insanely expensive for what I see is a long lasting wax that still requires regular maintainence
I used 22ple HPC, paid $165 for the largest size, enough for two coats on my LWB LS including the wheels and all the interior wood.

Think about it this way, if the professional coatings last longer you can do it 12 times before you break even lol
Old 07-24-18, 11:08 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sorry but that seems ridiculous to pay that amount for a coating.
You ever go to a car wash and see those detail prices... Something like $200-$300 for a full exterior detail? Well applying a coating has the exact same steps. At the end, instead of applying a wax and wiping it off, they apply a coating and wipe it off... Same thing. So the price should be about the same as a regular full exterior detail. the coating product is more expensive, but they are of course buying products in bulk.

In case you want to do it yourself, the steps are:
Wash
Clay (they have clay mitts now that making claying very easy and fast)
OPTIONAL Buff (Remove light scratches by removing a portion of you clear coat)
Prep. Polish (Wipe or buff the paint coating prep. polish on car, then wipe off)
Paint Coating (Wipe paint coating on, then wipe off)

There are many good products out there, but the products I've used and liked are:
Wash: Meguiars Gold Class
Clay: Nanoskin Wash Mit & Nanoskin Glide
OPTIONAL Buff: WolfGang Finishing Glaze with White Polishing Pad (Lexus paint is very soft... I would skip this step if not necessary or just do this step very lightly)
Prep. Polish: Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish
Paint Coating: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating (enough in bottle for many applications)

For that price you could even purchase yourself a top of the line Flex buffer to make the work go even faster.
I like Autogeek. They have sales often.

Truth be told, it is a big job... as every detail is. I just don't see any explanation as to why it would cost more than a regular full detail. Besides the small increase for cost of products.
The following users liked this post:
bbleous (09-02-22)
Old 07-24-18, 01:09 PM
bcz2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid 50K for my Lexus and $1300 for my professionally applied coating. I have no problem with the price. My car always looks clean and shiny and no waxing or claying anymore. I follow a simple no rinse wash procedure with a 7 year warranty. My detailer also give me a semi annual check up to make sure everything is still fine with the coating. He is established locally and I trust him to honor the warranty if my coating ever degrades.
Old 07-24-18, 03:31 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am definitely a believer in coatings and the protection they provide. I have applied coatings to mine and my parents cars and will never be going back to using wax. If my ONLY choice was to either go without a coating or pay someone $1,300 for one, I would pay the money.
My point was that applying a coating is basically the same procedure as doing a full detail, just with applying a coating at the end instead of a wax... which is the same method... wipe on and wipe off... just with a different product.

So with that in mind, whatever the going rate is for a full detail, it should be roughly the same price for a coating.

Car dealerships have always charged $1500 to $2000 to apply paint coatings and I don't see them changing their prices now to match what they charge for a full exterior detail, as that would basically be admitting that they've been ripping people off. So as long as dealerships keep charging those prices, detailers can do the same.

There are definitely detailers whose work is worth thousands. My point is just that I see no reason why the price should be any higher than a full exterior detail.
So if a detailer charges $1,200 for a full exterior detail, then $1,300 for a coating would make sense.
But if they charge $200 for a full exterior detail and $1,300 for a coating, that makes no sense to me, as it is the same procedure and same amount of work for either job.
Again, coating products are more expensive than wax, so it should be maybe 10% more expensive than a full detail, just to account for the increased expense of the coating products compared to wax.

Last edited by 14RX350; 07-24-18 at 03:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
liazon (11-20-22)

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating