Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I have a confession about paint...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 11:45 AM
NEON8L
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool I have a confession about paint...

Blow it up. See any dings?
Don't laugh.
Several years ago nail salons came out with "Gel" nail polish. Expensive but lasts longer. Stays liquid until exposed to blue LED lights (in UV range). Sure enough this stuff doesn't chip, flake or crack. In fact it stays on till the nail grows out and it starts looking stupid.

One day I noticed my nails were EXACTLY the same color as my car. Hmmm. So I got some and touched up a bunch of tiny rock dings. Did it inside the garage then moved it out to the sun. Ha! it worked and 6 months later still there. So I got brave and did a scratch. Looks good. Can't see it unless looking really close and you know where to look.

Of course, my son, the Lexus mechanic about had a stroke. It's now been about 5 years and it's still on there. Lexus dealer can get you touch up paint but will it match an older model? Will it account for any fading of color on your older car?
If you decide to try this, get your wife, GF, sister or daughter to drive it to the nail salon and match the color. This is especially impt if the color is red. Did you know women can "see" many times more shades of red than men. That's why it takes us 10 minutes to decide on lipstick shade. Test it on something metal. Don't take the bottle of polish outside in the sun or apply it in the sun or your bottle will glop up.
The following users liked this post:
tonydobbs (07-11-18)
Old 07-10-18, 08:05 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

"Did you know women can "see" many times more shades of red than men. "

Lol - my wife sees red nearly every time we talk.
Interesting - do they make dark green metallic nail polish?