Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Buffer/Polisher for the 1st timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 01:55 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best Buffer/Polisher for the 1st timer

Have a '16 ES350. I usually try to get a coat of wax on her twice a year but I am developing some issues with my hands/wrist. I have always done it the old fashioned way by hand but i am wondering about the Orbital Buffers/Polishers in the $30-$50 range. Any recommendations? Are these "you get what you pay for" or are there some out there worth the while? Not looking to do any heavy polishing or anything like that.............just wax on/wax off. I have never used a buffer/polisher before.

THANKS!
Old 06-29-18, 02:28 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I say buy the harbor freight one. If you have one near you there always the weekly 20% off coupon on top of that. If your just topping it off as wax to use then I wouldn’t spend the extra money on the expensive ones.
Old 06-30-18, 08:49 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

As someone who has been detailing cars for six decades and have pretty bad arthritis in my hands and back, I'd suggest that you would do better to save the $30-$50 and put it towards a better Dual Action polisher. A fairly useful Porter Cable 7424XL can often be had for around $100 and is a much more functional tool. You would then have access to a wide variety of pads and it is a tool power enough to remove swirls and actually polish paint.
The following users liked this post:
Casper1 (03-12-22)
Old 06-30-18, 12:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I actually just wrote an article on this very topic, but I'm not sure when it will be published so I will copy/paste some of the info here......

In my opinion, every car enthusiast should own the bare essentials required to maintain their paint at a very high level. In addition to washing and drying, being able to perform a basic paint correction as needed to remove swirl marks and enhance shine is great to know how to do yourself. Many people are wary of learning the basics of paint correction due to the perception that in order to make an improvement you will need to take out a loan to purchase several different machines, an entire cabinet full of pads, and have a full week of free time to complete each job. I am happy to say that this is just not true! You can enhance your paintwork in a single day with just a handful of items, and for a lot less money than most people realize.

Machines

A dual action polisher (also known as random orbital polisher) is an essential part of the detailing process. If you are still doing the old "wax on, wax off" by hand, it is time to stop! A good DA machine will allow the user to produce far superior results compared to working by hand and it will also speed up the process. In my opinion, there are two tools that rule the market for entry-level dual action polishers - the Porter Cable 7424XP and the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher. The two machines are very similar in terms of overall size and functionality, but there are some key differences. I've laid out some of the specs of each machine in the table below, and it is worth noting that Detailed Image has put together a comprehensive buffer comparison chart for all of the machines they sell here.

Both machines offer the same 2500-6800 opm range, but the Griot's Garage Polisher is powered by a stronger motor which should enable the user to put more strain on the tool without bogging it down. Each machine utilizes an 8 mm orbit size (or stroke) and come equipped with a 10 foot, 18 gauge power cord. Griot's Garage offers a HD version at a slightly higher price which includes a 25 foot, 16 gauge power cord. The GG machine comes equipped with a 6-inch hook and loop backing plate that allows the user to use a variety of pads, however the Porter Cable machine comes equipped with a polishing pad that is permanently fixed to a threaded backing plate so a hook and loop backing plate must be purchased separately. Both machines have a handle that the user may use if desired. The Griot's tool has an adjustable d-shaped handle that is centered over the top of the machine. The Porter Cable has a side-mounted handle. I personally do not find either handle to be particularly beneficial and opt to remove them during use. In my opinion, one of the most notable benefits of the Griot's Garage machine is the lifetime manufacturers warranty that is backed by an awesome customer support system. With the added power and the excellent warranty, the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher gets the slight edge as the better entry-level polisher, though you simply cannot go wrong with either option! I actually got started with a PC7424XP and used it exclusively for years before purchasing a professional grade machine. I still use my PC7424XP for certain tasks.

... the article then includes recommendations for basic pads, compounds, and polishes that are great to have on hand.

Hope that helps.

-Zach
Old 06-30-18, 03:13 PM
jfelbab

Nice writeup Zak.

I started out with the Meguiar's version of the PorterCable 7336, back in 1991 I believe. It came with a lifetime warranty. Damn thing still works well today. Poreter cable is not made in the US any longer I understand. True enough that if you get addicted to this, (it is a disease, LOL) you will progress through to the $500 plus tools. Yet in terms of results, the old PC would do pretty darn well.

Why is this not published? It should be, IMO. These are tools most of us eventually purchase.
Old 06-30-18, 05:49 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Why is this not published? It should be, IMO. These are tools most of us eventually purchase.
When I submit an article for review, it may stay pending publication for quite some time until they wish to post it on the blog. Sometimes they might be planning a sale or promotion of some sort that would compliment an article nicely so they hold off on publishing an article until that time. They all get published eventually.
Old 07-01-18, 05:47 AM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input so far. I guess I am afraid of the higher end machines a little. (Again......NO experience other than hand wax) I am afraid to hurt the finish. At this time (2 yrs and 8K miles) not sure I feel the need for "paint correction" and my perception of polishing (could be my ignorance as well....LOL). I have never had my car through a car wash and would like to think the paint is in pretty good shape. I realize the smaller orbitals don't have enough horses to do more serious polishing but trying to figure out if they are good enough for routine wax on/wax off. Some reviews of these cheaper ($20-$40) units seem to indicate the pads separate from the machines.
Old 07-01-18, 06:46 AM
jfelbab

Dual Action polishers make it pretty difficult to damage your paint. Likely less than the cheaper waxer tools, IMO. Just about the only way you can damage your paint with a DA is by dropping the tool on the paint. Rotary polishers, OTOH, in inexperienced hands, is a different matter. You will find many horror stories. Also keep in mind that if you are using a tool to apply/remove wax or sealants and you have not removed the bonded contaminants first, you run the risk of some of them breaking loose onto your pad and causing major paint marring. All these power tools amplify your ability to improve and or damage the paint. First rule in detailing is "Don't make things worse",

You are smart to not run your car through the automated tunnel car washes. The occasional "Touchless" wash during the winter months being the exception. Otherwise your are going to develop swirls. Anything that touches your paint may leave swirls, even a hand wash&dry improperly done. Your paint color, silver, is about the most forgiving color you can get, Yet I bet if you check for bonded contaminants you will find them present. Do the "baggie test". After washing and drying your car put a baggie on your hand and draw your fingertips gently over the paint. If there are any bonded contaminants on the paint your will feel it and hear it.

This brings up a good point. If you have bonded contaminants on the paint, you should clay the paint. This is a chore, for sure, but after the contaminants are removed the paint will feel as smooth as glass. Any wax or sealant you apply to a spotless surface will go on and come off extremely easy by hand. In fact, unless I am doing multiple vehicles, I never use the DA to apply and remove wax or sealants. I aways prefer to do this by hand and I have very severe arthritis in my hands. For me, the tool is more work and harder on the hands than waxing by hand. I typically only use the DA for swirl removal and light paint correction to achieve a high gloss. Keep in mind that your wax or sealant does not produce most of the shine, it is there to protect the paint. The gloss is developed by polishing the paint.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-01-18 at 06:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-07-18)
Old 07-01-18, 08:26 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipit555
Have a '16 ES350. I usually try to get a coat of wax on her twice a year but I am developing some issues with my hands/wrist. I have always done it the old fashioned way by hand but i am wondering about the Orbital Buffers/Polishers in the $30-$50 range. Any recommendations? Are these "you get what you pay for" or are there some out there worth the while? Not looking to do any heavy polishing or anything like that.............just wax on/wax off. I have never used a buffer/polisher before.

THANKS!
There are many different products out such that are wipe on wipe off products such as meguiars fast finish, optiseal, liquid crystal. imo while I still love a good old fashioned wax job, some of the products out today make the process much easier and effective and provide the same if not more durable protection as they are syneththic you should should try them out if your a carnauba guy then they also make synthetic spray waxes/sealaers with carnauba such as optimum car wax.

These products save a lot more time than the traditional wax and a lot more easier on your hands.
Old 08-03-18, 10:04 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

The porter cable polisher (or griots) are good enough for 90% of car owners especially if you purchase your cars new or buys 3-4 year old used cars. I have a small collection of pads and compounds and can restore any car probably up to 7 years old that wasn't too badly neglected. Abused or really older cars to get back to showroom shines will require the high end stuff that's overkill outside of professional detailers or businesses that do this every day. You could argue it doesn't require high end stuff, but it sure will be a lot faster.

Paying more for the porter cable or Griots works fine for wax on and wax off. I use to speed up this process too. And if you ever have to do some more serious correction you're covered with the better DA polisher.

Last edited by DarthCholo; 08-03-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 02:14 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I've seen the attachments you can use with a cordless drill as well.. about $50 and it chucks into your drill and has a handle you can hang onto as well.. FYI
Old 08-03-18, 04:52 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I say go for the Harbor Freight one too. There's always a deal on them. Its a nice option for the money, especially if you don't plan to use it often.
Old 08-03-18, 10:16 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Personally been using the Griots and it's helped me correct and polish most of my defects. No complaints here.
Old 08-06-18, 05:11 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Absolutely!!!

Scrolled thru fast to ensure I hadn't replied earlier. Briefly saw the mention of the Porter Cable 7424XP in here.

Since I'd like to consider myself as an "Amatuer" Detailing of 3 cars now, I had this same inquiry about 2 yrs ago. The PC7424xp is hands down the easiest, effective, and highest quality piece of gear I'm proud to say I own, and use often! Just bought 3rd set of Pads from AutoGeek (where they do sell some killer combo packages with the PC itself too!) If you have yet to pull the trigger on one of these - I HIGHLY consider, and concur that its ease of use, and result will be something you'll also look back on and like me, applaud yourself for purchasing buddy!!

Seriously. That, and some quality car care products will bring a whole new way you'll look at how astonishing your radiant car shall appear my friend! Go for it, let me know!

*If your care for any product tips, advice, or methodology PM me..😎
Old 08-06-18, 03:21 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

How often do you guys break these out and use them. I have a set of gsf rims that have some light scratches from shipping and a small dent in it so not sure how to approach it.

Quick Reply: Best Buffer/Polisher for the 1st timer