Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rock Chip and Dr Color Chip

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 06:46 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rock Chip and Dr Color Chip

So I received a huge rock chip a month or so ago and used Dr Color chip to repair. I'm not sure if the pictures do it much justice as taking quality before and after pictures of rock chips was harder that I thought. Dr Color chip works really good. The paint is an exact match even with the metallic type flakes in the Nebula Gray. This particular chip was big and down to the metal so I did several treatments and ended up using a little rubber squeegee to help fill in smoothly, the thumb/finger swipe as mentioned on their website site works fine for small chips. Work in progress on other chips on my car but wanted to share with the team

Old 06-16-18, 08:08 PM
6od
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I just ordered a kit the other day and was concerned about the fact my car is metallic also (Smokey Granite Mica) - but this puts my mind at ease!

Did you use a rubber squeegee purchased from them? Or from somewhere else? I didn’t order the kit with the squeegee, but it sounds like a good thing to have.
Old 06-16-18, 08:44 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

squeegee is good when you have a lot of chips to fix at once. If its just the onesy twosy occasional chips i just use the towel and apply with the fine applicators
The following users liked this post:
6od (06-24-18)
Old 06-16-18, 09:54 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 6od
Awesome! I just ordered a kit the other day and was concerned about the fact my car is metallic also (Smokey Granite Mica) - but this puts my mind at ease!

Did you use a rubber squeegee purchased from them? Or from somewhere else? I didn’t order the kit with the squeegee, but it sounds like a good thing to have.
I used one of the rubber types that come with a cell phone protector screen to get air bubbles out. It worked ok but I think something a little more supple/flexible like a small silicon squeegee for glass would work better, the one i used pulled a bit on the paint. You may not need a squeegee depending on situation...I think most normal chips works fine with the thumb/finger smear method however if you have a lot of chips like a rash the squeegee works well (the squeegee certainly wont hurt anything). The chip I had was pretty big so the squeegee helped in that situation by smoothing the paint (I was trying to fill it in more and smear method would push paint out). I like the color chip kit because because you can play around with it somewhat as part of their method they include solution to clean off the excess paint smears. Its hard to mess up if you follow the directions and the paint color is a great match.
6od (06-24-18)
Old 06-17-18, 03:53 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you get a close up shot like you did in the second before pic?
Old 06-17-18, 08:25 AM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALL4SPL
Can you get a close up shot like you did in the second before pic?

bryceis250 (06-28-18)
Old 06-17-18, 08:49 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So would you view Dr. Color Chip as a worth while product for the price, looks pretty decent from the photos.
Old 06-17-18, 09:07 AM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALL4SPL
So would you view Dr. Color Chip as a worth while product for the price, looks pretty decent from the photos.
Yes I would. I bought the 49.00 kit and the amount of paint that comes with it I feel is on par with comparable products and its pretty easy/forgiving to use. There is more than enough to treat all the chips currently on my car with plenty left over (I would imagine shelf life being a year or so). It's really good on what I would call normal little rock chips and I like how it blends in and gives a smooth look. To be fair Dr Color chip is the only product I have used like this so I don't have wide comparison base. This car was a CPO bought from a Lexus dealership and had chips on it that the dealership touched up and the Dr Color Chip looks better IMO...my last car was a black challenger and I used this product with similar results. The thing with rocks chips is 'you' will always notice them no matter how good the product is but the average Joe wont notice it. I may play around with this particular chip (it's not what I would label a normal rock chip as its pretty big) some and give it a few more treatments to see if I can fill in the chip better or I may just leave good enough alone

Last edited by Hudrock; 06-17-18 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by Hudrock:
6od (06-24-18), ALL4SPL (06-17-18), Luffy808 (06-20-18)
Old 06-28-18, 02:28 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

Just used Dr. Color Chip on my obsidian GS and have to say, I was rather impressed. For areas like the hood and relatively flat panels, it is unbeatable. I had a few chips just above the windshield where the metal curves and it was a challenge but I was able to get those covered pretty well also. I will definitely be using dr. color chip from now on.