ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Most comfortable dual action polisher / buffer (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/891061-most-comfortable-dual-action-polisher-buffer.html)

babaliont 06-08-18 09:33 PM

Most comfortable dual action polisher / buffer

I am not looking for major paint correction but to simply make polishing and waxing my two vehicles faster and easier compared to doing it by hand. I bought a porter cable a few years ago on the recommendation of some on this forum but I found the vibrations on it on high speed very uncomfortable to use. It almost felt like my hands were being shocked by electricity. I even had the unit replaced under warranty but the second one was just as bad. So I ended up selling it and reverting to polishing / waxing by hand.

My budget is under $150. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

97-SC300 06-08-18 09:45 PM

You're not getting anything good for under $150. Either deal with the PC that you already own (as that's probably the best DA under $150) or cough up that dough and buy a better machine like a Flex 3401 or Rupes.

babaliont 06-08-18 10:04 PM

How about the TORQX from Chemical Guys? Is that better than the PC?
Costco is doing the TORQX kit with the CG polishing kit + towels for $129.

monkey92 06-08-18 10:11 PM

+1 on the TORQX from CG. Would also like to know a budget alternative to the porter cable since mine is on its way out like the OPs

Blkexcoupe 06-09-18 12:43 PM

The vibrations are part of the nature of the entry level dual action polishers. The porter cable will always be the most recommended polisher because of it's reliability. I believe the 2nd most popular is the Griots Garage 6" polisher, but that's going to have the same vibration because it is the same style of polisher.

PlatES300 06-09-18 01:58 PM

save up for the flex 3401. I went from a PC to the flex and I love it. Makes polishing so much easier and faster.

babaliont 06-09-18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe (Post 10220351)
The vibrations are part of the nature of the entry level dual action polishers. The porter cable will always be the most recommended polisher because of it's reliability. I believe the 2nd most popular is the Griots Garage 6" polisher, but that's going to have the same vibration because it is the same style of polisher.

Thanks, but what do you mean by 'style of polisher'. I thought they were all dual action random orbital polishers, even the $500 ones. What's the difference?

babaliont 06-09-18 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by PlatES300 (Post 10220412)
save up for the flex 3401. I went from a PC to the flex and I love it. Makes polishing so much easier and faster.

What do you think of this one?

Seems to have blown away even Rupes users.

monkey92 06-09-18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by babaliont (Post 10220524)
What do you think of this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Maxshine-Acti...dp/B07343W387/

Seems to have blown away even Rupes users.

wow great find! reviews on amazon look good, and for $50 more than the PC and comparable results to the Rupes i think this polisher might be worth a try OP

Blkexcoupe 06-09-18 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by babaliont (Post 10220521)
Thanks, but what do you mean by 'style of polisher'. I thought they were all dual action random orbital polishers, even the $500 ones. What's the difference?

The PC, Griots Garage 6", Meguiars G110v2, and CG TorqX are all small body da polishers that have a smaller throw. Once you move up to the more expensive long throw DA polishers (Rupes LHR 15,21 or Griots garage boss G15, G21) the bodies start getting larger to balance out.

You're right that they're all DA polishers, but all the reputable ones in your budget range will be the same style, so they'll have similar characteristics when you operate them.

UDel 06-10-18 12:59 PM

All polishers are going to vibrate in your hand, just like basically all power tools vibrate when you use them on a surface. It never really bothered me but I kind of know the feeling of being shocked because they are small rapid vibrations for extended periods of time. I would just try different ways of gripping a Porter Cable, wear gloves, etc.

97-SC300 06-10-18 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe (Post 10220629)
The PC, Griots Garage 6", Meguiars G110v2, and CG TorqX are all small body da polishers that have a smaller throw. Once you move up to the more expensive long throw DA polishers (Rupes LHR 15,21 or Griots garage boss G15, G21) the bodies start getting larger to balance out.

You're right that they're all DA polishers, but all the reputable ones in your budget range will be the same style, so they'll have similar characteristics when you operate them.

Flex 3401 is forced rotation. Rupes and all the other ones you mentioned all have a free floating spindle assembly.

Honestly, I have only used a 3401 for the last 5+ years full time as a detailer and have done several hundred full corrections, not counting the lighter 1-step jobs. I have thousands of hours clocked in on these machines. We have around 6 laying around in the shop and a few Rupes that nobody wants to touch because they are garbage and only work well on flat panels.

I cannot see myself using another machine unless they come out with something more impressive then a Flex.

Blkexcoupe 06-10-18 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 97-SC300 (Post 10221131)
We have around 6 laying around in the shop and a few Rupes that nobody wants to touch because they are garbage and only work well on flat panels.

You're making me feel pretty bad that I just bought a rupes last week. hahaha

babaliont 06-10-18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 97-SC300 (Post 10221131)
Flex 3401 is forced rotation. Rupes and all the other ones you mentioned all have a free floating spindle assembly.

Honestly, I have only used a 3401 for the last 5+ years full time as a detailer and have done several hundred full corrections, not counting the lighter 1-step jobs. I have thousands of hours clocked in on these machines. We have around 6 laying around in the shop and a few Rupes that nobody wants to touch because they are garbage and only work well on flat panels.

I cannot see myself using another machine unless they come out with something more impressive then a Flex.

Would you consider selling one of those 'lying around the shop' for a discount and free shipping to Texas? ;)

zmcgovern4 06-11-18 09:26 PM

LOL... only works on flat panels....

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps3vjtw8md.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...psvayvdkk7.jpg

... it takes some patience to learn how to maximize rotation on concave areas, but it is absolutely no big deal once you get the hang of the large throw machines.