Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bird Poop...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 01:16 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Bird Poop...

So got bombed in the sun and it dried up and after washing it left a mark. Any suggestions? Tried rubbing compound by hand and it doesn't work.

any suggestions would be appreciated. Love in Ventura / LA County border

Old 02-14-17, 01:28 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

This is a tuff one, I have the same on my hood in a few spots tried everything but no go the panel beater said respray the hood, but I just ignore it but it wont go away lol, any suggestions would be good though.
Old 02-14-17, 01:33 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Steve Meade here on the forums had an issue with bad bird crap on his car. the paint had to be wetsanded and polished. Did you try a clay bar? you may be screwed and need to sand the clear.
Old 02-14-17, 01:35 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

This might have to go to the detailing section btw.
Old 02-14-17, 01:43 PM
cvt
Racer

I haven't tried claying it. Just tried with 3M rubbing compound by hand and it's still there. Funny thing is is that it's sooth and doesn't feel like it burned all the way through. I'll have some detailers take a look at it but wanted to know if anyone had any home remedies before I seek professional help.
Old 02-15-17, 06:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Bird bombs are some nasty stuff... the droppings are often highly acidic and can begin to eat into paint within minutes. When it is paired with high heat on a dark colored car, it can create permanent damage.

If caught immediately, bird droppings may simply be cleaned away without leaving any etching. If left to sit for even a little while, the outline will likely leave an etching in the paint. The severity of the damage can range from a light etching that can be removed by machine compounding or polishing, to a moderately severe etching that requires sanding and polishing, to a very severe etching that has worked its way through the clear coat and therefore will require repainting of the entire panel to properly repair.

Believe it or not, hard water spots and bug splatter can cause the same type of damage ranging from mild to severe. It is very important to address these types of contaminants very quickly to avoid trips to the body shop.

I would recommend visiting a reputable detailer in your area who can inspect the damage, take paint measurements, and decide if it is something that can be removed with sanding or if it has indeed penetrated the clear and is in need of repainting.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-17, 07:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

A good paint coating like Opti-coat helps resist damage from the bird poop. I had bird poop bake in the sun for a couple hours at least and it came off without any damage on my opti-coated car. Good stuff
Old 02-16-17, 09:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
A good paint coating like Opti-coat helps resist damage from the bird poop. I had bird poop bake in the sun for a couple hours at least and it came off without any damage on my opti-coated car. Good stuff
Opti Coat and other longer lasting coatings are good but normally won't do much for the nasty bird crap that eats right into clear coat like what the poster has. There are different types of bird crap from different types of birds, the little white splotches from smaller birds generally are not very damaging even if left on for a while but there is some bird crap that is often reddish, more clear, often with a lot of seeds in it that is absolutely devastating to clear coat and it can permanently damage it in less then a hour in the hot sun. If it can eat through a factory clear coat in an hour or less it will certainly go right through any coating that is applied above the cc. Years ago my dad just had his hood repainted, when we went to pick the car up I noticed it had a nasty bird dropping on it, the body shop decided to put the car out in the sun to help dry it, big mistake, I quickly got some tissues and tried to soak the stain and remove it as quickly as possible but could see it had already etched the paint and eaten right through the fresh clear coat, told my dad that will be permanent and will only get worse, it took the body shop hours to try to correct it and it was still somewhat visible, the car was parked out in the sun for less then a hour. I have seen it personally on my car, I had opti coat on my spoiler and a coating of Zaino on top of it. Thought I was well protected but saw that big nasty reddish bird crap with the seeds on it on the spoiler in the hot sun. I wiped it off and noticed it was etched, tried polishing it and then even compounding it but it was too late, had to eventually repaint my spoiler. They need to make better clearcoats from the factory to deal with nasty bird crap.

For the OP unfortunately it is permanent damage. You might be able to wet sand and polish and make it less noticeable but you will be removing a fair amount of clear. I would try to ignore it because there is really nothing you can do aside from a repaint.
Old 02-16-17, 01:36 PM
cvt
Racer

So I got a detailer to try to buff it out but it only made the spot shiny and more smooth...lol. Yeah I think I'm screwed, unless I fork over $600 to get the entire roof repainted. I was thinking a cf vinyl wrap just to cover it because it sticks out like a sore thumb, but seeing some wraps in person I thought ummm...no...lol.

i guess I'll live with it. The weird thing is, is that I can't even "fill" it with touch up paint as it feels smooth and level with the rest of the paint. Freakin' birds...
Old 02-16-17, 03:16 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Wet sand it?
Old 02-16-17, 03:17 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Wet sand it?
im ashamed of my ignorance to ask what that is...lol
Old 02-16-17, 03:21 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Sand the area with high grit sand paper. Using water as a lubricant. Then compound and polish it. Steve Meade had to do it due to nuclear bird **** on his obsidian F.
Old 02-16-17, 03:25 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/606220-lexus-got-bird-s-t-on-so-bad-today-uhhhhgggg.html
Old 04-25-17, 06:42 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

So this happened to me yesterday, huge droppings on the edge of my hood, closest to the cowl. It baked in while I was at work and when I got a chance to clean it off with detail spray, low and behold it melted through the first layer of clear. I guess its time to correct the hood or get it painted soon. Birds are evil.
Old 04-25-17, 05:38 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Steve Meade here on the forums had an issue with bad bird crap on his car. the paint had to be wetsanded and polished. Did you try a clay bar? you may be screwed and need to sand the clear.
Don't waste your money on clay bar, this is not something that attached to the paint. This is a burn into the clear due to the acidity of the bird poop.

Polishing and wet sanding is what's needed here, I would go to someone professional with this case.

Quick Reply: Bird Poop...