Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Restoring Aluminum Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 02:38 PM
groat21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring Aluminum Rims

I'm looking to restore/repaint these aluminum rims. They are flaking pretty badly, and I found this video showing a good way to prep/paint them, only problem is I don't have a sandblaster and have been quoted at about $40 per rim just to sandblast.

Any ideas on how I could prep them for paint other than sandblast?

Here are the pictures of my rims from my 2000 Lexus ES300

Also, I have read about using a Zinc Chromate Primer instead of a Self-Etching primer. Which is better?

Last edited by groat21; 05-16-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-16-18, 06:20 PM
groat21
Driver School Candidate

Best thing I've found is just to sand the crap out of them by hand. If I do this, what grit should I start with and work up to before priming and painting?
Old 05-17-18, 05:18 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

What grit to start with depends on the severity of the damage to your wheels. You have to just test it and see what works for you. If I remember correctly, most primers want you to stop at 220 or 320 grit for best adhesion. The primer will specify on the can.
Old 05-17-18, 07:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Easiest way to refinish those yourself would be the following:

1.Peel off any huge chunks of loose paint (Free)
2. Get a can or two of aircraft paint stripper (like $10-12 bucks a can last I bought it).
3.Spray on the wheels and let the chemical remove the paint from the metal. Usually requires a few applications to fully strip.
4. Once the paint is stripped, sand or scuff the metal and go to primer/paint of your choice.

If you have alot of time on your hands and enjoy DIY type projects, then this might be a fun thing to do. If you are busy and value your time, I recommend just having a powdercoater take car of it but typically a job for 4 wheels can range between $250-$500 depending on the finish you want. Not cheap.
Old 05-17-18, 08:15 PM
groat21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Easiest way to refinish those yourself would be the following:

1.Peel off any huge chunks of loose paint (Free)
2. Get a can or two of aircraft paint stripper (like $10-12 bucks a can last I bought it).
3.Spray on the wheels and let the chemical remove the paint from the metal. Usually requires a few applications to fully strip.
4. Once the paint is stripped, sand or scuff the metal and go to primer/paint of your choice.

If you have alot of time on your hands and enjoy DIY type projects, then this might be a fun thing to do. If you are busy and value your time, I recommend just having a powdercoater take car of it but typically a job for 4 wheels can range between $250-$500 depending on the finish you want. Not cheap.

The time isn't a problem, but I'd like them to come out the same colour they are now, or as close to that as possible.

What would I use to get that colour/finish myself?
Old 05-17-18, 08:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

You might want to look for a used set in better condition as an inexpensive alternative as well
Old 05-17-18, 08:23 PM
groat21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You might want to look for a used set in better condition as an inexpensive alternative as well
I've looked, they're hard to find though
Old 05-17-18, 09:21 PM
groat21
Driver School Candidate

Does anybody know what the finish on these rims is? One website said Hyper Silver but they look lighter than other pictures I've seen of Hyper Silver rims.

Can get the wheels refinished for around $150 each if it's just regular silver, or $200 each if it's Hyper Silver

Last edited by groat21; 05-17-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-18-18, 07:04 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

That would be too much labor for me. I'd send them out to a wheel refurbishing service. They have all the right tools and finishes to restore them.
Old 05-18-18, 12:42 PM
groat21
Driver School Candidate

Found a place out in Brampton that said 300-350 to redo the set. Probably going to do that, only problem is I need to take the wheels off and drive them up from St. Catharines, and I'm not really equipped to do that.
Old 05-18-18, 06:48 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by groat21
Found a place out in Brampton that said 300-350 to redo the set. Probably going to do that, only problem is I need to take the wheels off and drive them up from St. Catharines, and I'm not really equipped to do that.
Find another powdercoater. Many places just let you drop off the car, they'll put it up on a lift, take all the wheels off, refinish them and re-install on the vehicle.

That's how I recommend doing it, that way the guy refinishing the wheels deals with the tires as well. You don't want to take it to another place to re-install and balance tires because if the finish comes off, the powdercoater can just claim that their equipment was too "harsh" and he is not liable. I've heard many horror stories like this. ALWAYS take it to a place that will mount and balance the tires for you after the refinishing job is done. Thank me later.
Old 05-18-18, 08:05 PM
groat21
Driver School Candidate

Find another powdercoater. Many places just let you drop off the car, they'll put it up on a lift, take all the wheels off, refinish them and re-install on the vehicle.

That's how I recommend doing it, that way the guy refinishing the wheels deals with the tires as well. You don't want to take it to another place to re-install and balance tires because if the finish comes off, the powdercoater can just claim that their equipment was too "harsh" and he is not liable. I've heard many horror stories like this. ALWAYS take it to a place that will mount and balance the tires for you after the refinishing job is done. Thank me later.
All the other places I've called have been $150 per rim and up, although I found one where I can just bring my car and leave it there until it's done.

As for the place that quoted me $300-350 for the set, they can do it without removing the tires, but they said they send the rims elsewhere to get prepped for painting, and the process usually takes 1-2 weeks, so they don't have room to leave my car in their shop for that long.

If I could find somewhere that is around the same price that would be able to store my car while they finish them, that would be ideal. But I'm not sure where else to check.
Old 05-19-18, 08:31 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by groat21
All the other places I've called have been $150 per rim and up, although I found one where I can just bring my car and leave it there until it's done.

As for the place that quoted me $300-350 for the set, they can do it without removing the tires, but they said they send the rims elsewhere to get prepped for painting, and the process usually takes 1-2 weeks, so they don't have room to leave my car in their shop for that long.

If I could find somewhere that is around the same price that would be able to store my car while they finish them, that would be ideal. But I'm not sure where else to check.
If they are not taking the tires off, then they are just spray painting them... RUN fast and run very far away from that place.

Your wheels need to be completely stripped and media blasted based o nthe picture you posted, they are completely full of corrosion which is why the paint is flaking off. I have an 01 ES300 Coach with those exact same wheels and although my wheels are nowhere near that bad, they are starting to bubble around the center caps most likely from all the winter driving we have put it through over the years.

The ONLY proper way to refinish those would be a full media blasting process (which require removal of the tires), and powdercoating.

They would need to blast the inner section of the wheel also that meets the bead of the tire as that's the number one spot where corrosion starts happening, again you cannot even see let alone access that area until the tires are off.

Either pay appropriately to get it done right or do not waste your money at all and live with how they are now.
Old 05-19-18, 08:54 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The original finish looks like it's diamond cut which is an expensive finish to replicate. Most shops aren't equipped to do it. It's a finish that is applied to raw metal which would require putting the wheels on a lathe and cutting the face down to a raw machine finish before applying a type of clear (powder or anodizing). The best you can do (affordably) is to redo them in silver.

I have to agree, save up and pay to have the rims powder coated properly if you want the best outcome.

Paint won't hold up to the abuse wheels experience, so it's not worth spending $350. I would rather spend a weekend and $75-100 on materials and spray paint them myself and do touch ups when it starts chipping in 1-2 years or leave them as is. Another option is putting that money towards buying a wheel off a more modern lexus.
Old 05-21-18, 12:40 PM
groat21
Driver School Candidate

If they are not taking the tires off, then they are just spray painting them... RUN fast and run very far away from that place.

Your wheels need to be completely stripped and media blasted based o nthe picture you posted, they are completely full of corrosion which is why the paint is flaking off. I have an 01 ES300 Coach with those exact same wheels and although my wheels are nowhere near that bad, they are starting to bubble around the center caps most likely from all the winter driving we have put it through over the years.

The ONLY proper way to refinish those would be a full media blasting process (which require removal of the tires), and powdercoating.

They would need to blast the inner section of the wheel also that meets the bead of the tire as that's the number one spot where corrosion starts happening, again you cannot even see let alone access that area until the tires are off.

Either pay appropriately to get it done right or do not waste your money at all and live with how they are now.
They said they would be sending it off to get them blasted, I just assumed they would leave the tires on though. I will call in tomorrow and ask though. And as for them "spray painting" it, they also said they're going to be powdercoating them. Thought $300 was a pretty good price for that.

If I go the route of painting them myself, what colour do you recommend to get as close to that finish as possible (or what will look the best, or the least cheap looking finish)