Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Top Coat vs Hydrosilex, vs......

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 09:17 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Top Coat vs Hydrosilex, vs......

Ok Fellow Members, what say you about these, or ANY other brought to the table for discussion? Yes- I have conducted thorough searches within this section - but want to hear more from anyone who's used either with success, or regret?

https://topcoat.store/

https://www.hydrosilex.com/

Next month I will be having my RCF fully covered by PPF and the Installers use Cquart,Pro and GTechniq Crystal Serum. I suppose you would say I am exploring other options, and thus turn to any Professional suggestions from the crew.

Pic included for what they will be working on.
Attached Thumbnails Top Coat vs Hydrosilex, vs......-sunside-full.jpg  
Old 05-16-18, 08:50 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently had the paint corrected on my 350 F Sport (I suck with the polisher) and they coated it with Ceramic Pro Sport. Its sort of a cheap version of getting the full ceramic treating and its supposed to last up to 6 + months. I purchased the car coming off a lease so it was in good condition mechanically but the paint was bad - swirls, scratches and a few rock chips. I spent 500 on a level 2 paint correction (80-90 correction) and the coating which I feel was good price as I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a 3yr old car that is a daily driver. - looks great.

That being said I also purchased a bottle of Hydrosilex to treat the car every month or so when I wash it or after a quick detail to help extend the life of the coating. I have seen a lot of negative reviews on Hydrosilex but I don't have any complaints. I tried it first as the website shows you just squirting it on after a wash and rinsing but I didn't like how it turned out but could have been operator error on my part and it wastes a lot of product in my opinion. Now I wash the car with with CarPro Reset, blow it dry and use a micro fiber drying towel and then apply the Hydrosilex dry and it seems to work great. I can't speak for the longevity yet but so far so good (about 2 - 3 months).

I think after this runs its course though I'm going to try the TopCoat, partially just because I always have to try something new and I think you could literally just keep adding coats every few moths and have your car at the same level of protection you would have with a ceramic coating for a faction of the price.

Last edited by Hudrock; 05-16-18 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (05-17-18)
Old 05-17-18, 04:50 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Very interesting story and good points Hudrock. Thx for sharing pal.
Been reading a lot of folks using the "Blow Dry" method and would be interested in seeing what you use to do this with? I "tried" doing it with my high end backpack leaf blower but it was so awkward. Had to be extremely careful not to touch the plastic tip to the car, plus could not get it high enough to blow all water from the very top. Im sure there are some specialized "weapons" for doing this with and would like to see what guys like you are using. Thx again for speaking on Hydrosilex!
Old 05-17-18, 06:43 AM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

I just use a cheap hand held leaf blower (electrical) and these towels... Works great

Greenworks 2401502 Blower 9 Amp 180 Mph 2-Speed, Black and Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7HNTVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xAy.AbZWXAHHM

(2-Pack) THE RAG COMPANY 20 in. x 40 in. PLATINUM PLUFFLE Professional Korean 70/30 490gsm Plush Waffle Microfiber Detailing and Drying Towels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ZQUP4A?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
GunnyFitz (05-17-18)
Old 05-17-18, 09:20 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I've heard Hydrosilex beads water pretty well but it really doesn't hold up as long as they claim. I read on one of the detailer sites that they may have changed the formula. The early posters raved about it but later posters didn't see the results and didn't think it was worth the money. I don't anything about Top Coat.
GunnyFitz (05-17-18)
Old 05-17-18, 09:49 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thanks folks. Means a lot.
Been looking thru this section soaking up (pun intended) a lot of what I'll need for future care.
Must admit - I am interested in these powerful Blow Drying Devices! As I said earlier, I tried using my leaf blower but the damn thing is so big and cumbersome I was terrified Id hit the car with the tip! Seems the Pro Models cost a fortune huh?

https://www.theartofcleanliness.com/...-drying-a-car/

Also seriously in need of something to assist in keeping my "Ceramic Coated" Wheels clean too!
There has to be some sort of spray formulated for these coatings that's mild enough to clean the massive amounts of brake dust I get on my wheels! Even the softest brush to get back behind the wheel itself has to be soft enough NOT to scratch up the coating.
Amazon Amazon

Where to begin?????????
Old 05-17-18, 05:03 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

I use CarPro Reset to wash my car and CarPro ECH2O as a quick detailer. Both work fantastic and are designed for ceramic type coatings. A little goes a long way when you dilute them according to instructions.
http://a.co/8rIae6p
http://a.co/dl0cAJr

Wheel Cleaning sucks no matter how you spin it but a necessary evil. The brush work excellent as it gets everywhere behind your wheels but watch the "goop sling" when you pull the brush out. I use the mitt to clean the exterior wheels. Nothing seems to get into the nook and crannies like your fingers.
http://a.co/3SKZMPU
http://a.co/3ck3nuk
Old 05-17-18, 05:08 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

I don't have any experience with top coat or hydrosilex, but they seem like stand alone products. Most coating brands make their own coating toppers and have instructions on when to use them, so I would be researching those if I were you.

For machine drying, the best option is supposed to be the 8hp metro blaster. The best drying towel is the Griots PFM towel.
Old 05-20-18, 05:38 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Porter Cable Day

Figured it was my thread so why not.
Since it was so nicely overcast and cool yesterday, I broke out the old Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital "Error Proof" Buffer. Even in the hands of an amateur this thing is absolutely awesome! Those of you here in this Detail Section that have one know what mean. I Did have to look up which colored pads are for different purposes. (White for Finishing Cream n Red for Waxing- Or Blue)

Always been a huge Pinnacle fan so I used both the Advanced Fininshing Sealant & Sovereign Wax. I can't get over how that Finishing stuff removes all the swirl Mark's n tiny scuffs too!

Those of yoos guys with this PC Machine, what sort of products do you use on your car - and which colored pads work best for you too?

Ps. Ever seen these? Those little lights on bottom of each door that shine downward once opened. Literally a 3 minute swap, and they only cost like $12 too!

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 05-20-18 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 05:19 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

**NOTE- Anyone subscribed to this with me, or even just passing thru- AutoGeek has 30% off ALL MIcrofiber Towels and wares today!!
Hudrock (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 07:32 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Figured it was my thread so why not.
Since it was so nicely overcast and cool yesterday, I broke out the old Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital "Error Proof" Buffer. Even in the hands of an amateur this thing is absolutely awesome! Those of you here in this Detail Section that have one know what mean. I Did have to look up which colored pads are for different purposes. (White for Finishing Cream n Red for Waxing- Or Blue)

Always been a huge Pinnacle fan so I used both the Advanced Fininshing Sealant & Sovereign Wax. I can't get over how that Finishing stuff removes all the swirl Mark's n tiny scuffs too!

Those of yoos guys with this PC Machine, what sort of products do you use on your car - and which colored pads work best for you too?

Ps. Ever seen these? Those little lights on bottom of each door that shine downward once opened. Literally a 3 minute swap, and they only cost like $12 too!
Looking good my man! Like you mentioned below, pad choices are dictated by how your paint condition is. I've only used Lake Country foam pads as they've worked pretty good for me and gets the type of results I wanted.

Pads
  • Purple - Aggressive cut pad and would only recommend this if you've neglected your paint ever since ownership
  • Yellow - Moderate amount of swirls.
  • Orange - Light cutting. Removes light swirls
  • Black - Sealant / Wax applicator
Products used and ordered by favorite
  • Meguiars M105/M205
  • Optimum Hyper Series
  • Griots Garage Boss 3 Step System
Old 06-03-18, 06:11 AM
RichKeagy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Every garage should have a Labrador or two.
I have three.
Beautiful car! You're doing a great job maintaining it!

Last edited by RichKeagy; 06-03-18 at 06:19 AM. Reason: forgot to mention his car
Old 06-03-18, 09:40 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Service Dog

Originally Posted by RichKeagy
Every garage should have a Labrador or two.
I have three.
Beautiful car! You're doing a great job maintaining it!
Many thanks Rich!
He is a fully trained, ADA Certified TBI / PTSD Service Dog (not emotional support or any of these dogs being seen on airlines n news now!)

I've had "Russell" since 2012 after being turned down the first time I applied. You may have seen the Documentary on TV about the Org Puppies Behind Bars who used inmates in Upstate NY prisons to train Labs from 8 weeks until 18 months before being selected for Disabled Vets w VA Ratings for both. Hes truly saved my life Rich. Labs are most definitely in love w their owners for sure! Even got him this awesome Harness which attaches thru the seat belt so hes completely buckled in - but can sit up, turn around, etc. Little tough to set up at first but once fitted it's well worth it for their safety!

https://ruffwear.com/collections/harnesses/products/load-up-harness

Thanks again for the car compliments man!!
Old 06-05-18, 07:15 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Ok. Another Question Please

Pinnacle Soveriegn Spray Wax
OR
Griots Best in Show Spray Wax?

As said before, huge Pinnacle lover here but local shops dont carry it. Picked up the Griots today for a steal. You guys ever smelled this stuff!! 🎂

Ok to be used over Pinnacle Waxes without issue, or are they all the same when it really comes down to it?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-18, 07:33 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Pinnacle Soveriegn Spray Wax
OR
Griots Best in Show Spray Wax?

As said before, huge Pinnacle lover here but local shops dont carry it. Picked up the Griots today for a steal. You guys ever smelled this stuff!! 🎂

Ok to be used over Pinnacle Waxes without issue, or are they all the same when it really comes down to it?

Thanks!
I've used the Griots Best in Show Spray Wax. Pretty good and no streaking.
GunnyFitz (06-06-18)

Quick Reply: Top Coat vs Hydrosilex, vs......