Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax drying white in paint pits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 05:16 PM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wax drying white in paint pits?

Not too sure what to search for to find more information but I recently used a buffer to go over the car with a compound, polish, wax after a claybar. A week later, things look a little worse than before I did it. White scratches and dots everywhere (see picture). Then it dawned on me. Could this be the wax drying in some of the paint pits that got missed with a final detail cloth? If so, I'm not too sure how to get these cleaned up or if I should consider an alternative to wax. I can feel the majority of these with the back of my fingernail if that helps.

Old 05-17-18, 07:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If that's really dried up compound inside all those paint chips.....than good luck getting that out. Stuff turns into basically mild cement after a week or so. Don't buy a black car next time.
Old 05-18-18, 04:33 AM
Broncosi
Pole Position

So anyone who waxes their car and has any imperfections in their paint, will just have a dalmatian of a car until they buy another one? Wait, maybe no one else has ever waxed their car. Or maybe everyone stores their 10 year old cars in show rooms!

So what's the move from here?
Old 05-18-18, 08:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Is that the roof pillar? It is kind of odd to have a bunch of chips and scratches on the roof pillar unless that is hail damage. Was the finish spot free when you were done polishing? If it was then it is doubtful that is dried on polish/wax. Normally rubbing alcohol or a dish soap and water will get rid of dried on wax or polish, you may have to work it a little. I would try a small area with that and see if that removes the white spots, some deeper scratches are white and unfortunately nothing much can be done for them. If the white spots eventually come off I would get them all off and go with a new sealant and make sure you wipe it off fully with a micro fiber when you are done waxing, just put a thin layer of sealant or wax on, normally you can avoid the white spots if you make sure you wipe the sealant or wax off fully, some older waxes and a few sealants can be pretty bad when it comes to drying white in chips. You can try Dr. Color Chip if you have a ton of nicks and chips but it can be a PIA to use and is not perfect.
Old 05-18-18, 09:54 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncosi
So anyone who waxes their car and has any imperfections in their paint, will just have a dalmatian of a car until they buy another one?
There is always the option of repainting, but buying a new car is usually easier.

I've seen plenty of damage like that on the hood of black Lexus/Toyotas, but usually not on the A pillar. It leads me to think it's compound sling from using too big of a pad on a small area. Or maybe someone ran over wet paint when driving near you (since you can feel it).

The next step is IPA wipedown to strip whatever is on there. If the dots still exist, then try polishing again and do the process over.
Old 05-20-18, 08:39 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncosi
So anyone who waxes their car and has any imperfections in their paint, will just have a dalmatian of a car until they buy another one? Wait, maybe no one else has ever waxed their car. Or maybe everyone stores their 10 year old cars in show rooms!

So what's the move from here?
The next move is to buy a silver or a white car.

If you want black, buy brand new and put a clear bra on the entire front end.

Trust me it's going to be a major pain in the *** to clean up the wax residue from all the pitting and chips in the paint. Even if you do clean it up, you're going to be left with a million rock chips in the paint.

I always thought only two kinds of people buy a black car as a daily driver, those that do not give a F*** about how the car looks and look past all the small imperfections or those that have too much free time on their hands and dedicate hours every week to keep the car looking presentable.
Old 05-20-18, 11:19 AM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
There is always the option of repainting, but buying a new car is usually easier.

I've seen plenty of damage like that on the hood of black Lexus/Toyotas, but usually not on the A pillar. It leads me to think it's compound sling from using too big of a pad on a small area. Or maybe someone ran over wet paint when driving near you (since you can feel it).

The next step is IPA wipedown to strip whatever is on there. If the dots still exist, then try polishing again and do the process over.
Compound sling sounds very reasonable of what happened. I bought some Chemical Guys VSS scratch and swirl remover since using the compound and polish as separate steps. Could you explain a little about what compound sling is, how to avoid it and how to fix it if it's already done? Or provide a link for some articles to read up about it?

EDIT: I read about IPA wipedown. Looks like I would do the IPA, then seal again. Correct? I wouldn't do the CG swirl remover since that was already done?

Last edited by Broncosi; 05-20-18 at 11:29 AM.