Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best way to maintain the shine/depth

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 10:00 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Best way to maintain the shine/depth

So on my Matador ISC, I spent some time clay barring, polish, and wax.

I really like the depth to the paint.

Car is garaged. Is driven 3-4 times a week. I am not a big proponent of car washing, and usually just do a Meguirs/Mothers/NXT quick detail spray+microfiber on the weekends.

Curious, if there are other recommendations on maintaining this look, without washing?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Best way to maintain the shine/depth-img_3658.jpg   Best way to maintain the shine/depth-img_3659.jpg  
Old 04-27-18, 11:25 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover

Car is garaged. Is driven 3-4 times a week. I am not a big proponent of car washing, and usually just do a Meguirs/Mothers/NXT quick detail spray+microfiber on the weekends.

Curious, if there are other recommendations on maintaining this look, without washing?

Thanks
I mean...when it gets dirty, you have to wash it. If you want ease of washing, you should really look into a ceramic coating (CQuartz, Ceramic Pro, Opti-Coat, Gtechnique, Gyeon, etc.).

You can do waterless or rinseless washes to save the time and clean-up typically required for a bucket wash if the car is not too dirty.
Old 04-27-18, 11:38 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by np20412
I mean...when it gets dirty, you have to wash it. If you want ease of washing, you should really look into a ceramic coating (CQuartz, Ceramic Pro, Opti-Coat, Gtechnique, Gyeon, etc.).

You can do waterless or rinseless washes to save the time and clean-up typically required for a bucket wash if the car is not too dirty.
Thank you. I usually go 24-30 months on my cars without washing. Doing a QD after every few days, seem to keep them looking perfect.

Around here, only little dust. No rain, or other issues
Old 04-27-18, 12:45 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks
Looks like a car thats quick detailed on a daily.

The way most people quick detail their dirty cars add a lot of swirls an damage to the paint during the process not sure how you quick detail it, but I would up the product to ONR rinse less washing or something similar and upping the quick detailer to a dedicated synthetic wax such as meguiars xpress spray wax. That way your gaining a lot more protection for the same amount of work. Today's products is nothing like before where we had to use paste wax back then (sometimes an all day task), technology has blessed us in many ways. Reducing the work time, easier to use, good as drying aid, plenty of off label use, synethic and same if not better durability/protection.

Not a Lexus, but a 10+ year old car that I dedicate 30 mins weekly to keep it in top notch with a simple rinse less wax and wax, all original paint, hasn't been polished still going strong. Would love to polish it for maximum bling one day but then all of the dings from bad la drivers that occurred from the past decade would show and it wouldn't look appropriate.

Last edited by k20trick; 04-27-18 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (05-24-18)
Old 04-27-18, 01:21 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by k20trick

The way most people quick detail their dirty cars add a lot of swirls an damage to the paint during the process not sure how you quick detail it, but I would up the product to ONR rinse less washing or something similar and upping the quick detailer to a dedicated synthetic wax such as meguiars xpress spray wax. That way your gaining a lot more protection for the same amount of work. Today's products is nothing like before where we had to use paste wax back then (sometimes an all day task), technology has blessed us in many ways. Reducing the work time, easier to use, good as drying aid, plenty of off label use, synethic and same if not better durability/protection.

Not a Lexus, but a 10+ year old car that I dedicate 30 mins weekly to keep it in top notch with a simple rinse less wax and wax, all original paint, hasn't been polished still going strong. Would love to polish it for maximum bling one day but then all of the dings from bad la drivers that occurred from the past decade would show and it wouldn't look appropriate.

Dang I used to have the same car and color (6 speed) and it never looked that good!! PROPS, especially for what seems minimal effort to maintain!
Old 04-27-18, 01:50 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Dang I used to have the same car and color (6 speed) and it never looked that good!! PROPS, especially for what seems minimal effort to maintain!
You have great taste! Yeah I think these cars are becoming more rare and everyone you see has clear coat failure (or near to it) at this age, Acura/Honda is not known for their good paint either, probably slightly above the worst in the industry.

6speed is the only way to enjoy these cars

Well the first time always takes the longest, but after that maintenance becomes a breeze.
Old 04-27-18, 02:40 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

You have great taste! Yeah I think these cars are becoming more rare and everyone you see has clear coat failure (or near to it) at this age, Acura/Honda is not known for their good paint either, probably slightly above the worst in the industry.

6speed is the only way to enjoy these cars

Well the first time always takes the longest, but after that maintenance becomes a breeze.
Yup. I was blown away when I test drove it and saw how much fun I could have with a 2.4L 4 banger. It had so much pep for what it was. I was doing quite a bit of driving so the MPG and fun factor sealed it for me. Drove that car from 39k to 128k in just over 5 years. Then the bumper started falling off and we had a kid so traded it for my Infiniti. It still ran great mechanically tho, never had a single major issue with it.
Old 04-27-18, 06:04 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Yup. I was blown away when I test drove it and saw how much fun I could have with a 2.4L 4 banger. It had so much pep for what it was. I was doing quite a bit of driving so the MPG and fun factor sealed it for me. Drove that car from 39k to 128k in just over 5 years. Then the bumper started falling off and we had a kid so traded it for my Infiniti. It still ran great mechanically tho, never had a single major issue with it.
Definitely

To thread starter what Im trying to say is save those quick detailers for touchups of missed spots or emergencys and instead use a spray wax, since you use the meguiars they also make an off the shelf one that performs great although it can get costly buying retail may be a good product to try out in lieu of the nxt quick detailer.
Old 05-24-18, 06:03 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

So I’m a bit confused. Do people wash their cars or use a spray only, or...? My question is, how does one avoid the micro-swirl marks left behind after multiple and multiple washes?

I understand the use of two buckets, microfiber towels, and not taking the car to a car wash that uses brushes. Beyond what one finds out on YouTube, is there something specific or special about how we are to take care of the exterior of our cars?
Old 05-24-18, 06:13 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cimabeu
So I’m a bit confused. Do people wash their cars or use a spray only, or...? My question is, how does one avoid the micro-swirl marks left behind after multiple and multiple washes?

I understand the use of two buckets, microfiber towels, and not taking the car to a car wash that uses brushes. Beyond what one finds out on YouTube, is there something specific or special about how we are to take care of the exterior of our cars?

we have 9 cars. I wash each every 24 months. Otherwise all gets quick detailed only
Old 05-24-18, 06:14 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Definitely

To thread starter what Im trying to say is save those quick detailers for touchups of missed spots or emergencys and instead use a spray wax, since you use the meguiars they also make an off the shelf one that performs great although it can get costly buying retail may be a good product to try out in lieu of the nxt quick detailer.
thank you kindly

where can you buy the spray wax you recommended more in bulk ?
Old 05-24-18, 06:23 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

thank you

Googled ONR and ordered some

so what do you do? Do you do ONR on weekends and put meguiars spray wax right after ?

Or or do you use spray wax as a qd on other days?

Thanks

Old 05-24-18, 06:29 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

we have 9 cars. I wash each every 24 months. Otherwise all gets quick detailed only
Where can I get more info on this technique? YouTube, article, thread here?
Old 05-27-18, 02:36 PM
k20trick
Instructor

thank you

Googled ONR and ordered some

so what do you do? Do you do ONR on weekends and put meguiars spray wax right after ?

Or or do you use spray wax as a qd on other days?

Thanks

Really depends on what the car needs, but yes I use that rinse less method as maintenance using distilled water (this allows me to avoid water spots and let the chemicals work better than with using tap water) with about 15-20 microfibers and a nice drying towel such as the pluffle 20x40 spritzed with xpress spray wax, you can spray the clean panel or microfiber direct. Then quick detailer for any missed spots you may encounter.

The microfibers stay clean after a cold wash and light air dry so it may sound like I use a lot but they are reusable.
Old 05-28-18, 07:13 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have been through the coatings and am back to sealants. I like the appearance of a sealant better than the coatings I've used. The last was Pinnacle. So I am back with a sealant which I redo every quarter. I maintain the paint here in Florida with occasional washing, if needed, but usually I use a QD to remove light dust and pollen daily and apply UQW Spray (D156) after the QD. Easy and quick, with no regard to overspray or use of different products for exterior vinyl. This approach keeps my paint deep and vibrant with very little effort. I also now have a Matador Red ES and this color really pops in the sun with this treatment, a jaw dropping appearance. The regular application keeps the surface smooth and slippery so cleaning is ultra easy as nothing sticks.
Matador Red ES-350

Quick Reply: Best way to maintain the shine/depth