Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best way to maintain the shine/depth

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 12:02 PM
CTL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
Looks like a car thats quick detailed on a daily.

The way most people quick detail their dirty cars add a lot of swirls an damage to the paint during the process not sure how you quick detail it, but I would up the product to ONR rinse less washing or something similar and upping the quick detailer to a dedicated synthetic wax such as meguiars xpress spray wax. That way your gaining a lot more protection for the same amount of work. Today's products is nothing like before where we had to use paste wax back then (sometimes an all day task), technology has blessed us in many ways. Reducing the work time, easier to use, good as drying aid, plenty of off label use, synethic and same if not better durability/protection.

Not a Lexus, but a 10+ year old car that I dedicate 30 mins weekly to keep it in top notch with a simple rinse less wax and wax, all original paint, hasn't been polished still going strong. Would love to polish it for maximum bling one day but then all of the dings from bad la drivers that occurred from the past decade would show and it wouldn't look appropriate.

wow this is in amazing condition for an older honda/acura. usually after 10-12 years honda paint gets oxidized.
Old 05-28-18, 04:09 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I have been through the coatings and am back to sealants. I like the appearance of a sealant better than the coatings I've used. The last was Pinnacle. So I am back with a sealant which I redo every quarter. I maintain the paint here in Florida with occasional washing, if needed, but usually I use a QD to remove light dust and pollen daily and apply UQW Spray (D156) after the QD. Easy and quick, with no regard to overspray or use of different products for exterior vinyl. This approach keeps my paint deep and vibrant with very little effort. I also now have a Matador Red ES and this color really pops in the sun with this treatment, a jaw dropping appearance. The regular application keeps the surface smooth and slippery so cleaning is ultra easy as nothing sticks.
Matador Red ES-350
I like the idea of a easy sealant application when you are finishing up a QD. You have to clean it anyway so why not just apply the sealant when you finish the QD. Great logic.

As an aside, what were your issues with coatings?
I would think that a ceramic coating could be enhanced without having to redo the whole process.

Thanks for the post.
Old 05-28-18, 05:04 PM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up my 17 ES a few weeks back and the day after I got it home it got a full treatment, clay bar, a quick polish since there was no real problems and then a coat of Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax which is more like a sealant than a wax. I wash every week, the dirt flys off what dirt can and does stick is usually only from tire sling during the rains. And after every wash I wipe the car with D156 Megs Synthetic Spray wax. Car is like glass, water flys off the surface. There are TONS of products and brands out there, just find what YOU like best.

Old 05-28-18, 05:16 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Luscombe8A
I like the idea of a easy sealant application when you are finishing up a QD. You have to clean it anyway so why not just apply the sealant when you finish the QD. Great logic.

As an aside, what were your issues with coatings?
I would think that a ceramic coating could be enhanced without having to redo the whole process.

Thanks for the post.
I just like the appearance of a sealant on my vehicles better than the coatings I've used.
Old 05-28-18, 06:53 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I just like the appearance of a sealant on my vehicles better than the coatings I've used.

I was a user of Wolfgang DGPS for years. But now that I have a kid, I don't have time to reapply every couple of months like i used to. I went with Cquartz this time, and once the paint was prepped, I cannot tell the difference between sealant and ceramic coating. It definitely feels much different, but visibly I cannot tell. But, I am an amateur, and not a pro at detailing.
Old 05-30-18, 07:39 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyD
I was a user of Wolfgang DGPS for years. But now that I have a kid, I don't have time to reapply every couple of months like i used to. I went with Cquartz this time, and once the paint was prepped, I cannot tell the difference between sealant and ceramic coating. It definitely feels much different, but visibly I cannot tell. But, I am an amateur, and not a pro at detailing.
Kind of the same mentality I'm in. I went with the coating because the ease of maintenance. I do about 1 or 2 washes per month at home using ONR and usually doesn't take too long to finish the whole car.