Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Headlight Restoration for LS460L...NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 03:19 PM
redsoxfan6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Headlight Restoration for LS460L...NEED HELP

Hello, I attempted to use a 2 step headlight liquid polish kit on my headlights in order to get the oxidation off, and get them looking new. After I buffed by hand the 2nd step liquid, my headlight is now white/foggy. I don't know if this has to do with a factory coating on the headlights or what, but, any assistance would be greatly appreciated to get my headlights back to new looking. Thank you very much.

Last edited by redsoxfan6; 04-12-18 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-12-18, 08:56 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have photos, please upload them so we can be of more assistance.

In general, there are a couple things that can go wrong with headlight restoration attempts.

#1 - Too aggressive. If you are too aggressive in your approach you may actually leave the headlights looking cloudier than they were to begin with. This is often the case when someone dives right in with some 500 grit sand paper and then attempts to polish them out without going through the subsequent steps of removing the heavy sanding marks with fine sand paper.

#2 - Not aggressive enough. If you are not using a heavy enough abrasive to remove the oxidation or other superficial defects, then your lights will not look much different than when you started.

In your case, since you were only using liquid polish, I would assume you may have not been aggressive enough to get the results you were after. Perhaps starting over and beginning with some wet sanding (say 1500, then 2000, then compound, then polish) would produce more favorable results. Also, working with a machine and not by hand will do wonders for you.

Restore Your Heavily Oxidized Headlights by Kevin George

-Zach
Old 04-13-18, 01:31 PM
redsoxfan6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the microfiber sponge pad was not doing the job, I used a regular kitchen sponge that has the typical scouring pad on the other side. I used this with the polish on the headlight. After I buffed off with a clean cloth, that is when I noticed my headlight was all white/foggy. So, if I haven’t ruined it up to this point, I will definitely take your advice on the wet sanding. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-13-18, 02:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by redsoxfan6
Since the microfiber sponge pad was not doing the job, I used a regular kitchen sponge that has the typical scouring pad on the other side. I used this with the polish on the headlight. After I buffed off with a clean cloth, that is when I noticed my headlight was all white/foggy. So, if I haven’t ruined it up to this point, I will definitely take your advice on the wet sanding. Thanks a bunch.
That is why your headlights are white, the scouring pad side of the kitchen sponge likely introduced deeper scratches then the polish could remove. You did not ruin your headlights, you just have to polish those scratches out with a more aggressive polish and you will likely have to go to a more mild polish to get the haze out. A Random Orbital polisher would make your job much more easy and give you better results.
Old 05-24-18, 06:11 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

An excellent alternative to fine grid paper and wet sanding is toothpaste. Toothpaste is little more than flavored polish for your teeth. Extremely effective for cloudy headlights and older cars. I had an04 Infiniti G35 and would use plain old toothpaste and a microfiber towel. A nickel sized dab, use circular motion throughout your headlight, rinse thoroughly, then seal with 2 coats of Collinite 845.
Old 05-25-18, 09:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Cimabeu
An excellent alternative to fine grid paper and wet sanding is toothpaste. Toothpaste is little more than flavored polish for your teeth. Extremely effective for cloudy headlights and older cars. I had an04 Infiniti G35 and would use plain old toothpaste and a microfiber towel. A nickel sized dab, use circular motion throughout your headlight, rinse thoroughly, then seal with 2 coats of Collinite 845.
Toothpaste is not really a alternative to fine grit sand paper, it is a alternative to a polish. Only in pretty mild cases will it work. In many cases when headlights yellow/oxidize you can't even make much of a dent with a compound polish and yellow pad and you have to wet sand them with a 800 grit and work your way to 1500 or 2000 grit until you finally get rid of the yellowing and get them looking almost brand new.

A sealant/wax is temporary too in most cases, you may see a few months out of it depending on shape of lights, how much sun, the only way to get them to permanently stay clear or at least last a couple years is to spray them with a 2 stage clearcoat.