Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Free car washes with Lexus - do other auto manufacturers do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-18, 09:28 AM
GAMESHARQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Free car washes with Lexus - do other auto manufacturers do this?

One of the things I love most about owning a Lexus is that I can take it to my dealership (or apparently any Lexus dealership from what I've been told) and have it washed for no charge.

Oddly enough, I can't seem to find any information about this on Google. The closest thing I can find is that Lexus washes your car for free with any service appointment. But at my dealership, I can have it washed for free even without a service appointment.

Is this something that not all Lexus dealerships do? Also, are there any car manufacturers other than Lexus that offers this to their customers?
Old 03-25-18, 10:17 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You enjoy the free swirls and scratches?
Old 03-25-18, 04:19 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Most "premium" car brand dealerships will offer this service - as mentioned above though, they do a quick soap down and then scrub your car with some pos cloth that they use for every vehicle.. I always tell me service advisor to skip that process as I would rather do it myself and ensure that the proper steps are being taken to avoid damaging the paint
Old 03-26-18, 07:50 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
Most "premium" car brand dealerships will offer this service - as mentioned above though, they do a quick soap down and then scrub your car with some pos cloth that they use for every vehicle.. I always tell me service advisor to skip that process as I would rather do it myself and ensure that the proper steps are being taken to avoid damaging the paint
I agree. My local Lexus Dealership runs it through their automatic car wash, so 100% I tell them not to wash it and I'll do it myself. If this was a leased car, I would let them wash it for free anytime.
Old 03-26-18, 11:28 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Avoid the "free washes" at all costs.

I put signs on my polished nicely finished car not to wash my car any time it goes to the dealership for something. The people washing your cars do not care about your finish.
Old 03-27-18, 05:26 AM
GAMESHARQ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll avoid it from now on. I did notice a slight mark on my hood and I wasn't sure where it came from. Maybe it was from their wash.

What do you recommend as an alternative? Are paid car washes good?
Old 03-27-18, 07:34 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GAMESHARQ
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll avoid it from now on. I did notice a slight mark on my hood and I wasn't sure where it came from. Maybe it was from their wash.

What do you recommend as an alternative? Are paid car washes good?
The best kind of car washes are the ones you do at home or at a coinop in a wand bay. Never use any type of coin-op brushes on your vehicle. Lots of resources online on how they wash their cars and the products that they use.
Old 03-27-18, 07:37 AM
GAMESHARQ
Driver School Candidate

Can you please elaborate on a wand bay? I'm honestly not sure what that is. The only types of car washes that I have around me (that I know of) are the ones you drive through.
Old 03-27-18, 10:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The Real Cost of a “Cheap” Car Wash by Zach McGovern

How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider
The following users liked this post:
GAMESHARQ (03-27-18)
Old 03-27-18, 10:59 AM
GAMESHARQ
Driver School Candidate

That is an informative article. Unfortunately, I've been taking it to my Lexus dealership for the past 3-4 years just to have it washed so it's probably too late for me to save the condition. But I'll certainly keep it in mind the next time I buy a new car.
Old 03-27-18, 12:43 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

It certainly is not too late to save the condition... here are a few examples of that

Full Article -> Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG: Paint Correction & GTechniq Crystal Serum Light Application by Zach McGovern

Full Article ->1999 Porsche 996: Paint Correction and 22ple HPC Coating by Zach McGovern

Full Article ->2015 Range Rover: Paint Correction and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light Application by Zach McGovern

It just depends on how much time, effort, and/or money you want to put into your current car to restore it to a like-new finish.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask (or search around on the detailing forum).
-Zach
Old 03-27-18, 02:31 PM
GAMESHARQ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Can you give me a ballpark how much it would cost for a Lexus RX350?
Old 03-27-18, 02:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Thanks. Can you give me a ballpark how much it would cost for a Lexus RX350?
That completely depends on the specific condition of your paint, the level you want to restore it to, what type of paint protection you chose, if you select any additional services of types of protection, etc.

The articles I had posted above all feature jobs with 4 figure invoices, but long story short, no, there is no set pricing... if you let me know where you are located I might be able to point you towards a trusted professional in your area.

-Zach
Old 03-30-18, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

And quite frankly, IMHO when it gets to that point you are better off to pay that 4 figure cost to get it back to the best shape it can be in, and then maintain it as a hobbyist from there.
Old 03-30-18, 10:19 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you please elaborate on a wand bay? I'm honestly not sure what that is. The only types of car washes that I have around me (that I know of) are the ones you drive through.
Wand bay car washes are places that you drive into, park your car and then insert however much money you would like.. usually they are $3 minimum and that gets you 5 minutes.. the more money you put in, the more time you have - there will be a selector dial or buttons that will determine what comes out of the wand (think of the wand as a pressure washer style hose)

Drive through automated car washes are good (only the touchless) but sometimes do not get all of the dirt off of your vehicle. Some people warn that the chemicals used are hard on your clearcoat if used extensively but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that.

As mentioned above, having your car polished or detailed can be expensive. You can have a 1 step paint correction done for anywhere from $300-$500 usually that will clean up most of the swirls/ defects but not everything. Its entirely up to how much you care and how much you plan on protecting it in the future.

Quick Reply: Free car washes with Lexus - do other auto manufacturers do this?