ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   How to retain or bring back new car smell (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/878577-how-to-retain-or-bring-back-new-car-smell.html)

satiger 01-21-18 06:35 AM

How to retain or bring back new car smell

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have to admit, I am anal when it comes to new car smell. I prefer that over any other smell. So I try hard and various means to retain new car smell.

I can't remember how long ES smell lasted but remember purchasing Lexus leather cleaner and conditioner along with new ES at the dealership !!!. Since then I have tried vary many products to retain new car smell. I retain the smell on GX for 4 years.

When I purchased 2012 LS in 2014, it had new car smell and maintained the leather with below products. It retained that smell until I traded that 3 months back for 2014 LS (lasted 5 years). In spite of being a newer model compare to 2012, 2014 LS didn't have a trace of new car smell. I was bit disappointed. Luckily no other sprays were used so it didn't have any other smell.

So, I thought of 'restoring' new car smell on 2014 LS. So started with my favorite Einszett Lederpflege Leather Cleaner Conditioner (right most in my pic) . I would just apply this conditioner to all seats and center arms in thin and let it sit for days. I don't use LS as my daily driver. So it helped me keeping the doors/windows closed for extended period. I would repeat this treatment every other week for about two months.

I started breathing new car smell when I open the door !!! :). The only problem is this product is no longer available and was replaced with newer product (2nd from left on my pic). I searched every where, outside US as well. A Canadian website had the image of older conditioner photo, ordered from them and received the newer product. Very disappointed. Its not as good as previous product. They must have changed the chemical combination. There is only one available in eBay and seller is asking $42 + 9 shipping !!!. I went up to $25 and he wouldn't accept it.

Since I realized I will no longer get this, started using my second best new car smell conditioner - Duragloss leather conditioner 221 (3rd from left). I would say its about 85% of what Lederpflege's smell. Ordered a new one to test it and has the same smell as previous one.

So, now I am using Duragloss every other week and keeping remaining Lederpflege for any future needs.

Besides these two products, I have tried many others;
  • Lexus leather conditioner
  • Zaino leather conditioner
  • Leatherique leather rejuvenator
  • Leather master protection cream
  • Other brands not worth mentioning here :(

Zaino conditioner had new car smell as well. But what I am hearing is their newer line were bit diluted and don't give the same smell as before. From smell perspective, the worst in my opinion is Leatherique. It has very favorable reviews in this forum for 'cleaning'. But I wouldn't use that for its strong unpleasant smell.

So, the key to bring back new car smell as long as leather is in good condition and there is no other smell ;
  • Applying a conditioner that has new car smell
  • Allow it to get 'settled' inside by not using the car often
  • Garage parking - not exposing to Sun and wind
  • Not eating inside - hard with kids

SW17LS 01-21-18 05:23 PM

I find my 2017 smells much nicer inside than my 2015 did when it was new. It must be the semi-aniline leather vs the notably lower quality base leather.