Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Undercarriage detailing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 06:24 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Undercarriage detailing

are there others out here that pay attention to the undercarriage too? I'm surprised by the lack of conversations about here. Twice a year I put each of my vehicles up on stands. Take off all four wheels, lay them on some polystyrene sheets. I start with doing a very thorough upper engine detailing. Then I go to each wheel well where I throughly clean what I can reach from there. Then I get on the creeper, and start cleaning underneath the car. Bucket with cleaner, and various brushes, cheap microfiber towels, Cheap microfiber wash mits. I get in every knock I possibly can. Then I go back and use 303 on every plastic and rubber piece from the engine to under the car. I spend about four to five hours on each car just doing that part. I'm chomping at the bit for winter to end so I can do this now. The first time is the hardest. After all the parts have had 303 or spry wax on them it gets easier. Vacuum hoses, rubber brake lines, etc, stay in much better shape. This spring I'll have to take some pictures of my work. Just wondering if there's others who take it to the same extremes, and not talking about show cars.
The following users liked this post:
Pacman9270 (01-06-18)
Old 01-06-18, 12:03 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow, I like the way you take care of your vehicles.

When end you get ready to do this, if you have a chance, take pictures of what and how you are cleaning, etc., for those of us who haven’t done anything like this before. It would be a great teaching tool for anyone else who might be that particular about their car.

Also, before and after pics would be good also so we can get a feel,of all your hard work;-)

Best,

Cubby
Old 01-06-18, 06:10 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Wow, I like the way you take care of your vehicles.

When end you get ready to do this, if you have a chance, take pictures of what and how you are cleaning, etc., for those of us who haven’t done anything like this before. It would be a great teaching tool for anyone else who might be that particular about their car.

Also, before and after pics would be good also so we can get a feel,of all your hard work;-)

Best,

Cubby
I will do that since someone has a interest in it. Won't be till warmer weather, probably looking at march.
Old 01-06-18, 06:41 PM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good googly goo! Wow! That's taking detailing to the NEXT level. Your vehicles must look brand new after 10 years.
Old 01-14-18, 07:25 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Guilty as charged! I first do a run through a car wash that has the under carriage spray. Then with a all purpose cleaner and several brushes inspect and hit sections at a time. Then I hit underneath with flat black. Some areas get rust reformer. Then it is really easy to clean!
Old 01-14-18, 07:31 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Thats awesome Coleroad, I would take care of my undercarriage as you do however us Californians are blessed, luckily we dont exhibit salt/snow or any harsh weather that would deteriorate the under carriage as bad as some of these other states do.

Have you tried the ammo boost winter wash on the under carriage?