Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

PPF and other question, new RX

Old 11-10-17, 04:03 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts
Default PPF and other question, new RX

hello, picking up my new rx450 in a few weeks and super excited. Color is atomic, black lux interior with semi-aniline leather. (build end of this month, delivery early december)
With making this investment, i would like to keep it looking its best, i live in minnesota, so that isn't always the easiest thing during the winter.

1) pp film. looking at the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, door edges. this was recommended by a pro installer. his product would be the 3m pro gen 4 ppf. hood would either be a 24" or full hood, any thoughts or opinions here ?? new to all this stuff, so any information would be great.

2) exterior wise, is the best running my hand in a baggie to see about rail dust, or it will be there and proceed as such ?? i have used the fine nanoskin, pad and hand wedge one. should i pick up some iron X also, ?? Coatings, this gets super confusing since there seems to be bazillions of things out there. i have used duragloss, blackfire, klasse, and other products over the years. i have the PC 7424 to use as well. my question is what would you recommend for products and routine for initial and maintenance of the vehicle ?? i know this is rather open ended, but trying to get a tic of direction.

3) interior wise, dash, seats, other areas, what products would be recommended as maintenance to maintain the interior,

Any information sure would be great, and thanks very much in advance. sorry for asking such open ended questions, i hope they make sense.

Last edited by JSracer; 11-10-17 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-10-17, 06:25 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

There are so many products out there that it's hard to recommend. Out of all the products I've used through the years I'm very satisfied with Adam's Polishes. He has plenty of how to videos on all of his products. I have metallac black on my Lexus and must say it's never looked better since trying his brand.
Old 11-10-17, 09:09 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi JSracer, consider asking your installer about the optional service agreement for 3M Paint Protection Film Pro Series. It may cost a bit more, however, it covers damage from road debris should anything get through your film and damage the paint (up to $3,500). 3M is the only PPF manufacturer to offer this kind of coverage.

Originally Posted by JSracer
1) pp film. looking at the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, door edges. this was recommended by a pro installer. his product would be the 3m pro gen 4 ppf. hood would either be a 24" or full hood, any thoughts or opinions here ?? new to all this stuff, so any information would be great.

Any information sure would be great, and thanks very much in advance. sorry for asking such open ended questions, i hope they make sense.
The following users liked this post:
JSracer (11-11-17)
Old 11-10-17, 06:06 PM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hello, picking up my new rx450 in a few weeks and super excited. Color is atomic, black lux interior with semi-aniline leather. (build end of this month, delivery early december)
With making this investment, i would like to keep it looking its best, i live in minnesota, so that isn't always the easiest thing during the winter.

2) exterior wise, is the best running my hand in a baggie to see about rail dust, or it will be there and proceed as such ?? i have used the fine nanoskin, pad and hand wedge one. should i pick up some iron X also, ?? Coatings, this gets super confusing since there seems to be bazillions of things out there. i have used duragloss, blackfire, klasse, and other products over the years. i have the PC 7424 to use as well. my question is what would you recommend for products and routine for initial and maintenance of the vehicle ?? i know this is rather open ended, but trying to get a tic of direction.

3) interior wise, dash, seats, other areas, what products would be recommended as maintenance to maintain the interior,

Bought a new ES 350 three months ago. Atomic Silver, gray semi-aniline interior. You’re gonna love the Atomic Silver! I just assumed it had contaminates and proceeded as so. Iron X, claybar, etc. (clay bar really didnt show much results). Went ahead and put 2 coats of Cquartz ceramic coating. I was told by an installer that if I wanted pp film, I should do the entire car. I decided to go the ceramic route. Whatever you decide, you’re gonna end up with a beautiful ride! Enjoy!
Old 11-11-17, 03:25 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by AeroTect
Hi JSracer, consider asking your installer about the optional service agreement for 3M Paint Protection Film Pro Series. It may cost a bit more, however, it covers damage from road debris should anything get through your film and damage the paint (up to $3,500). 3M is the only PPF manufacturer to offer this kind of coverage.
will do, thanks. would have had no idea. Any thoughts on the do nothing or do the entire car thought mentioned ??

Originally Posted by WNC
Bought a new ES 350 three months ago. Atomic Silver, gray semi-aniline interior. You’re gonna love the Atomic Silver! I just assumed it had contaminates and proceeded as so. Iron X, claybar, etc. (clay bar really didnt show much results). Went ahead and put 2 coats of Cquartz ceramic coating. I was told by an installer that if I wanted pp film, I should do the entire car. I decided to go the ceramic route. Whatever you decide, you’re gonna end up with a beautiful ride! Enjoy!
thanks so much for the information. why were you told to do none or everything ?? was it the color or another reason ?? i sent some pictures to my guy of the vehicle, and he came up with that quick list of things to do.
did the iron X find a lot to remove, guessing that would be a good first step, instead of nanoskin only.
thank you, excited. should be sharp, did the triple beam headlights on the 450 also,
Old 11-11-17, 08:27 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would definitely PPF the entire front of the car if you have the funds to do it - backs of the mirrors is common as well.. top part of the roof that faces toward the front of the car..

Aerospace 303 is a very highly regarded interior (and exterior) protectant on this forum - I use it on the interior of my car and it leaves a lasting finish for well over a month even in summer heat.

As far as a coating for the exterior of the vehicle, again if you have the money you should get a ceramic coating as they are one of the most durable applications as you can treat them with weekly washes with other products that will keep them lasting.
Old 11-11-17, 09:03 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Full hood vs 2' strip on the hood on a rx ? Difference is 200$ thoughts?
coatings might be the way to fly it seems. Probably self install something,

303 is some good stuff, I had a small bottle, but will put that on my shopping list. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 11-12-17, 06:10 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I'd spend the extra 200. When I first got my RX I was behind a truck that threw a rock onto my hood near the base of the windshield and put a nasty nick in the hood. It wouldn't have helped to have the front half of the hood covered. Things like this just happen when you drive them. Dr Colorchip worked pretty good at concealing the chip.
Old 11-13-17, 08:53 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

will do, thanks. would have had no idea. Any thoughts on the do nothing or do the entire car thought mentioned ??
Any amount of PPF is going to benefit your vehicle. I'm a big fan of the full hood if it's in the budget, and while the full car is a nice touch the front end and leading edges are the most important.
JSracer (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 09:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I’ve had both, definatwky do the full hood and fenders.
Old 11-15-17, 10:40 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This time I had everything in front of the doors done, including headlights. Also mirrors, door edges and the four door handle cups. Tired of fingernail scratches at door handles. Also asked whenever possible edges wrapped. Meaning for example no exposed cut lines on hood, all edges wrapped.

Previous years just 1/2 hood and no wrapping. Almost alway got damage on upper half of hood.
JSracer (11-15-17)