ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Best shampoo to use with Foam Gun (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/871744-best-shampoo-to-use-with-foam-gun.html)

babaliont 10-30-17 06:05 PM

Best shampoo to use with Foam Gun

I recently started using a Gilmour Foamaster II gun for washing my car. I've tried it with chemical guys Mr. Pink and Meguiar's gold class. With Mr. Pink it leaves some type of residue on my Obsidian black IS 350 that makes finger prints and smudges very visible, especially in sunlight. The Gold class did a little better, but I hope that there are better products out there that work well with the foam gun.

I'm quite turned off with chemical guys at the moment. Most of the products I've used from them (sealant, shampoo, wax, microfiber cleaner etc.) seem to be overpriced, overrated, and overhyped.

Does anyone have other brands they would recommend for an inexpensive but effective shampoo that works well with the gilmour foam gun?

zmcgovern4 10-31-17 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by babaliont (Post 10019262)
I'm quite turned off with chemical guys at the moment. Most of the products I've used from them (sealant, shampoo, wax, microfiber cleaner etc.) seem to be overpriced, overrated, and overhyped.

Chemical Guys is great at 2 things.... marketing to the 'general public' and selling tons of products. I would agree that the vast majority of their products are overrated and overhyped. They have a million products that work fine, but none of the ones I have tried are outstanding. Stick to tried and true brands like Meguiar's. Their Professional line of products is outstanding.

Does anyone have other brands they would recommend for an inexpensive but effective shampoo that works well with the gilmour foam gun?

2 of my favorite maintenance shampoos are...

Meguiar's Hyper Wash
Optimum Car Wash

babaliont 10-31-17 11:17 AM

I am relieved to hear that a pro like you shares my opinion of CG.

Thanks for your recommendations. However, from reading the product details it doesn't look like the recommended application is using a foam gun. Or is that not correct?

zmcgovern4 10-31-17 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by babaliont (Post 10019779)
I am relieved to hear that a pro like you shares my opinion of CG.

Thanks for your recommendations. However, from reading the product details it doesn't look like the recommended application is using a foam gun. Or is that not correct?

Most pros share that opinion of CG ;) As I mentioned, they target the consumer market heavily.

That is not correct. Both options I suggested can be used traditionally (in a bucket) or in a foaming device. A foaming device is never required for any shampoo.

WayneLaR1 10-31-17 02:18 PM

I share the general skepticism of CG's products but their Honeydew Snow Foam is legit. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

nathantse 11-04-17 12:26 PM

I recently started using a Gilmour Foamaster II gun for washing my car. I've tried it with chemical guys Mr. Pink and Meguiar's gold class. With Mr. Pink it leaves some type of residue on my Obsidian black IS 350 that makes finger prints and smudges very visible, especially in sunlight. The Gold class did a little better, but I hope that there are better products out there that work well with the foam gun.

I have the same foam gun, and I use Gold Class. It studs fairly well, but I still do a two bucket wash afterwards.

The foam gun is really to break some dirt down, and rinse away before I wash.

I was tempted to try Meg's Wash/Wax, but its pretty pricey for the amount you're getting. Gold Class, imo, is relativity cheap and last awhile.

*Also, CG stuff is kinda overprice, imo, and I fall into the "general market" category. Can't go wrong with Meg's products, everything I use for my car is from them.

GSRockstar 02-03-18 06:44 AM

meguiars gold class is the best shampoo you can get basically. It doesnt contain wax, is very gentle and sudsy and when i use it everyone asks me how i get my car so shiny. If its not working well with your foam gun (i have the same one) then adjust the pin on the top of the gun to get a higher concentration of soap to hose water and mix your solution in the bottle a little stronger (i do like a third shampoo to 2/3 water but you can make it as strong or weak as you want man) i get tons of foam and i use it on the highest setting. Also some people do not like the foam guns because they dont get the results they want, only option is to get a foam cannon which is more powerful but totally uneccessary.