Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 11:10 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.

It took me 4 days to get it right and the way I wanted it. After a wash, I did the full correction over three days and without driving the car. I clayed it first. Day 4, it took me 5 hours to do the doors. The only light (aside from my garage flurescents) was my cell phone flashlight, which I went over and over every square inch of the car. I followed that with Crystal Light serum, two coats.
Attached Thumbnails Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.-20170826_172837.jpg   Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.-20170901_112618.jpg   Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.-20170901_112651.jpg   Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.-20170901_170533.jpg   Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.-20170901_170539.jpg  

Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.-20170901_170549.jpg  

Last edited by Break2; 09-06-17 at 05:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zmcgovern4 (09-06-17)
Old 09-06-17, 12:57 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great! What supplies did you use prior to the ceramic coating? My IS is black and I'm an amateur detailer. I live 20 minutes from Griot's headquarters so I have used their products. Just trying to educate myself better and do one super solid paint cleansing before a ceramic coat in the next month or so.
Old 09-06-17, 01:45 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Wow! great Job
Old 09-06-17, 04:24 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 08treefidd
Looks great! What supplies did you use prior to the ceramic coating? My IS is black and I'm an amateur detailer. I live 20 minutes from Griot's headquarters so I have used their products. Just trying to educate myself better and do one super solid paint cleansing before a ceramic coat in the next month or so.
Optimum Wash - Two bucket method
Used a leaf blower to dry ( I always do) and a quick waffled towel wipe down
Meguiars clay bar
Griots fast cream
Griots Fast finishing pad
Chemical Guys Orange Hex Pad
Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher
Gtechniq Panel wipe to get any polish residue off
Gtechniq Crystal Serum. Two coats.
The following users liked this post:
08treefidd (09-06-17)
Old 09-06-17, 05:11 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Great job! That usb 2.0 looks sweet! Definitely an ambitious weekend warrior to spend that much time on the car, Im sure you won't be able to not look back at the car everytime you park it now.

On the side note doesn't the porter cable give your hands the vibrations at night?
Old 09-06-17, 05:31 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k20trick
Great job! That usb 2.0 looks sweet! Definitely an ambitious weekend warrior to spend that much time on the car, Im sure you won't be able to not look back at the car everytime you park it now.

On the side note doesn't the porter cable give your hands the vibrations at night?
I even look at it from window when the garage is open. To be honest, the vibrations are not the bad at all, until you take it off the car. lol. It worked great. I would of had it done weeks ago, but I didn't realize there was a speed setting on it. Dumb, I know, but I did the whole car an was pissed that it did nothing and gave up for awhile, lol.
Old 09-06-17, 06:48 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
I have a Griot's random orbital and just had 3 hand surgeries in the last 6 months. 2 carpel tunnel and 1/2 trigger thumb operations done so far. The vibrations aren't bad as he stated. only time I felt the harmonics was on hard angles/really concentrated area's.
Old 09-06-17, 08:17 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Car looks great! I hope it was worth all the trouble you went through.

I have a Griot's random orbital and just had 3 hand surgeries in the last 6 months. 2 carpel tunnel and 1/2 trigger thumb operations done so far. The vibrations aren't bad as he stated. only time I felt the harmonics was on hard angles/really concentrated area's.
Everyone responds to the vibrations differently. I don't mind it, but some of my friend's can't do more than 2 panels before it becomes unbearable to them.
Old 09-06-17, 08:22 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Break2
I even look at it from window when the garage is open. To be honest, the vibrations are not the bad at all, until you take it off the car. lol. It worked great. I would of had it done weeks ago, but I didn't realize there was a speed setting on it. Dumb, I know, but I did the whole car an was pissed that it did nothing and gave up for awhile, lol.
Im sure you would, I remember that feeling when you do something big like this it feels so good afterwards. Yes, honestly any pro or novice can use the porter cable for any small or big job it never fails and it pays for itself even after one car.

Im sorry to hear, but I was referring to the vibrations you feel on your hands the night after when you sleep. Even after minimal usage with the porter cable, my hands would feel numb and vibrate from using the machine. It never happened with the griots however.
Old 09-07-17, 10:06 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Where is the before pictures man! How bad was the car that took you 4 days?
Old 09-07-17, 10:36 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spam89
Where is the before pictures man! How bad was the car that took you 4 days?
It wasn't bad. I only have 6500K miles on it. I had never done it before, so it took me some time to get it right, plus, I went back over every single spot with a light an tried taking out every single swirl mark I could find. Everyone.
Old 09-07-17, 10:43 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

It wasn't bad. I only have 6500K miles on it. I had never done it before, so it took me some time to get it right, plus, I went back over every single spot with a light an tried taking out every single swirl mark I could find. Everyone.
I don't know if you wear glasses or not, but a tip I learned is to use a pair of glasses to see "everyone" Even if your eyes are good, something like a 1.5 to 2.5 magnification can help. Get cheap ones at a dollar store.

Car looks great by the way! I can tell you worked hard regardless of how new it is.
Old 09-07-17, 10:45 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FastFord
I don't know if you wear glasses or not, but a tip I learned is to use a pair of glasses to see "everyone" Even if your eyes are good, something like a 1.5 to 2.5 magnification can help. Get cheap ones at a dollar store.

Car looks great by the way! I can tell you worked hard regardless of how new it is.
I have reading glasses that I probably should have used. I got the car at the end of 2016 new. I used a car wash near me that ended up putting swirls in it, which made it look like crap. I was going to pay someone to do it, but I had the time and the garage space, so I figured why not. I am really happy with the way it looks now.
Old 09-07-17, 10:16 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i just spent 2 days this past weekend to detail my 3is as well. wash and clay one day. compound, polish and applied coating the next. drove the car to work yesterday and it's already covered in dust lol
Old 09-08-17, 07:36 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Very brave of you to use the phone light, theres cheaper alternatives such as the led lightning on amazon or this kit:http://www.detailedimage.com/Scangri...SABEgKxc_D_BwE.

Once you use it, especially the sun match and the view for interiors, engine works, etc it really becomes a necessity.

Quick Reply: Full paint Correction and Ceramic pics.