Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Decontamination

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-17, 12:20 PM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decontamination

I've been reading blogs and posts for a few days on decontaminating my car and I have a few questions.
  1. What is everyone's favorite clay and lube (detailing) products? So many out there.
  2. After you clay, what protectant are you using? Wax, sealant...etc.
Last question.... after weekly washes, what waxes, sprays, do you use?

Thanks everyone... I am reading a lot and learning still.
Old 09-03-17, 04:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Go on Autogeek, Detailed Image, or Detailersdomain and when you look for products, just filter it by "best selling"/"most popular" to really see what people are buying and using.

That should avoid 20 different people posting about their favorite products because as you said, everybody has a favorite and there are a million products out there that essentially do the exact same thing.
Old 09-03-17, 06:39 PM
dspcap
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Go on Autogeek, Detailed Image, or Detailersdomain and when you look for products, just filter it by "best selling"/"most popular" to really see what people are buying and using.

That should avoid 20 different people posting about their favorite products because as you said, everybody has a favorite and there are a million products out there that essentially do the exact same thing.
Completely understand. I have been on each of them for hours, it actually makes it more difficult. Ex. Adam's recommends a polish then a sealant after clay, but going through the threads on here, I'm not reading the same things. I'm just looking for a few people to provide recommendations.
Old 09-04-17, 07:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As mentioned, asking for anyone's "favorite" product usually just results in a bunch of opinions and your head spinning after reading them all.

As far as the decontamination process, if you car is significantly contaminated, the clay process will likely leave some superficial marring which will need to be polished away to maintain ideal clarity. If you are doing a routine maintenance decon and your paint has only a very little bit of bonded contamination, it is possible to carefully clay the car without resulting in enough marring to warrant polishing IMO.

For general decontamination, I'd recommend an inexpensive quick detailer/clay lubricant such as Optimum No Rinse and a Fine Grade Clay Bar.

With that being said, here are a couple of articles I have writting on the decontamination process...

Explaining the Decontamination Process Pt 1
Explaining the Decontamination Process Pt 2

-Zach
Old 09-21-17, 11:16 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I am trying the iron x then a clay bar i picked up years ago that is rubber, instead of Grriots clay. I have sand dollar pearl i love it in the sun but not at night. i am then going with meguirars polish, 3m fine polish eraser and trying carpro essence plus. 2 coatts by machine. maybe griots poly after just for fun, prob by hand. yes overboard but this paint looks so thick and am getting ready for fall after wash the new meguiras spray polish.

there is no magic combo for every car, it all depends on color maint, and prep. im going overboard but when you hear and buy these new products, its all a chemistry experiment. Mas toyota is that nice dark blue, been neglected so i have a extra lab rat

then there is the whole layering combo, since mine is light im using all synthetic Ma gets a layer of best of show and either the new meguoars synthetic or griots.

megs spray wax is the bomb! eagle 1 is amazing also. Dupont made 1 that says with teflon, i used it on my 05 ram srt 10, it looked like it was on fire!

I think if you ask these guys we are tempted by these new products and dont have a set formula. just have fun do research all these guys are awesome and helpful
Old 09-22-17, 09:54 AM
dspcap
Driver

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I am trying the iron x then a clay bar i picked up years ago that is rubber, instead of Grriots clay. I have sand dollar pearl i love it in the sun but not at night. i am then going with meguirars polish, 3m fine polish eraser and trying carpro essence plus. 2 coatts by machine. maybe griots poly after just for fun, prob by hand. yes overboard but this paint looks so thick and am getting ready for fall after wash the new meguiras spray polish.

there is no magic combo for every car, it all depends on color maint, and prep. im going overboard but when you hear and buy these new products, its all a chemistry experiment. Mas toyota is that nice dark blue, been neglected so i have a extra lab rat

then there is the whole layering combo, since mine is light im using all synthetic Ma gets a layer of best of show and either the new meguoars synthetic or griots.

megs spray wax is the bomb! eagle 1 is amazing also. Dupont made 1 that says with teflon, i used it on my 05 ram srt 10, it looked like it was on fire!

I think if you ask these guys we are tempted by these new products and dont have a set formula. just have fun do research all these guys are awesome and helpful
Thanks !!!