ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   have you guys ever gotten artillery fungus on your cars? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/865611-have-you-guys-ever-gotten-artillery-fungus-on-your-cars.html)

Johnhav430 08-19-17 08:15 AM

have you guys ever gotten artillery fungus on your cars?

For about 2 years my wife and I had no idea what this was on her car, one side....I had always tried my best to get it off, but quite difficult. Apparently they're spores from a fungus that grows in mulch! Not nice....

edit p.s. I was absolutely shocked that cleaner wax, and the clay bar, do not get it off.....

http://rayhaluchinc.com/getting-rid-...illery-fungus/

jimbosr1 08-19-17 08:42 AM

That fungus has to be pretty bad for your lungs.i removed the mulch from around my house a couple years ago.

Coleroad 08-19-17 11:25 AM

Good to know, I've seen those spores on siding before. I had no idea what it really was. Thank goodness I've never had it get on a car of mine.

Hoovey689 08-19-17 09:46 PM

Never heard of this before. Maybe it affects Eastern and Central U.S. more so than West coast? Good to know if I see little black spots on buildings or vehicles in the future.

arentz07 08-21-17 07:23 AM

Where I work, our parking lot got infested with that stuff this summer. They've been working on removing all the mulch, still not done yet. I only got hit once, just a couple of spores that didn't rupture. Luckily - if they do rupture, there's this black tar-like stuff that is reportedly a royal pain to remove. On mine, there were small reddish-black outlines left behind where they were stuck to my car, but still kinda hard to get off.

Best thing to do is stay away from mulch if you know it's infested. I've been leaving 2-3 parking spaces minimum between my car and any mulch, and it's been clear since I started doing that.

jimmyc13 10-05-18 04:19 AM

Getting hit with this hard this season. First time ever I've had this issue. Stuff is a PITA to remove, but noticed the sooner you remove it, the easier it is to get rid of it. I use a razor for the glass removal, comes off of that easily.

Freds430 10-05-18 04:32 AM

At my gym, I was always parking next to a curbed island (tree and mulch) to avoid getting dinged in the door. I was getting these black spots and could not figure where they were coming from or what they were. Someone told me about this artillery fungus. Thought they had lost their mind Went home and Googled it and sure enough it exist. They like light so are more attracted to light color cars. Can project 20 feet. Very hard to get off. Have to use your fingernail and pick off each one.

Johnhav430 10-05-18 05:30 AM

I have since been diligent this year, and cleaned it off every 3 days or so (very much a pita), keeping a bucket with water and a microfiber cloth in the garage. It can be taken off if it hasn't been on too long. And sometimes, in the morning, when the entire vehicle is wet from moisture, makes it that much easier....I bet folks with dark cars might not even know it's all over their cars...

bitkahuna 10-05-18 09:00 AM

one more reason i don't bother with landscaping... :D

arentz07 10-05-18 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10325143)
one more reason i don't bother with landscaping... :D

If I were in charge of landscaping at my office parking lot, I'd mandate those little islands just have grass and trees, nothing more. The mulch seems to attract this fungus. Fortunately I've only gotten a couple of spores here and there, but I am always having to avoid those islands...

Johnhav430 10-05-18 09:26 AM

A person in the office who is an avid gardener said that mulch should be replaced every season, but most simply put more on top. Agreed likely stone is a better idea.

jimmyc13 10-05-18 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Freds430 (Post 10324936)
At my gym, I was always parking next to a curbed island (tree and mulch) to avoid getting dinged in the door. I was getting these black spots and could not figure where they were coming from or what they were. Someone told me about this artillery fungus. Thought they had lost their mind Went home and Googled it and sure enough it exist. They like light so are more attracted to light color cars. Can project 20 feet. Very hard to get off. Have to use your fingernail and pick off each one.

Funny isn't it? I too had to google it. So does the fungus have a mind of it's own? How the hell does it favor a light colored car? :) I sometimes spray the dots with Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover & let them marinate for 1 hour or more. Helps dissolve/soften them.

JDR76 10-05-18 11:03 AM

This stuff can be pretty nasty. I disagree with the linked article recommending the use of a Magic Eraser, though.

arentz07 10-05-18 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by JDR76 (Post 10325245)
This stuff can be pretty nasty. I disagree with the linked article recommending the use of a Magic Eraser, though.

Yeah. Just wash like you normally would. Sometimes a credit card is nice for scraping the spores off (carefully...)

Benoit 10-07-18 08:03 PM

How to know your country is at war since too long ?
You actually have a fungus that evolved to grow on artillery.

(sorry, joke of 5 in the morning)