Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

PLEASE HELP! cant get adhesive residue off dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 12:17 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! cant get adhesive residue off dashboard

okay...so im freaking out right now. please help if you guys can!!
i recently peeled off a airfresher that was on the dashboard and had some left over adhesive residue from it.
instead of using tape to just get off the remaining residue off, my girlfriend use a wetwipe to "clean it off" instead.

what she did was infact the opposite. she basially smeared the remaining residue on the dash and its basically ingrained into the texture of the leather/vinyl now.

ive use small amounts of EVERYTHING to try to get them off with no resolution, in fact it looks like ive smeared it even more. the parts with the residue looks faded.

ive tried using the following items below, gently using a qtip or a tooth brush to scrub.
soap with water
baby oil
goo gone
Lexol leather cleaner
toothpaste

Last edited by eman27; 08-11-17 at 01:00 AM. Reason: fixed
Old 08-11-17, 07:20 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Wow it looks like you tried everything I would have used.

I have tried Neutrogena baby/massage oil to get sticky stuff off, but I suspect it's the same as the baby oil you used. You have to let it sit for a minute or two to let it do it's thing. It should dissolve any residue.

Looking at the picture it looks like it may have dis-colored the surface or removed the color. If that's the case you have a different problem. I have used black shoe polish to hide some marks, but others will need a leather/vinyl coloring product.

Probably a few more experienced folks here to chime in....good luck!
Old 08-11-17, 07:29 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Citrol, you can get it at Napa I know probably on Amazon too. It will take adhesives off easy. It will also remove paint, nail polish, crayon, ink off of leather. It's a great product.
Old 08-11-17, 10:40 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastFord
Wow it looks like you tried everything I would have used.

I have tried Neutrogena baby/massage oil to get sticky stuff off, but I suspect it's the same as the baby oil you used. You have to let it sit for a minute or two to let it do it's thing. It should dissolve any residue.

Looking at the picture it looks like it may have dis-colored the surface or removed the color. If that's the case you have a different problem. I have used black shoe polish to hide some marks, but others will need a leather/vinyl coloring product.

Probably a few more experienced folks here to chime in....good luck!

maybe my problem was i didnt let the products set in before rubbing away.
as i was rubbing with the towel, i can feel the stickiness coming back. but instead of rubbing it off, the adhesive keeps smearing instead. which is how i ended up w that nasty mark.
Old 08-11-17, 10:49 AM
SmilesHelp
Driver School Candidate

Time has passed and you may have resolved your issue..in case not...

.WD-40 has always worked great for me. Even on really old double-sided foam tape. You may need to let it set for a bid but that is usually if it is really think adhesive, looks like you've got most of it off and only left with a thin layer. Works on glass, tile, plastic too. Great for price tags off items as well. (wink)
Old 08-11-17, 10:52 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SmilesHelp
Time has passed and you may have resolved your issue..in case not...

.WD-40 has always worked great for me. Even on really old double-sided foam tape. You may need to let it set for a bid but that is usually if it is really think adhesive, looks like you've got most of it off and only left with a thin layer. Works on glass, tile, plastic too. Great for price tags off items as well. (wink)
okay...WD40 will be my last resort before i take it in to a detailing place...crossing my fingers!!!
how long do you think i should let it sit for? 2 minutes?
ill probably try it out on a small test spot first before doing it for reals.

thank you!!
Old 08-11-17, 12:07 PM
SmilesHelp
Driver School Candidate

two minutes for sure will let you know if it will work on the test spot. the trick is in the "soaking" as far as making it easy to remove. However, you can put a little squirt wait a bit, see how much comes off and continue little by little.. Note, be sure and 'clean" the WD-40 residue after removal of the adhesive with what ever you usually use to clean the surface. I hope it works for you, it's always my first go to.
Old 08-11-17, 12:39 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

This is how good citrol is at removing adhesives.
Old 08-11-17, 01:13 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coleroad
This is how good citrol is at removing adhesives. https://youtu.be/SlvGFov2zPE
do you know if that stuff is okay to use on the dashboard? well i guess i dont have many options left...

a lot of people are telling me to try WD40, do you know if its comparable to this?
Old 08-11-17, 01:53 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
eman27, seriously trying to assist here but am now confused reading through this thread. Is the area in the top picture sticky or not? As you posted in the 3rd gen IS forum that it was not.

If the area in the top most picture is not sticky, there is no adhesive residue left from the air freshener - and the mark you are seeing is most likely marring that occurred when you tried other methods to remove (goo gone I suspect).

Now if it is sticky, and I've somehow misunderstood - then yeah, use soap to attempt to remove the remainder of the stickiness - or have a professional detailer address - and if a mark remains (which means you've marred the finish), you're left with little other choice than to live with it, replace it, or attempt to cover it with some type of mothers back to black or similar, as suggested in your thread in the 3 IS forum. Good luck.

sorry for the confusion. let me start again. the adhesive leftover was actually very very little to begin with. how the mark got so big was probably due to me trying to rub it off and smearing it in the process. now....the adhesive is no longer sticky, BUT (for example) i put a little toothpaste on last night and start rubbing it gently with a qtip and i could see that the adhesive is starting to slowly build up into very very very tiny chunks on top.

the smaller mark from the 2nd picture i did NOT use goo-gone. and only attempted to clean off with oil/soap water/lexol leather cleaner. but same result.

imagine you just peeled off a really old sticky tape and your way of getting the residue off was by rubbing/smearing it off. but you've rub and smeared it so much that the residue lost its stickiness and it just feels like a very thin layer of dried residue left. lol i hope that kinda makes sense?

this would've been a non-issue if the dash was all plastic honestly....but the material on the dash (along with everything else in the IS) just feels so soft and sensitive.
Old 08-11-17, 02:01 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

No stress, but from what you've posted I suspect you've marred the finish on the dash. Hopefully not - and some of the other methods suggested in your threads (or a professional detailer) can either remove it, or some how mitigate its visibility.

yeah...i probably did to be honest. oh wells. lol
Old 08-11-17, 03:27 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

No stress, but from what you've posted I suspect you've marred the finish on the dash. Hopefully not. Hopefully some of the other methods suggested in your threads (or a professional detailer) can either remove it, or some how mitigate its visibility.

just tried WD40, didnt work!
looks like ill take it to a professional auto detailer and see if they can fix this...
Old 08-11-17, 04:20 PM
SmilesHelp
Driver School Candidate

Bummer! Since WD-40 didn't work. I'd have to say then I agree with eman27 who said possibly the finish has been marred. If you've removed the protective coating by using other solvents, you may need to add a protective sealant to regain original luster.