Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

F Sport Ultra White - Rail Dust Paint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 10:31 AM
waudby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I have had this before on other cars and found that going to a different disk brake pad fixed 90% of the problem. I think that staying on top of it is the best solution. Lots of good help here to recommend something that works for you.
What brake pads did you go to versus what was on the car?
Old 07-27-17, 10:42 AM
waudby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
WOW. That's easily one of the worst cases of iron specs I think I've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen alot worse but typically on much older vehicles that have been completely neglected by the owners.

To address this problem you need to understand why it's happening. Here are the two most common things that can be causing it:

1. Heavy brakes dust landing onto the paint (Most of it is from your own car but some can be from other cars driving beside you on the road).
2. Rail dust. If you live in the city or industrial area, this can be a very frustrating problem.

Once the iron deposits get on the paint, if they are not washed off in time, they will turn into rust specs that are embedded into the paint as soon as you drive through some rain.

The best way to minimize these specs is to have a detail shop do a full decon service to remove everything, and have them install a ceramic paint coating that is your best bet at resisting these specs from getting embedded. Contrary to popular belief, coatings DO NOT eliminate this problem, they just make these specs alot easier to wash/scrub off during your normal washing routine. Once the vehicle is coated, spray the car down with iron-x every couple of months to remove any that may be on there.

Wash the car often, don't let it go to sht, regularly use iron-x and you will never have this problem or need to clay bar your car for many years. Yeah you might have a spec or two here and there but won't be anywhere near this bad.
I was astounded that it happened within weeks of driving a car with 13 miles on it off a lot. We don't live near factories, railroads, ocean etc so I was is disbelief. I am over the top clean freak about the car and wash it all the time myself.

When you say to do a full decon on the car what are you referring to? What time of ceramic paint coating should I look for them to use? Iron - X sounds like the miracle worker and we suggested that to the dealer with no bites, they told us to call corporate and eventually told us to sue them under lemon law. Right now I have the dealer willing to detail the car at my requests for as long as I own the vehicle. Corporate has looked at the car and told me I am not unusual at all. What I can't wrap my head around is why friends who own BMWs, Porsche and other brands don't have this problem. Is Lexus white paint softer or brake pads just awful?
Old 07-27-17, 10:47 AM
waudby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastFord
I can't tell from the photos if you have mud flaps. I have them and I think it helps a bit, but does not eliminate them.....just in case the dealer recommends them, you'll know they don't really protect from getting the spots.
No mud flaps, have not had those since my old 1980 Honda Accord days. Our winter was not as bad as it could have been and the first year I owned the car it was not out in the snow once as we had none that year. Never knew I was signing up for such a detailing nightmare with a white car, I though a black car was a challenge. Love the look of the car but could not recommend anyone buying one based on this.
Old 07-27-17, 11:12 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by waudby
No mud flaps, have not had those since my old 1980 Honda Accord days. Our winter was not as bad as it could have been and the first year I owned the car it was not out in the snow once as we had none that year. Never knew I was signing up for such a detailing nightmare with a white car, I though a black car was a challenge. Love the look of the car but could not recommend anyone buying one based on this.
Funny how in Canada almost all cars come standard with mud flaps. Even one of my kids little "puddle Jumper" has them.
I have never owned a white vehicle, many black ones, but would never have guessed that it could be an issue due to rail dust!
I think once you get it cleaned up really well and then protect it with something, it should be much easier to maintain. Don't forget the before and after shots!! Good luck.
Old 07-27-17, 12:58 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I do love the ultra white and cabernet interior like you had and that is what I so dislike about having a car that looks like it has the chicken pox. Dealer does not want to use the Iron X on the car for whatever reason. Working through them too as I had the PolySeal applied to the car to protect against environmental pollutants and it does make washing the car like a dream except for the metal shards..

How do you like your Audi now? I almost got the Q5 but liked the room in the RX as I haul a lot of stuff as I run a charity.
I originally suggested the Iron X because based on what you're describing that product will help to neutralize the iron that is causing the spots..So if your dealer doesn't want to use Iron X go to a detailer and have them take care of it, even though you paid the dealer for the PolySeal it will be money well spent.. And no need to make the dealer aware that you went elsewhere. Or you can buy the Iron X and apply it yourself, and then of course add a coating/sealant afterwards for protection..

I love the Q7 thanks, the combination of power, handling and refinement is incredible..It's an amazing machine..
Old 07-27-17, 04:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I know it's a new(er) car and everything but something sounds wrong that you're getting this much brake dust/orange specs.

I have seen it happen on older vehicles if their caliper(s) seize. When was the last time you had your brakes checked?
Old 07-28-17, 11:16 AM
waudby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I know it's a new(er) car and everything but something sounds wrong that you're getting this much brake dust/orange specs.

I have seen it happen on older vehicles if their caliper(s) seize. When was the last time you had your brakes checked?
I know that is what is throwing us as the car only has 15,000 miles and we noticed when the car only had 3,000 miles. The car has been into the dealer over and over but I can't attest that they actually looked at the brakes. Corporate Lexus representatives keep telling me this is so normal and to expect this. But, they can not show me one other car that looks like mine at such a young age. They keep mentioning my brakes but when I push them on this point they back up rapidly.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 07-31-17 at 08:38 AM. Reason: fixed failed quote
Old 07-28-17, 04:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You're up north. Seized calipers are extremely common. Although I have not heard of it happening on a 2 year old car with this kind of low mileage, you can't rule anything out.

We have a customer with an 09 IS350 that has 26k miles and when his caliper(s) seized, Lexus replaced his caliper(s) free of charge, as well as a faulty water pump and I believe a few other mechanical items. Moral of the story is, even at low mileage, when you have horrible weather (winter) conditions, anything can happen and in our customer's case, the fact that his almost 9 year old car barely gets driven and sits alot only adds to the problem.

His IS is silver and when we clay barred it the first time a couple of years ago it was pretty badly contaminated with large orange specs, the kind Iron-X doesn't really handle too well so a bunch of manual clay barring was still necessary. We just did his car again and this time around although it still had quite a bit of orange specs, it was the normal expected amount that would accumulate over the year.
The following users liked this post:
waudby (07-29-17)
Old 08-03-17, 11:23 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Dumb question, what is rail dust?
Old 08-03-17, 01:04 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Break2
Iron specs in the air that contaminate the paint. It's very common in industrial areas that have a lot of rail road tracks or metal in general.
Break2 (08-06-17)
Old 08-03-17, 08:21 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Most cars are also delivered via rail (train). They get a lot of that dust during the trip.
Old 08-03-17, 11:33 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Brand new white car, you can see the black specks (most likely iron that impeded itself into the paint) which the clay bar captured. This was transported through rail and also Im pretty sure the exhaust shot up a lot of iron/pollution into the paint.
waudby (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 04:18 PM
waudby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Break2
From carwash.com here is a definition - Rail dust is exactly that, when cars are transported by train (rail) from the factory to a city, the metal wheels of the train cars running on metal rails create small particles of metal that fly into the air and land on the horizontal surfaces of the car.

I live no where near factories, rail road tracks and the car is low mileage, stored for the winter and babied.
Old 08-08-17, 04:22 PM
waudby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k20trick
Brand new white car, you can see the black specks (most likely iron that impeded itself into the paint) which the clay bar captured. This was transported through rail and also Im pretty sure the exhaust shot up a lot of iron/pollution into the paint.
Thanks for the photo as we have always felt it was from the car coming from Ontario to Buffalo on the rail car. The dealer basically agreed today but corporate says no way. We just took pictures using a microscope which I will post later as it was pretty interesting looking at what it looks like in the clear coat of the paint.

Did you see rust particles or did you just decide to clay bar?
Old 08-08-17, 07:41 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the photo as we have always felt it was from the car coming from Ontario to Buffalo on the rail car. The dealer basically agreed today but corporate says no way. We just took pictures using a microscope which I will post later as it was pretty interesting looking at what it looks like in the clear coat of the paint.

Did you see rust particles or did you just decide to clay bar?
Yes, I saw and felt the paint during the wash process and concluded that it will need to be clayed before prepping for protection, they are very easy to spot on a white car after the car is washed you are still able to see black specks on the car and or brown colors specks when I see these contaminants on the paint, or feel the paint is not smooth I always pull out the clay bar.

I would've tried the iron x unfortunately this was all done with a rinse less method as we did not have access to free flowing water. Car was washed with optimum no rinse and distilled water then prepped with eraser then gloss coated for long term protection and to aid in preventing these in the future.

The wheels, tail lights, headlights, fog lights, wheels, door jambs, trunk liner, and engine was all coated as well.
Attached Thumbnails F Sport Ultra White - Rail Dust Paint Issues-img_3569.jpg  

Quick Reply: F Sport Ultra White - Rail Dust Paint Issues