Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Chips around the front grill / bumper area

Old 07-12-17, 05:43 AM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chips around the front grill / bumper area

I am fairly new to the forum, got my Lexus about 2 months ago. The color is Pearl white, I've been trying to wash it about once a week. When I am cleaning off bugs from my front bumper, I'm starting to notice more and more little chips on the lower part of the front bumper. I already have a clear bra on the hood, is that also the best option for the bumper?

Second questions... behind the back doors, there is a small piece of clear bra on the lower part of car.... it's starting to yellow and get dirty. Besides replacing it, is there any product out there I can buy to clean it?
Old 07-12-17, 09:37 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I personally had my whole front end done with the clear bra, so I'd suggest a respray and clear bra that area for a long term fix. If you don't want to go that route, maybe pick up a kit from Dr. ColorChip, then slap on lots of wax/sealant.

As for the yellowing clear bra pieces, I'd look into XPEL PPF Cleaner, then use their sealant afterwards. I know several people who have used it with great results.
Old 07-12-17, 10:33 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Clear bra on the front bumper would be the best option to prevent more damage. I would recommend doing the headlights too.

For the area behind the door, replacing it would be the best option. Plastic yellows with time, so it's going to happen again.
Old 07-12-17, 10:43 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Clear bra on the front bumper would be the best option to prevent more damage. I would recommend doing the headlights too.

For the area behind the door, replacing it would be the best option. Plastic yellows with time, so it's going to happen again.
+1 Replacing would be better. With how little work/material is needed, it would probably cost about the same as the products I mentioned.
Old 07-12-17, 06:50 PM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-30-17, 01:06 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I have lots of chips and scratches as well. I'm looking into getting my front bumper resprayed and adding the clearbra. But I have no idea what to expect nor how to care for it afterwards.

Questions:
1. Do you polish or wax after clearbra has been added?
2. Any DOs or Don'ts regarding the clearbra and it's care?
3. What's the average price of installation?
Old 07-31-17, 08:33 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
I have lots of chips and scratches as well. I'm looking into getting my front bumper resprayed and adding the clearbra. But I have no idea what to expect nor how to care for it afterwards.

Questions:
1. Do you polish or wax after clearbra has been added?
This depends on what particular clear film you are having applied. Some of the higher end films are truly self leveling... meaning swirl marks and other fine imperfections will "disappear" when the film is heated. Other non-healing film may develop swirl marks and scratches if it is not cared for at the highest level. In this case, the film may be polished to some degree to remove the superficial defects.

You may apply a wax, sealant, or nanocoating to most any films for added protection and easier cleaning.

**Keep in mind, no film will look perfect forever. It will age and will need to be replaced eventually.**

2. Any DOs or Don'ts regarding the clearbra and it's care?
Treat it just like your paint. It is a delicate surface just like paint, so if you want it to look its best, use quality products, tools, and most importantly technique when washing and drying it.

3. What's the average price of installation?
This varies greatly depending on the type of film and the specific amount of coverage. Are you doing just the bumper? bumper, partial hood, partial fenders? bumper, full hood, full fenders, mirrors (recommended!!)? Geographic location/market will also effect pricing.

Call around to a few reputable installers in your area for more details on pricing.

Answers above in bold, red text.

​​​​​​​-Zach
The following users liked this post:
Propulsion (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 10:02 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks Zach
that's some helpful information. I had no idea there were differing versions or levels of quality regarding clearbras. I'm gonna get some estimates and ask around. Thanks again!
Old 07-31-17, 10:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Thanks Zach
that's some helpful information. I had no idea there were differing versions or levels of quality regarding clearbras. I'm gonna get some estimates and ask around. Thanks again!
Absolutely - there are considerable differences in film, and most importantly in installers. I cannot recommend enough that you take your time and research a reputable shop to do this work if you are as OCD as most of us are in this forum. A great installer may be more expensive than others, but should yield a better result and less headaches in the end.

Where in Texas are you located? Perhaps I could recommend someone.