Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How often do you wash and wax your car? + clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 08:58 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
I'm curious of the cost to get your car coated with Ceramic Pro or any other similar coating. How long do they last? And compares with wax?
It cost me exactly $49.72. I purchased it from Amazon and did it myself. I think if you take it to a professional they charge a hefty fee ($500+ YMMV). The coating is stated to last up to two years. I think it's superior to wax because:
1) it lasts longer, one application and you're good for at least 2 years
2) it has better protective properties: UV, dirt and water repellant, hard thin layer over original paint that is scratch and chip resistant (not scratch/chip proof!)
3) it gives the car a nice consistent gloss/wet look despite the weather elements

Last edited by XSV; 07-15-17 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ahhadanny (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 09:25 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
One neighbor told me I was going to wash the paint off my cars. That pretty much says how often I wash my cars. Probably about three times a week. Clay twice a year. Apply a sealant twice a year. Once a month I pull the wheels so I can make sure I get them totally clean. It also gives me the opportunity to clean everything behind the wheel.
That shows the determination. lol I assume you wash your car in the evenings as well ?
Old 07-15-17, 09:27 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
It cost me exactly $49.72. I purchased it from Amazon and did it myself. I think if you take it to a professional they charge a hefty fee ($500+ YMMV). The coating is stated to last up to two years. I think it's superior to wax because:
2) it has better protective properties: UV, dirt and water repellant, hard thin layer over original paint that is scratch and chip resistant (not scratch/chip proof!)
3) it gives the car a nice consistent gloss/wet look despite the weather elements

Looking good there!
Old 07-15-17, 10:02 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

2003 sc430
Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
That shows the determination. lol I assume you wash your car in the evenings as well ?
either early morning or evening. I've also set up the canopy.
Old 07-15-17, 10:21 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I'm curious of the cost to get your car coated with Ceramic Pro or any other similar coating. How long do they last? And compares with wax?
Install cost vary with the level of paint correction your car requires. The coating will only look as good as the prep work. It enhances everything. If your paint is perfect it enhances that, but if your paint is bad, then it also enhances the bad.

I recently installed Gyeon Mohs, and my total material cost for that day was around $170 + 12 hours of labor just on the paint and lights. That doesn't include interior or coating the rims. My thread is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...n-q2-mohs.html

Gyeon Mohs has a 1 year guarantee and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light has a 3 to 5 year guarantee. A coating will make the car easier to keep clean. I held out on making the switch to coatings for a few years because I had a combination of sealants and waxes that I liked a lot and it never let me down. Once I finally tried a coating, I was hooked. I gave away/threw away all my old products because they became useless to me.
Old 07-15-17, 10:42 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Install cost vary with the level of paint correction your car requires. The coating will only look as good as the prep work. It enhances everything. If your paint is perfect it enhances that, but if your paint is bad, then it also enhances the bad.

I recently installed Gyeon Mohs, and my total material cost for that day was around $170 + 12 hours of labor just on the paint and lights. That doesn't include interior or coating the rims. My thread is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...n-q2-mohs.html

Gyeon Mohs has a 1 year guarantee and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light has a 3 to 5 year guarantee. A coating will make the car easier to keep clean. I held out on making the switch to coatings for a few years because I had a combination of sealants and waxes that I liked a lot and it never let me down. Once I finally tried a coating, I was hooked. I gave away/threw away all my old products because they became useless to me.
Yes, you have to completely strip the car of any sealants and waxes (I use dawn with car soap [not the wax and wax kind]). Yes, people will say Dawn isn't good for your car paint blah blah; however, I've used it multiple times when I need to completely remove all the wax on the car and haven't had any problems. Then you need to clay the entire car. Then wash again. Then do paint correction (remove swirls and scratches in the clear coat). Wipe down the entire car with IPA. Then apply the ceramic coating. Park the car in the sunlight to speed up hardening and do not let the coating get wet for 48 hours.
Old 07-15-17, 05:12 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
Thanks for answering. Yeah, I searched around, and it product itself is not that expensive $50-70. Really depends on the installer. But $500+ for a professional.. think I rather stick to waxing the car every few months. Hard to mess up waxing lol.

I am curious of what happens when the coating's effectiveness is at its end. For wax, it slowly disappears and easily can be stripped. Is it the same for these coatings?

But, it does look good tho. I have a white car as well, and its hard to keep clean.
Old 07-16-17, 09:01 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I am curious of what happens when the coating's effectiveness is at its end. For wax, it slowly disappears and easily can be stripped. Is it the same for these coatings?
I haven't had a coating long enough to know, but coatings are removed by polishing them off.
Old 07-17-17, 08:24 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I try to do it every 2 weeks. Sometimes it'll get pushed back an extra week. Once it starts looking dirty , which is about 2 weeks is when I wash it. I usually take it to those car ports and use the pressure gun and the soap, but I don't use the scrub there. Then I dry it with Turtle Wax 2in1 was and dry solution. My car doesn't get too nasty so there's really no grime stuck on the car, only some yellow spots that I think are from tree. After that my car looks showroom ready. I do need to take care of the wheels though. I usually skip those because they don't seem dirty, but i'll do it once a month.
Old 07-18-17, 03:46 AM
astinus4
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every weekend for me. I've only had my NX for 6 weeks though; maybe I'll slow down after a little while
Old 07-19-17, 07:54 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Still good for non coated people waiting to be coated? Or maybe show cars that don't need the durable protection of a coating? maybe they like the warm glow of carnauba waxes.

UK still going strong on this one, literally looks like a rolling piece of jewelry
Attached Thumbnails How often do you wash and wax your car? + clear bra-img_3320.jpg  

Last edited by k20trick; 07-19-17 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 09:05 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k20trick
Still good for non coated people waiting to be coated? Or maybe show cars that don't need the durable protection of a coating? maybe they like the warm glow of carnauba waxes.

UK still going strong on this one, literally looks like a rolling piece of jewelry
They were all good products, but I had no more use for them. My favorite combination on show cars was always Wolfgang DGPS + Wolfgang fusion. I've sent a bunch of cars to SEMA with that combination. lol
Old 07-19-17, 01:13 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Weekly hand washes with a spray wax detail/ dry

Monthly wax applications - My car is garage stored so the water beads like crazy every wash - this is how I know the wax is staying on there
Old 07-19-17, 09:30 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

They were all good products, but I had no more use for them. My favorite combination on show cars was always Wolfgang DGPS + Wolfgang fusion. I've sent a bunch of cars to SEMA with that combination. lol
LoL Wolfgang fuzion is the only wax I keep, I'll probably save it for a garage queen, great wax!
Old 07-27-17, 08:03 PM
Jgribbins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SeanO what wax are you applying monthly? I just purchased CG butter wet wax and plan to do the same...over jet seal.

Quick Reply: How often do you wash and wax your car? + clear bra