Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Armor All cleaning products??? Safe or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 04:50 PM
MrRX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Armor All cleaning products??? Safe or Not???

Hey all....this my sound stupid but.....is it safe to use armor all products on the interior of your lexus..such as the leather cleaners and the dash cleaner that is available.....I don't want to be sorry and try it out and find out I should not have used...........I guess I am being cheap...but someone bought me a gift box with all the cleaners in it..and I figured I would use them...but now I have doubts...can any out there confirm they are safe?? For the dash.....wood trim...ect...

thanks..mike
Old 06-10-03, 05:06 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

I dont use it for the interior but I do use it for the seals on the doors / trunk and under the hood. The engine compartment. Sometimes I use it on the tires. After I apply it I go over it with a clean cloth to take the excess off.

Look under detailing for the products CL members are recommending or they use.
Old 06-10-03, 07:41 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Armor-All is OK, but as everyone says, it's a greasy form of leather cleaner/conditioner. I have a bottle of Armor-All I've used to condition both of my ES, just for the leather seats, and I usually condition once every 2 weeks during the non-winter seasons. As soon as the bottle is finished, I plan to switch over to Lexol, Meguiar's, or similar.
Old 06-11-03, 08:04 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by {-.-}
I dont use it for the interior but I do use it for the seals on the doors / trunk and under the hood. The engine compartment.
Ditto

I use it on seals and engine bay components, the door sills & trunk plastic for protection against scuff marks, but never on the interior / passenger area.
Old 06-13-03, 07:30 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Question

I thought Armo-All is bad for leather?
Old 06-14-03, 06:44 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Armor All (AA) protectants got a bad rap (deservedly) in the 90's for the cheap silicones and petroleum distillates it used. They have altered their formulas and have moved to water-based silicones, but they still have the bad rap. What you received will no harm your Lexus. It may leave it a shiny, blingin' thing, but no harm will occur.

Just read the label. Avoid vinyl treatment products that contain any type of oil, have an oily or greasy feeling, contain petroleum distillates or leave a coating that dries like wax. If a product label says "flammable or contains petroleum distillates", do not use on vinyl.

I've never understood why anyone would want a shiny dashboard that reflects light into the driver's eyes and up into the windshield. A couple of months of months ago I started using Einszett (1Z) products. 1Z Cockpit Classic and 1Z Cockpit Premium. They leave a beautiful satin and matte finish...and the smell. Oooh the smell is like a new car.

There are so many products out there that are better than AA, though.
You'll see them recommended in this, and many other forums.

Good luck