Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Coatings and Wax (3IS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 12:19 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Coatings and Wax (3IS)

There doesn't seem to be much discussion on the types of coatings used by owners here. I shall share mine and I would like to hear how you guys keep your cars shiny as there are just so many products promising the sky and often fail to deliver half of it.

I use two products: the
Klasse All-In-One wax Klasse All-In-One wax
, followed by the
Klasse Sealant Glaze Klasse Sealant Glaze
. My car is black in color and the wax gives it a deep shine and the sealant glaze is an acrylic sealant and it is able to last 6-8 months depending on conditions, although it claims up to a year.

All in all, a very affordable gloss and protection, compared to the rates i got quoted on those ceramic and nano coatings.
Old 06-24-17, 12:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I used that combo about 10 years ago. I've tried Zaino for a couple years and then switched to Opti seal. Finally, I caved last year and used Opti Gloss Coat. It's supposed to have a 2 year life and it keeps my car shining always.
Old 06-24-17, 01:13 AM
TJR14IS350
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I also use opti-seal on my car. I also go a step further. When the opti-seal is fully cured. I put a layer of Meguiars ultimate paste wax on top and it make my car look a sheet of glass.

I also did the wife's 04 is300 with that same combo and it looks awesome

Old 06-24-17, 07:48 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great. I just use paste wax and make sure that I strip it and reapply often. I also have door dings and random BS from street parking so my paint is never going to look that good.
Old 06-25-17, 09:10 AM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TJR14IS350
I also use opti-seal on my car. I also go a step further. When the opti-seal is fully cured. I put a layer of Meguiars ultimate paste wax on top and it make my car look a sheet of glass.

I also did the wife's 04 is300 with that same combo and it looks awesome

Your car is cleaner than my face man haha...I just wax and compound it once every 5 months. I use random clay bar and Meguiars Compound and Turtle wax to finish it off.
Old 06-25-17, 09:46 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Just to add on, i use Dr Beasley's matte wheel seal for my Pro Drive GC-05N, works ok as dirt washes right off, but does not last long. It seems that when it comes to matte wheels, there is very limited choice of sealants as compared to glossy wheels.
Old 06-25-17, 12:33 PM
TJR14IS350
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by minhael
Your car is cleaner than my face man haha...I just wax and compound it once every 5 months. I use random clay bar and Meguiars Compound and Turtle wax to finish it off.
Black is such a pain in term of keeping clean. I also have 08 civic si that's black. I fully corrected that paint. I don't know why I keep getting black cars hahaha.
Old 06-25-17, 02:24 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Coatings and Wax

Originally Posted by zhifan1
There doesn't seem to be much discussion on the types of coatings used by owners here. I shall share mine and I would like to hear how you guys keep your cars shiny as there are just so many products promising the sky and often fail to deliver half of it.

I use two products: the Klasse All-In-One wax, followed by the Klasse Sealant Glaze. My car is black in color and the wax gives it a deep shine and the sealant glaze is an acrylic sealant and it is able to last 6-8 months depending on conditions, although it claims up to a year.

All in all, a very affordable gloss and protection, compared to the rates i got quoted on those ceramic and nano coatings.
Excellent products. You can get even more coverage if layer the sealant glaze. I typically put up to five layers for coverage up to two years.
Old 06-25-17, 05:21 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My current car is coated in Beeds ceramic coating. My other cars which were Lexus vehicles were coated with 2PLE. I have found by using the coatings I do not have to wax my car. Each of the coating manufacturers makes product that you can apply to maintain the coating. 22ple make VS1 final coat and Beeds makes Pico 2. Since I've been applying these coatings to my cars I don't have to wax it anymore. And my car is as smooth as glass. I wash it with Meguiars waterless wash their professional detail line D115 which does contain some wax.

I highly recommend applying a ceramic coating to your vehicle. Beeds is going to last about three years which coincides to the end of my lease term

Last edited by dstopsie; 06-25-17 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-25-17, 06:01 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,542 Likes on 1,732 Posts

I use Mother's step 2 (Sealer and glaze) then a coat of Collinite to finish it off - Its just the perfect combo for me
Old 06-25-17, 06:49 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

What kind of prep work are you all doing to the paint ahead of time?
Old 06-26-17, 06:37 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Recently I've been using Menzerna/Jescar Power Lock. I would typically prep with Meguiars Ultimate Polish. Best thing about the Power Lock is how is it is to buff off and it doesn't show on the plastic/rubber parts at all. Good shine and lasts.
Old 06-26-17, 10:30 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Savjam
Excellent products. You can get even more coverage if layer the sealant glaze. I typically put up to five layers for coverage up to two years.
5 layers!!! Back-breaking work, mate.... I'm inspired! LOL....
Old 06-27-17, 11:52 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
What kind of prep work are you all doing to the paint ahead of time?
It's a bit tedious because a coating is designed to last for years without polishing, so you have to make the paint as perfect as you can since it'll be trapped under the coating.

Typical process goes
1. wash the car to remove the most amount of dirt possible from everywhere
2. decontaminate the car with iron remover
3. wash the iron remover off
4. clay bar any existing contaminates that didn't come off with the iron remover
5. wash the car again to remove residue
6. compound deep scratches
7. polish the paint
8. use a fine polish to jewel the paint for extra gloss
9. wipe down the car with a prep product (like carpro eraser) to remove any oil and residue from the paint
10. apply the coating 1 panel at a time since the average working time for a consumer grade coating is 2 minutes or less depending on the brand.
11. wait and layer the coating if necessary
12. keep the car in a clean environment for 12-24 hours before driving and avoid water for a week.
The following users liked this post:
Darqhelmet (06-28-17)
Old 06-28-17, 09:00 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Holy crap. More power to you, I don't have the location or availability to do that work. It looks amazing though.

Quick Reply: Coatings and Wax (3IS)