Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Do you use wax, sealant or coating for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 10:18 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do you use wax, sealant or coating for your car?

What product and brand do you use for paint protection? Do you use a combination of these?
Old 05-07-17, 01:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I've applied opti gloss coat last year but I still apply opti seal monthly for dual protection.
Old 05-08-17, 07:26 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I started testing coating products about 6 years ago... I will never go back to traditional waxes or sealants on a daily driven vehicle.

I have tested most major products on the market, but my current go to coating is GTechniq Crystal Serum Light. I use Gyeon Cure or GTechniq C2 occasionally after maintenance washes.
Old 05-08-17, 09:27 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My current car is coated in Beeds ceramic coating. My 3 prior rides were coated with 22PLE. I will never own a car that does not ave a ceramic coating. It makes it so much easier to maintain. I don't have to wax it. Al I do is apply the maintenance topper to it and it's a slick as can be. I also use Meguiars D115 rinseless wash and wax to clean my car weekly.

Last edited by dstopsie; 06-17-17 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 10:47 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought Mothers wax, used it once and learned of power lock sealant, then got it and used it once. Now I feel like I should switch to coating after only recently bought wax and sealant.
Old 05-10-17, 12:37 AM
Luffy808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no more waxing for me! I applied 1 coat of Gtechniq exo v3! Wash, soap and blow dry my car! pew.
Old 05-10-17, 06:27 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vital
I bought Mothers wax, used it once and learned of power lock sealant, then got it and used it once. Now I feel like I should switch to coating after only recently bought wax and sealant.
Don't over think it or sweat it too much. The products you purchased are fine. You may need to apply them a little more often, but you are protecting your paint with what you have. There are many folks on here who have their favorites and you could chase your tail all day long if you try to keep up with the latest and greatest and fan favorites. Coatings do last longer but are not always as easy to apply. I toy with the idea of a coating too, but I'm going to use up most of what I have in terms of sealants and waxes first.
Old 05-10-17, 11:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Coating for me...until the next sliced bread comes along.

GTechniq Serum Light + EXO is what I use on my daily driver. I have Gyeon Q2 Mohs that's going onto my RX. I use my older wax for my bicycles and tool box. lol.
Old 05-10-17, 02:25 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

I'm using Gtechniq CSL + EXO on my garage queen. Sealants on everything else until I run out (which will take years...)
Old 05-10-17, 02:51 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Coating for me... will probably never go back to wax/sealant. Ease of maintenance and currently using CS-II Titanium Coating.
Old 05-10-17, 06:40 PM
LS4DRTY
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
Coating for me... will probably never go back to wax/sealant. Ease of maintenance and currently using CS-II Titanium Coating.
Just watched a video of some guys lighting a car panel on fire to show how well this protects the car, crazy crazy stuff.
Old 05-10-17, 07:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

As far as consumer products go, you cannot go wrong with 22PLE HPC and GTechniq CSL.

HPC is pretty much fool proof to use. CLS is also very simple as long as you follow instructions, don't let sit on chrome trim/headlights/soft dark paint too long otherwise it will not wipe off and require light polishing, etc.

For maintenance products I still love Hydr02 because it's the best "lazy man's way" of sealing a car without spending a ton of time doing it, and it just plain works.
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 03:30 PM
LS4DRTY
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
don't let sit on chrome trim/headlights/soft dark paint too long otherwise it will not wipe off and require light polishing, etc.
Sit during install or sit over the duration of use?
Old 05-11-17, 03:49 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4DRTY
Sit during install or sit over the duration of use?
During install. I messed that up during my install. There was CSL residue on my gloves and I touched the trim and glass, so there are fingerprint stains on certain parts of the glass that had to be polished off.
Old 05-11-17, 03:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
During install. I messed that up during my install. There was CSL residue on my gloves and I touched the trim and glass, so there are fingerprint stains on certain parts of the glass that had to be polished off.
Yup. +1 that's correct

Don't get it on the glass either because it won't wipe off if you don't wipe off in a minute or two from my experience. Not a big deal if you get it on glass/matte trim/plastic/headlights/ etc. just make sure to wipe it off immediately as you should be doing anyway.

Quick Reply: Do you use wax, sealant or coating for your car?