Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Do you use wax, sealant or coating for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 08:16 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

MG's Ultimate Liquid Wax... I used to use Carnuba, but ULW is SO EASY.... and seems to work/look good... nice 'slickness' to the finish...
Old 06-16-17, 02:36 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've been using waxes and sealants the past few years. Once I get some body work done to my SC I am finally am going to try a coating. I've got a gallon of Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax at home so I've been trying to use that up but I still have a ton left.
Old 08-21-17, 02:48 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

For those that are recommending GTechniq CSL, does it really require wet-sanding to get this stuff off? I am worried about overapplying it and/or removing it in the future. I am not comfortable with the wet-sanding.
Old 08-21-17, 05:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Serum requires 1500 grit to remove. Serum Lite can be removed by polishing.
Old 08-21-17, 07:25 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
For those that are recommending GTechniq CSL, does it really require wet-sanding to get this stuff off? I am worried about overapplying it and/or removing it in the future. I am not comfortable with the wet-sanding.
Originally Posted by GSteg
Serum requires 1500 grit to remove. Serum Lite can be removed by polishing.
NO! This is misleading marketing hype... when applied properly there is no reason to ever use sandpaper on a car coated with CSL or any other coating. When you want to remove it, just polish it. It's no big deal at all.

The only time you would need to use sandpaper to remove a coating is when it is applied improperly to the point that there are extreme high spots/runs and a relatively large amount of coating material must be removed. Some people (detailers and misinformed customers/enthusiasts) have blown this out of proportion and now some people assume the coating needs to be wet sanded to remove and/or the coating is so strong it cannot be scratched. Neither of which is true when used properly.

If, for instance, you pour a small puddle of coating into a panel and leave it to cure, then yes, wet sanding would be the quickest way to fix that issue. However, if after a couple years you just want to re-coat your vehicle, simply clean, decontaminate, polish, and recoat.

Hope that helps clear things up.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 08-22-17 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-21-17, 07:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I should have made myself clear. I was referring to the situation if overapplied, not necessarily to remove the coating down the line.
Old 08-22-17, 02:55 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

My go-to process includes:
1. Poorboy's SSR1 (once the old product has been stripped). This is a very light compound, so it wont get a lot of deep scratches and swirls out. Just helps brighten the paint up a bit from fine swirls.
2. Poorboy's Black Hole. I use then on my smokey granite mica paint, but there are similar products for lighter colors. Just helps cover up some of the remaining swirls on dark cars.
3. 3M Performance Finish sealant. I'll typically do 2-3 coats. Holds up really well and looks great.

For weekly cleaning, I just use a foam gun with some Meguiar's Gold Class soap, rinse, then drive around to dry. Leaves some water sports here and there, but it's my daily, so I don't mind... And I also live in the Pacific Northwest, soo....
Old 08-22-17, 04:39 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
NO! This is misleading marketing hype... when applied properly there is no reason to ever use sandpaper on a car coated with CSL or any other coating. When you want to remove it, just polish it. It's no big deal at all.

The only time you would need to use sandpaper to remove a coating is when it is applied improperly to the point that there are extreme high spots/runs and a relatively large amount of coating material must be removed. Some people (detailers and misinformed customers/enthusiasts) have blown this out of proportion and now some people assume the coating needs to be wet sanded to remove and/or the coating is so strong it cannot be scratched. Neither of which is true when used properly.

If, for instance, you pour a small puddle of coating into a panel and leave it to cure, then yes, wet sanding would be the quickest way to fix that issue. However, if after a couple years you just want to re-coat your vehicle, simply clean, decontaminate, polish, and recoat.

Hope that helps clear things up.

-Zach
Thank you!
Old 08-23-17, 11:10 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
I have to say that hearing this before putting it on my car freaked me out, too. It turned out to not be a concern at all. Just follow the directions putting it on, and wipe it off quickly, and the need to worry about screwing it up becomes a non issue. What really sold me though, was when someone put a 14 in surface scratch in my hood the first time I went to work after applying the coating. I was beside myself, When I contacted zmcgovern4 a week later, he told me to polish it out the same as I would without the coating, wipe it down with panel wipe, and reapply the coating. Once I worked up the courage to dive in, It worked perfectly. It took about 20 minutes start to finish.