Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratched up the interior to my IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 09:01 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Scratched up the interior to my IS-F

Been cleaning the interior panels and the dashboard with a microfiber towel but some how I've caused some light visible scratches to appear. Anyone know how this could have happened and what I'm doing wrong?
Old 05-05-17, 09:18 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What cleaner are you using? How often do you clean the microfiber towel?
Old 05-05-17, 09:37 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by leisinjp
What cleaner are you using? How often do you clean the microfiber towel?
I use this product- http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html
I only use my microfibers once and then wash them in the washing machine.
Old 05-05-17, 09:50 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

IME, microfiber is too abrasive to be using on the dash with any but the lightest pressure. I'd recommend using 100% cotton toweling instead. You can literally burnish the surface of the dash by rubbing it too hard with a microfiber. Also, there are various quality levels of microfiber towels. You can test how they act by rubbing them dry on an old CD or DVD. I only use cotton for interior cleaning and I replace them after about 6-12 months of use.
Old 05-05-17, 10:12 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
IME, microfiber is too abrasive to be using on the dash with any but the lightest pressure. I'd recommend using 100% cotton toweling instead. You can literally burnish the surface of the dash by rubbing it too hard with a microfiber. Also, there are various quality levels of microfiber towels. You can test how they act by rubbing them dry on an old CD or DVD. I only use cotton for interior cleaning and I replace them after about 6-12 months of use.
Thanks for the tip. I will switch over to cotton ASAP
Old 05-06-17, 09:15 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I've done hundreds of full interiors at my job over the years and we use only MF towels. I have never had an issue or heard of MF causing any kind of damage.

I'll bet my money you caught something in your towel, even a tiny particle and without inspecting your towel (as you should do often) kept wiping the surface and dragging the particles around and causing scratches.

You have to take all the necessary precautions before you start wiping anything. I will typically vacuum the entire vehicle and use compressed air to blow out every single crevice of the car (under the seats, the tight areas between seats and center arm rest), seat crevices, all the nooks and crannies and vaccuum several times until there is nothing loose in the cabin. This is done before using any cleaners or any towels. If you have stubborn crap in the typical spots (cup holders, random pockets in the dash and door cards) that are stuck on, you have to let diluted APC break them down before you wipe those areas. The entire point is to not scrub hard any surface and avoid dragging dirt around. MF on its own is not going to damage anything.

I personally have an IS-F with black leather and although, admittedly, the interior materials on those cars are nothing great compared to something like an LS430, they are not THAT BAD that a MF towel will damage something.
Old 05-08-17, 07:24 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Agreed with the above... something else must be going on here.

As a professional detailer and an ISF owner (and former IS250 owner) all I use on interiors is microfiber and we have never had an issue on a customer's car or my personal cars. If I can use a material on a highly polished, brilliantly reflective surface (paint), then there should be no issues using it on leather, vinyl, plastic, or rubber materials inside the vehicle.

I would consider purchasing some new towels.
Old 05-12-17, 06:17 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with zmcgovern4 and 97-sc300. I'm not a professional detailer like them, but Zach has answered just about every question I've thrown at him! (Thanks Zach) I always use microfiber towels on the interior because they don't leave behind any lint or towel residue that other terry cloths would. I would recommend going on detailed image and buying some new micro fiber towels and use them specifically for the interior of the car. I have two sets of microfibers for the interior, one set is for really dirty interiors and the other set is for interiors that have just your normal dust and dirt. I have wayyyy to many microfibers, but you can never have enough in my opinion!
Old 05-15-17, 07:04 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I use nothing but microfiber on my exterior and interior, that should NOT be a problem unless you somehow damaged the MF properties of your towels by washing it with other types of materials, or included a fabric softner, which you are not supposed to do, although I have no idea what happens when you do. Or dirt got into it.

I stopped using 1Z einzett on my older cars because it found it might be too harsh and wore down some of the soft touch coating in my 2000 Audi A4 and 2006 S4. I'm not sure if it was the fault of the solution or not, but I've since switched to a milder Griots Garage Interior Cleaner just in case. I haven't had any problems since!
Old 05-15-17, 07:07 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

scratches were probably already there before but were covered by greasy or shiny interior protectant.
Old 05-17-17, 06:10 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You can also be destroying your MF towels by drying them in your dryer with too high heat. Literally curls the fibers and hardens them. Depending on the thickness, I'd keep them organized by newness and quality. Eventually you can just use them scraps for tires and oil changes. For detailing in and out though I have new, inspected ok for use on paint, glass, interior, and crap.
Old 06-03-17, 09:27 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

There's something about the latest Lexus interiors that make them prone to scratches or at least showing scratches. I've got an ES with piano black trim and most of it has fine scratches, despite using only a dedicated set of MF towels for those panels. The fake aluminum trim on the steering wheel and audio/HVAC controls are also prone to scratching, especially if your winter clothing has sharp bits on the sleeves.

You either prevent any scratches from day one or just live with 'em...
Old 06-04-17, 11:41 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Micro fiber is polyester and polyester will scratch paint and plastic. Even a good micro fiber towel is scratching the paint, the scratches are just too small to see. They work great for wiping the lube for clay bar, but for final polish I use 100% cotton.
Old 06-04-17, 01:18 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

One way to test mf towels is to use an old CD. Briskly rub a dry towel over the CD and check it for scratching. Repeat the test with cotton and I believe you will see the difference. Surprisingly, even some of my more expensive mf towels started marring after a few hand washes. I am a big fan of quality 100% cotton towels.
Old 06-04-17, 05:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
One way to test mf towels is to use an old CD. Briskly rub a dry towel over the CD and check it for scratching. Repeat the test with cotton and I believe you will see the difference. Surprisingly, even some of my more expensive mf towels started marring after a few hand washes. I am a big fan of quality 100% cotton towels.
Me to cotton. The micro fiber will always scratch, again its polyester and polyester is known to scratch paint and plastic. The good towels have such super fine fiber you would need a microscope to see the scratches.