Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 06:13 PM
EMOgs3
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cleaning exhaust tips

What brand and method do you use to clean exhaust tips? Like the carbon built up and etc..Toms quad exhaust so dirty

Old 04-28-17, 06:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That might be a real pain in the *** to clean at this point that you let it get that bad. Speaking from experience.

Get a microfiber cloth and water or quick detail spray and wipe them down as much as possible until the towel is no longer turning black.

Then what you have left is the caked on carbon buildup/road tar stuck to the outside of the tips/ and other surface contaminants.

I would spray something on the inside of the tips liberally and let it dwell for a few hours to break it down as much as possible. Try oven cleaner or something like Brake-Off wheel cleaner at full strength. With the chemical still on there after waiting for it to do its job, take some 0000 steel wool and start to agitate the area inside AND the edge of the tips that has the black stuff caked on. If no results are produced, try 00 steel wool as that is more aggressive.

After a good amount of TLC, you should be able to clean that off and proceed with some metal polish (any brand should be fine) and a microfiber rag.

For the outside just use metal polish and a MF rag because using something more abrasive might remove the Tom's writing. Be careful if you have large hard chunks of road tar stuck on. You want remove that somehow before polishing it to avoid catching it with a towel and dragging it on the surface. I usually spray some Tarminator or similar solvent to dissolve as much as possible and soften it to the point where you can pick it out with your hand.

Wear gloves and appropriate face mask when dealing with any chemicals.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 04-28-17 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-28-17, 07:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Exhaust Tip Detailing by Todd Cooperider
Product Review: Chemical Guys Metal Polish by Zach McGovern
Old 04-30-17, 12:16 PM
EMOgs3
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That might be a real pain in the *** to clean at this point that you let it get that bad. Speaking from experience.

Get a microfiber cloth and water or quick detail spray and wipe them down as much as possible until the towel is no longer turning black.

Then what you have left is the caked on carbon buildup/road tar stuck to the outside of the tips/ and other surface contaminants.

I would spray something on the inside of the tips liberally and let it dwell for a few hours to break it down as much as possible. Try oven cleaner or something like Brake-Off wheel cleaner at full strength. With the chemical still on there after waiting for it to do its job, take some 0000 steel wool and start to agitate the area inside AND the edge of the tips that has the black stuff caked on. If no results are produced, try 00 steel wool as that is more aggressive.

After a good amount of TLC, you should be able to clean that off and proceed with some metal polish (any brand should be fine) and a microfiber rag.

For the outside just use metal polish and a MF rag because using something more abrasive might remove the Tom's writing. Be careful if you have large hard chunks of road tar stuck on. You want remove that somehow before polishing it to avoid catching it with a towel and dragging it on the surface. I usually spray some Tarminator or similar solvent to dissolve as much as possible and soften it to the point where you can pick it out with your hand.

Wear gloves and appropriate face mask when dealing with any chemicals.

Thanks a lot! I'll give it a try
Old 05-01-17, 10:10 AM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had good luck with the 0000 steel wool. I'll use on the exterior of the chrome tips as well.
Old 05-08-17, 05:41 PM
WayneLaR1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skier76
I've had good luck with the 0000 steel wool. I'll use on the exterior of the chrome tips as well.
Big 2nd. 0000 works wonders. Pair it with a good metal polish and the inside of the tips will be nearly back to new. Try old school Turtle Wax Chrome Polish (seriously), amazing in combo with the 0000 steel wool.
Old 06-30-17, 09:02 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use brasso metal polish which works awesome.
Old 01-17-18, 07:20 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I might try this:
Old 01-18-18, 11:26 AM
RedRum03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use steel wool it cuts out the bs real quick. Fine grade! Then follow up with a metal polish
Old 01-20-18, 07:37 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by EMOgs3
What brand and method do you use to clean exhaust tips? Like the carbon built up and etc..Toms quad exhaust so dirty

You should be able to use a quality metal polish and polish the outsides, just be care around that toms logo you dont want to go commando on it without testing first as you dont want to remove the logo material, but you should be able to shine up that metal like no tomorrow. For the inside you should be able to use a degreaser if that doesn't cut it step up to polish with mf and/or steel wool, you should need to go more aggressive on the inside as there is where all the exhaust soot will soot over time.

Good tip by Todd Cooperider, I probably used the same exact technique without even knowing this was out there.
Old 01-21-18, 05:37 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRum03
Use steel wool it cuts out the bs real quick. Fine grade! Then follow up with a metal polish
This!.

I use steel scrubbers with metal polish to clean and polish, done it many, many times. After polishing, use kitchen paper towel to clean polish residues and to bring shine!. Be watchful while polishing/cleaning inside as some edges can be sharp and can cut your finger.

Its easy and take about 10 minutes each to polish and shine it. Now sit back and admire the shinny exhaust tips

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-26-18, 07:21 AM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Outside of exhaust tips clean up very easily using VERY FINE Brillo or very fine steel wool. Anything stuck to the exterior of tip will always come off using steel wool. Be aware of RAZOR SHARP edges, both outside and inside tip. Be extremely careful when placing fingers inside the tip. I better solution would be to use a soft brush with dishwashing soap. Scrub vigorously and rinse. Very often the inner portion gets tarnished due to the exhaust temperature and may appear discolored. Not much you can do about discoloring.
Old 02-06-18, 12:09 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I also was driven crazy by this, not just the outside but the inside as well! After Spending a day to get hem cleaned with various trial and error methods. Depending on how crazed you are, a dremel tool and buffing wheels work great , mine were really bad so I used a brass wire brush at a low speed carefully, then got them spotless. I then masked off the outsides and and hit them with a few thin coats of Rustoleum flat black. Lasted about 2 years which I was happy with, this time a caliper or different choice of paint should last even longer. I know I am a little coo coo but not crazy, I was tested for that.
Old 02-06-18, 02:23 PM
Magnaflow
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

After cleaning the tips thoroughly, apply a layer of car wax the same way you would to paint. It prevents soot and dirt easily from sticking, so all you need int he future is a simple wipe down with a cloth.
The following users liked this post:
Coleroad (02-06-18)
Old 03-19-18, 10:27 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EMOgs3

I use this one and it only cost couple bucks...it works like a charm. 3 to 5 minutes my exhaust inner and outer is good as new.

Quick Reply: Cleaning exhaust tips