Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Winter car washing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 06:21 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Winter car washing

They use salt brine on the roads here so i want to start bucket washing my car in a DIY bay here, im just wondering, do you guys wax or seal or anything during winter months? I usually do once a month but it looks like im gonna have to start doing it every two weeks : wanna protect the metal and paint!
Old 02-01-18, 06:25 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar
They use salt brine on the roads here so i want to start bucket washing my car in a DIY bay here, im just wondering, do you guys wax or seal or anything during winter months? I usually do once a month but it looks like im gonna have to start doing it every two weeks : wanna protect the metal and paint!
Wax BEFORE winter. On the good days of winter, go to a coin-op and do a high-pressure spray down. Don't ever try to touch the car, you are doing more harm than good.
Old 02-01-18, 06:51 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by er34
Wax BEFORE winter. On the good days of winter, go to a coin-op and do a high-pressure spray down. Don't ever try to touch the car, you are doing more harm than good.
that might have been possible had i not of bought the car two weeks ago. I dunno i feel like leaving it for four more months is a little long to go without a wash but i will try just rinsing off the dirt and under carriage, see what happens
Old 02-01-18, 07:00 AM
M3to4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it might be advantageous to properly wash the car down, clay, cut/polish for correction, then seal with several coats, then wax on top. The primary goal is to create as many layers upon which the salt and grime can sit on.

If you don't have the resources or time to complete the above process, just wash and apply several successive layers of sealant. At this point, scratching or marring is bound to happen, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. When summer comes, get it corrected and properly sealed.
Old 02-01-18, 07:43 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M3to4GS
I think it might be advantageous to properly wash the car down, clay, cut/polish for correction, then seal with several coats, then wax on top. The primary goal is to create as many layers upon which the salt and grime can sit on.

If you don't have the resources or time to complete the above process, just wash and apply several successive layers of sealant. At this point, scratching or marring is bound to happen, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. When summer comes, get it corrected and properly sealed.
yeah im considering rinse, two bucket wash, clay, rinse ,dry, seal with optiseal and do some polish and sealing when spring hits
Old 02-02-18, 01:44 PM
andygill27
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm out there washing it on any 50+ degree we get. The liquid platinum exterior does a nice job hiding the salt, but it's covered for sure.
Old 02-03-18, 06:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

yeah im considering rinse, two bucket wash, clay, rinse ,dry, seal with optiseal and do some polish and sealing when spring hits
If the vehicle is in need of correction, but you don't have the time or appropriate environment to do it in now and need to wait, then I would also wait to clay until later. It has always been my opinion that mechanical decontamination should be avoided unless you are following with a light polishing process at the very least. This is due to the likely chance of marring the finish while removing bonded contaminants by rubbing the clay bar along the contaminated surfaces.

For general maintenance in the interim, simply follow proper washing and drying procedures regularly, and utilize a spray sealant or wax of your choice for temporary protection. Spring is right around the corner...
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider
Old 02-05-18, 01:18 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Get yourself some Hydro2 sealant.. wash the car and then spray it on and rinse it off..
Old 02-06-18, 10:58 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
Get yourself some Hydro2 sealant.. wash the car and then spray it on and rinse it off..
How is that stuff? I've been considering picking some up for the lazy wash days. I tried the TopCoat F11 stuff, and I wasn't very impressed, so I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the quick and easy products.
Old 02-07-18, 08:27 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
How is that stuff? I've been considering picking some up for the lazy wash days. I tried the TopCoat F11 stuff, and I wasn't very impressed, so I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the quick and easy products.
It works pretty well and does provide hydrophobic properties. The product is great for wheels.
Old 03-19-18, 10:35 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

that might have been possible had i not of bought the car two weeks ago. I dunno i feel like leaving it for four more months is a little long to go without a wash but i will try just rinsing off the dirt and under carriage, see what happens

In the winter time, i go to coin wash to high pressure rinse the car then drive directly to a touchless wash. That's the only way for me to get all the craps/salt off my car.
Old 03-24-18, 08:58 AM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by minhael
In the winter time, i go to coin wash to high pressure rinse the car then drive directly to a touchless wash. That's the only way for me to get all the craps/salt off my car.
Thats exactly what I do! However, I did put a coat of Cquartz ceramic coating on the car in late fall just to keep the touchless washes from reaching the painted surface!