Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What is your favorite orbital DA for polishing your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 11:14 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is your favorite orbital DA for polishing your car?

I need to buy a new one and I've been burned before by saving a few bucks. What are your favorite?
Old 04-12-17, 12:33 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I bought the porter cable when I first started out. I regret it. Wish I bought the flex 3401 polisher instead that constantly moves. I find the porter cable hard to keep moving and difficult to get good professional like results.

Last edited by LS430FL; 04-16-17 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 06:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I recommend the trusted and tested Flex 3401 forced rotation DA.

I started out with a rotary way back when and have switched over to the Flex several years ago. It's essentially the only polishing tool we use at the shop 95% of the time for all jobs.

If you use it on a daily basis with hard use, expect to replace the brushes a few times a year (get the OEM Flex replacements and not cheapo ones...TRUST ME), and other than the cable contacts occasionally cutting out (easily replaceable with new cables) these things are build like tanks and will go on forever. Have yet to see one fail.

We also have the Griots traditional DA which is okay and we will use it on some smaller jobs that require a smaller pad. Have tried the Rupes Bigfoot 21 several times but ended up selling it because it did not work and perform to our standards on curvy and irregular shaped panels. What the Flex can do with one stage of correction, you need to do 2-3X the amount of work with the Rupes on some of these harder shaped panels, can't have that in a business setting that runs on a tight schedule. Flat panels the Rupes should be quicker and more effective, however we are not in the truck/van polishing business and all of the cars we do have irregular curves.

The Flex you can use on any panel, no matter what amount of pressure you use and what angle you use the machine. That is why we still continue to use them over traditional DAs built on a free floating spindle assembly. Only downside to the Flex is you cannot use small pads with it due to the size and bulk of the head assembly. However, if you also invest in the Rupes BIGFOOT Nano iBrid Long Neck Polisher, all of your problems are solved.
Old 04-13-17, 08:36 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

We have been using all Rupes machines (LHR21, LHR15, LHR75e, and iBrid Nano) in the shop... we love the entire line up.

I was never a big fan of the Flex. It was a bit of a wild animal in my hands, and I can control the Rupes very nicely. Just personal preference I suppose.

and FWIW I've got no complaints of using the Rupes on curved panels for correction work. Just takes some practice and tweaking of technique to maintain rotation.
Old 04-14-17, 04:41 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I guess it depends on how often one would use it. If you only use it once every couple of months or daily. I have Porter Cable, Flex 3401, Rupes LHR21 and a Makita. You can get good results from all of them when you use the correct pad polish(etc) combination. Whatever your budget is just make sure that you get set-up with good accessories. I would guess that pros like 97-SC300 and zmcgovern4 have their personal favorites and go to units. These tools are a great investment and fun to use. I would say that a good DA polisher makes working on your car actually fun. I have never regretted paying good money for a good machine. I have regretted buying cheap pretend tools...they are just a waste of money.