Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dash Board Cleaning Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 03:13 PM
bdman360
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash Board Cleaning Suggestions

Black leather dash in my F-sport needs to be wiped down.... Any suggestions on how to properly wipe down the dash board... not sure what to use and how... thanks in advance
Old 03-16-17, 03:48 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

warm water with cloth and if it's really dirty, use some woolite or gentle cleanser.

For UV protection 303 aerospace.
Old 03-16-17, 04:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
warm water with cloth and if it's really dirty, use some woolite or gentle cleanser.

For UV protection 303 aerospace.
+1 on 303 aerospace

303 aerospace and microfiber cloth is all I've used on my dash for many years. This also seems to be the consensus on the detailing forums.

Also, what? You have a leather dash?
Old 03-16-17, 08:35 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Depending on how dirty it is, I will use just a damp microfiber to pick up dust and and dry microfiber to buff off. If there are any smudges or spots, I'll use diluted Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner (10:1 ratio), agitate the spot/smudge with a soft brush, and wipe up with a wet microfiber and buff with a dry microfiber.

+1 aznkorboi and ericsan13. Clearly...303 Aerospace Protectant is the bomb! I like to use spray three squirts on a damp microfiber towel and wipe onto the dash. Then buff it off with a dry microfiber towel. The damp towel seems to give a more uniform finish, in my opinion.

P.S. Unless you did some aftermarket work, the dash on the RX F SPORT is not leather. It's actually molded soft-touch plastic. For leather, I use the TriNova (formerly Leather Nova) line of products, but any good leather cleaner and then leather conditioner should do well.
Old 03-17-17, 04:42 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

I second the 303 and I use their wipes. These are very convenient and will do both our dashes. They contain SPF 40 for helping with sun protection.
Attached Thumbnails Dash Board Cleaning Suggestions-0652e439-d598-4c46-bf1c-8ee360c70c54_1.10809c4beae844cda157f49f9616b162.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
93SCMax (03-18-17), GlenK (03-18-17)
Old 03-19-17, 01:52 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

This is my favorite for dash items, it leaves a matte finish, no grease.

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html
Old 03-19-17, 04:02 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
This is my favorite for dash items, it leaves a matte finish, no grease.

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html

It is a good cleaner but it has zero protection, 303 is a UV protectant. Better to use both. 303 monthly and the Einzett as needed for spot cleaning.
Old 03-19-17, 06:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It does contain UV protection....

"The Nextzett Cockpit Premium is simply an amazing product that you try once and love forever. This product is meant to help you clean and protect the interior while leaving behind a flawless finish. Use it on the dashboard, doors, console, navigation screens, arm rests, leatherette seats, vinyl trim and so much more. The formula utilizes gentle cleaners that help you remove dust, dirt, oils, and much more from the interior. It also leaves behind a micro-barrier of protection from harmful UV rays. The surface looks richer but without any glossy appearance and the surface will not feel oily at all. It uses no silicone and it's a water based formula that is good for the interior."

... if you want a slight sheen, choose 303. If you'd like a completely matte, OEM look then cockpit premium is a solid choice.

-Zach
Old 03-19-17, 08:16 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It does contain UV protection....

"The Nextzett Cockpit Premium is simply an amazing product that you try once and love forever. This product is meant to help you clean and protect the interior while leaving behind a flawless finish. Use it on the dashboard, doors, console, navigation screens, arm rests, leatherette seats, vinyl trim and so much more. The formula utilizes gentle cleaners that help you remove dust, dirt, oils, and much more from the interior. It also leaves behind a micro-barrier of protection from harmful UV rays. The surface looks richer but without any glossy appearance and the surface will not feel oily at all. It uses no silicone and it's a water based formula that is good for the interior."

... if you want a slight sheen, choose 303. If you'd like a completely matte, OEM look then cockpit premium is a solid choice.

-Zach
Per the company itself, it is light UV protection and not nearly as effective as 303. They have products that have heavy duty UV protection like 303 but the cockpit premium is not one of them.
Old 03-20-17, 03:39 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Understood, but your previous post indicated "zero protection", which isn't the case. Figured I'd clear that up.

The majority of us won't need a super-duper protectant. Just keep the surface clean and avoid heavily silicone based products and the dash/other interior vinyl areas will look great.

If you're particularly concerned about the dash, a reflective windshield cover isn't a bad idea.

-Zach
Old 03-20-17, 06:35 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I logged on this morning to ask that exact question...not being certain my ES350 dash top is actually leather, but it is black and gets dusty easily...is it actually leather?
Old 03-20-17, 02:22 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Most newer vehicles have UV protection built in to the auto glass. Unless you are driving a ragtop you likely need not worry about UV protection for your dash.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12495123/

http://www.EPGAA.com

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-20-17 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-17, 02:50 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Most newer vehicles have UV protection built in to the auto glass. Unless you are driving a ragtop you likely need not worry about UV protection for your dash.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12495123/

htto://www.EPGAA.com

Depending on the year and model only the windshield is laminated. My 2007 RX has a laminated windshield as all vehicles do today but none of the rest of the glass is laminated and so does NOT protect against UV rays. So... depends on the vehicle. For the RX I think the front doors received laminated glass staring in 2010 but I think all other glass is still single pane.
Old 03-26-17, 01:43 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have used 303 for many years while living in TX. I was particularly concerned about GX developing dash board cracks. I did use 303 on GX on regular basis. Mine did crack in spite of being garage parked and 303 application. One could argue its a material defect, yes it is. But 303 did nothing to it.

Later I switched to Nextzett Cockpit Premium and love this product. Amazing product. Never found an easy way to clean instrument panel glass until I started using this.
Old 04-01-17, 07:40 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I use 303 on my fsport red leather seats?

Quick Reply: Dash Board Cleaning Suggestions