Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Carbon Fiber Maintenance - RC-F

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 05:07 PM
LxsCf RCF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Maintenance - RC-F

Would like to hear from the guys who have the carbon fiber roofs, spoilers, accessories on their RC F's and how it holds up against the elements (UV rays, bird droppings, etc.) This will by first experience with carbon fiber and would like to know if I need a special wax or is it fool proof ? Thanks
Old 03-14-17, 05:38 PM
GSGUAM
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bsheets
Would like to hear from the guys who have the carbon fiber roofs, spoilers, accessories on their RC F's and how it holds up against the elements (UV rays, bird droppings, etc.) This will by first experience with carbon fiber and would like to know if I need a special wax or is it fool proof ? Thanks
I have now had mine for over 2 years, no issues with the CF roof/hood, as well as the varis CF wing and lip kit. Seems fool proof!
The following users liked this post:
LxsCf RCF (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 06:22 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This can depend largely on the finish of the Carbon Fiber...

Glossy carbon fiber means that at a bare minimum the resin that makes the carbon fiber fabric rigid has been sanded and polished to a shiny finish. Another option to achieve a shiny finish is to sand the epoxy resin and then spray a clear coat paint on top that is then polished to a high gloss finish.

If the carbon piece is simply glossy resin (ie no clear coat paint) then it will be prone to yellowing and hazing when exposed to the elements. This will likely happen regardless of how diligent you are with your waxing habits if you're in an area that is exposed to harsh elements. After this hazy/yellowed finish begins, the best way to repair the piece is to sand away the damage and then have it properly sprayed with a quality clear coat. Pieces that have been sprayed with a high quality clear coat will resist fading much better. Think about how well your clear coated finish holds up on your entire car.

Once the pieces are clear coated, maintaining them is no different than the rest of your vehicle. Apply a wax, sealant, or nano coating of your choice that suits your specific needs.

-Zach
The following 2 users liked this post by zmcgovern4:
Joker4096 (04-18-17), LxsCf RCF (03-14-17)