Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clearcoat burn? Paint damage?

Old 03-10-17, 04:10 PM
jsp1641
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoat burn? Paint damage?

Hi,

I took my car to a paintless dent repair shop to fix a ding on the rear quarter panel and ended up getting what appears to be a clearcoat burn/paint damage. It seems that this damage occured while polishing the area after the repair. The dull area definitely seems like a clearcoat burn, but I am not sure as to the right side- it looks as if a small animal with sharp teeth bit the paint (for the lack of better description) but when I actually touch them with my fingernail I cannot feel the chipped paints.

Can someone with experience be able to tell me if this is indeed a clearcoat burn, and if so, is there a way to professionally fix this spot only? Would any detailing help? I would really like to avoid having to repaint and reclear the whole quarter panel- the damaged area is quite small and I want to preserve the original paint/clearcoat as much as possible...

Appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails Clearcoat burn? Paint damage?-img_1423.jpg   Clearcoat burn? Paint damage?-img_1419.jpg  
Old 03-10-17, 08:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That looks pretty bad to be honest. Could very easily be a clearcoat burn (that's what it looks like to me and I've seen hundreds of burns). I don't know too much about PDR but do know that removing a dent on a hard body line like that is not easy and requires experience. Whoever did that did a **** poor job as you can see. PDR should restore the paint back to new without needing a repaint and this job clearly did not accomplish that.

We've tested several different PDR guys at my work because we are trying to offer this service due to growing demand. I have also seen random work done by other local shops and out of state shops. I'll tell you this, lots of times when you put the right lighting on the dent after the PDR repair you will in fact still see evidence of SOME kind of damage, usually the dent is gone completely if the guy is good, but they all leave tool marks, scratches, etc. in the paint afterwords. It's especially apparent on darker colors. We recently had a customer that had PDR done on his new 345xi up in Minnesota on the roof. It was a tiny dent similar to what you'd see from light hail damage. That shop was the best in the area with many years experience but they used a sealant of some kind to pull the dent out without going into the cabin and pulling out the headliner. The dent was 100% removed to the naked eye.That sealer, however, left a permanent mark in the paint in the spot where the dent was. It wasn't TOO noticeable because it was a medium grey metallic paint and the spot was buffed afterwards, but still there. Even after we did an extensive paint correction on his car and used wool with aggressive compound, the mark was still there.

I guess the moral of the story is, with PDR it's very common to get some damage in the paint as a result of the process of pounding on the paint and pulling it, etc. but I have never seen anything as bad as the pictures you posted.

You're more than welcome to stop by our shop in Schaumburg during our normal hours and one of us can take a look at it to see the extent of the damage. PM me and I can provide you more details.
Old 03-10-17, 09:28 PM
jsp1641
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Just sent a PM.