Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HELP! Grime, Dirt, Bug Splat

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 07:48 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default HELP! Grime, Dirt, Bug Splat

Hello everyone,

I live in an apartment complex, and don't have access to a full car wash..Seeking an alternative.

I was wondering if anyone know of a product that I can buy over the counter that can be sprayed onto the car to remove grime, dirt, and bugs. And would come off with a simple rinse of water?

I have a Ultra White car and it gets dirty pretty quickly..

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-17, 08:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Meguiars APC (follow dilution instructions, usually 4:1 for exterior). Spray on in the shade, let it break all the bugs and dirt down for about 2-3 minutes, then grab a sponge or wash mitt, agitate and rinse off. Much easier than trying to scrub everything.

Also it's a good idea to put a wax or sealant on the paint to help release bugs and other contaminants with ease. Waxed/sealed paint is much easier to maintain.
Old 01-29-17, 08:43 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Meguiars APC (follow dilution instructions, usually 4:1 for exterior). Spray on in the shade, let it break all the bugs and dirt down for about 2-3 minutes, then grab a sponge or wash mitt, agitate and rinse off. Much easier than trying to scrub everything.

Also it's a good idea to put a wax or sealant on the paint to help release bugs and other contaminants with ease. Waxed/sealed paint is much easier to maintain.
Is it possible with this product to skip the wash mitt part. I want to touch the paint as little as possible, due to time constraint.

Note, that I have access to a pressure washer. Will this be strong enough to rinse off the grime, dirt, etc after letting the solution sit?
Old 01-29-17, 11:25 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I guess you can say I'm looking for a spray on product similar to a foam gun that can get rid of grime, dirt, and other stuff. I have access to a pressure washer, but I just don't have the time to use a wash mitt on the car every week.

Is there such product that can be sprayed, let sit, and rinse down for a quick wash?
Old 01-30-17, 07:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Option 1) Go to a coin-op pressure wash

Option 2) Wash at apartment... for light dirt, consider waterless washing with a product like CarPro EcH2O
Old 01-30-17, 09:49 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I'm too cheap to pay $10 for a touchless wash at a gas station lol.

The thing is.. I work at lexus, and have access to their wash equipments. However, their equipments are dirty af. And will def scratch the paint.

I was hoping there's a product out there that I can bring in a spray bottle and to spray on the car and rinse to remove all the gunk.

Note that is will not replace a regular wash, which I do when I go back to the house.
Old 01-30-17, 10:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I'm not talking a drive through touchless... I am talking a self service pressure wash. Ours are $2-$3 around here. Follow up with a waterless wash as I mentioned before and you're good to go.
Old 01-30-17, 07:03 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nathantse
I'm too cheap to pay $10 for a touchless wash at a gas station lol.

The thing is.. I work at lexus, and have access to their wash equipments. However, their equipments are dirty af. And will def scratch the paint.

I was hoping there's a product out there that I can bring in a spray bottle and to spray on the car and rinse to remove all the gunk.

Note that is will not replace a regular wash, which I do when I go back to the house.
If you have access to the dealer's wash equipment, the pressure washer will be the most useful tool for you to use.

Keep in mind, NOTHING will ever get your car 100% clean without mechanically (with a mitt or sponge) washing the paint. The closest thing to getting your car clean that I know of is what I mentioned.

Most filthy cars we get start the wash with the same treatment.

1. Park in the shade (indoors).
2. Spray Meguiars APC (or any brand APC really) 4:1 is what I use with most products. (You can use a normal spray bottle, I use a foam cannon because it's quicker but either way works)
3. Allow a few minutes for product to dwell on the paint (2-5 minutes).
4. Pressure wash the areas that you sprayed with APC. I use a weak 1600psi pressure washer so you can get the end of it pretty close to the paint without damage but still keep it about 8-12 inches away.

For me, and I have done this to hundreds if not thousands of cars, this method removes up to 90% bug splatter (some of these cars have a TON of bugs), bird crap, fresh tree sap, as well as road salt, crap in the wheel wells (especially useful on new cars that have a felt material in there and not plastic), and typical road dirt and grime found on the lower half of the vehicle.

If your goal is to have perfectly shiny and clean paint, you're gonna have to face the reality that a full hand wash is necessary. The method I listed above should get it clean enough so that at least you don't have all these contaminants sitting and eating away at your paint. This method is called the "pre-wash" or "pre-rinse" I believe and is the same process almost all professional detailers will use on your car whether at a shop or dealership.

I used to use rinseless wash solutions, mainly ONR, but majority of the cars we get are way too filthy for me to even think about doing a rinseless wash, it wouldn't be safe, it will never rinse salt off in the winter completely or even close to it, and you'll never get crap from all the nooks and crannies and crevices. We typically will do either a paint correction or PPF install on all these cars, usually both at the same time so the cars need to be 100% clean and a pressure washer is often a MUST. There is no replacement for it.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 01-30-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-30-17, 07:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Also, since your car is white, I HIGHLY recommend an Iron removing product such as Iron-X or Ferrex.

This is a touchless product as well. Spray onto a dry paint, let it dwell for 5-10 minutes and rinse off with pressure washer. This stuff is the BOMB. Literally the easiest and most effortless way to clean a car. I noticed lately that if I soak a car with Iron X, I don't even need to use APC, along with all the iron specs all the dirt comes right off that would otherwise be way too stubborn to rinse off with just a pressure water and no chemicals. All these years I'd use Iron-X AND an APC type product on top of it after ironx turned red and before rinsing, but lately found APC is not really necessary after Iron X. But use it where there is a drain or your coworkers aren't going to be happy because it stinks so much.
Old 01-30-17, 07:34 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

97-SC300,

Thanks for the lengthy write-up it was very informative. Is this the right product Meg's APC? https://www.amazon.com/ALL-PURPOSE-C.../dp/B0006SH4GE

It looks very cost-effective. But, is it absolutely safe for paint? The reviews said it may be too aggressive for car paint and could eat the clear coat..

Just note, that this method I want to try will not replace my routine car washing/claying/wax. This is a more of a in between thing I can quickly do when I'm at work to keep the car not as filthy. Especially it being white.
Old 01-31-17, 06:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Follow the directions for use and dilution and you will be absolutely fine. Meguiar's D101 is made FOR CARS.
Old 01-31-17, 08:02 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Follow the directions for use and dilution and you will be absolutely fine. Meguiar's D101 is made FOR CARS.
^ Yeah, but I did some researching and many reviewers would only use this for carpet/interior/wheels. Heck, some people said to use this for everyday household cleaning. Nothing much was said about car paint..

But, I'll give this product a try.

97-SC300 recommended 4:1 dilution. I might just try diluting a bit more 10:1 or 12:1 for starters.
Old 02-01-17, 06:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I've been using it on paint for 4 years for bug removal and pre-soaking when needed. You're fine if you use it properly. Do not let it dry on the surface.

Another option is P21S Total Auto Wash... though it is much more expensive.
Old 02-01-17, 05:40 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I've been using it on paint for 4 years for bug removal and pre-soaking when needed. You're fine if you use it properly. Do not let it dry on the surface.

Another option is P21S Total Auto Wash... though it is much more expensive.
Zach,

What is you're typical dilution for paint/wheels/interior? & should I spray the APC on a wet or dry car?

Note, everything on the car is factory paint, wheels, interior.
Old 02-01-17, 07:42 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

The golden rule of detailing applies here - always start with the least aggressive method and work your way up as needed.

10:1 is used for general cleaning,and up to 4:1 for heavier cleaning per the directions for D101.

Quick Reply: HELP! Grime, Dirt, Bug Splat