Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dust repellant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 04:42 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dust repellant?

I drive a 2011 ISF that is dark Grey (SGM), I spend most of my time on the ISF forum, but stumbled in here recently. I live in Arizona and we have minimal rain here, but a LOT of dust. More often than not, when I wash or quick detail my car it's due to a thin layer of dust that has settled on the car. WIth all the hydro-phobic tech out now, I'm just wondering if there is a "dust-phobic" product that I can treat my car with. Or a particular wax or polish that tends to keep dust from "sticking". I know this is probably wishful thinking but I figured if such a product existed, you guys would know about it...
Old 01-19-17, 06:06 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A glass coating, to my knowledge, will assist in keeping the dust from "sticking". That may be your best bet.
Old 01-19-17, 06:51 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
A glass coating, to my knowledge, will assist in keeping the dust from "sticking". That may be your best bet.
Thanks Luxury. Since I posted my question, I've been reading up on glass coatings, and may try 22ple vx3. I wonder if a particular brand of polymer finishing coat on top of the 22ple would give good dust resistance?
Old 01-19-17, 07:38 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom2769
Thanks Luxury. Since I posted my question, I've been reading up on glass coatings, and may try 22ple vx3. I wonder if a particular brand of polymer finishing coat on top of the 22ple would give good dust resistance?
22PLE is definitely a good one. I've heard great things about it. When I inquired for my Black LS430, my detailer recommended Modesta glass coating. I believe it is one of the top coatings on the market. I'm sure some other folks will chime in with their experience too.
Old 01-20-17, 06:07 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

A good nano coating will certainly help, but just know that your car will still get dirty/dusty. There is simply no way around it.

This photo is from a test I did on my old car, which happened to be a SGM IS250, where I applied CQuartz Finest to 1/2 of the hood, and a cheap "no-name" coating to the other 1/2 (this coating is no longer available for sale). You can see how CQuartz Finest has considerably less dust on it compared to the other coating.

CQuartz Finest Dirt Resistance by Zach McGovern, on Flickr

I've repeated this type of test with a coating vs. a sealant, and a coating vs. a wax, and the nano coating is always the best at resisting dust.

There are tons of great nano coatings to chose from, and if you're looking to DIY I would recommend 22ple VX3 or 22ple HPC or GTechniq Crystal Serum Light because they are all quite easy to use.
Old 01-20-17, 06:40 AM
Tom2769
Driver

Thanks Zach,

That picture is very helpful, and you assume correctly - i will be DIY-ing my detailing. I've been out of the detailing world for 20+ years, and am still learning all the new detailing terminology. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like glass coatings (22ple vx3, etc) are the same thing as nano coatings. And from my reading here (I've only scratched the surface), it sounds like a wax or other type of polymer treatment on top of a glass/nano coating is recommended. If I'm looking for maximum dust resistance, what type of wax/polymer would you recommend to use on top of 22ple vx3? Keep in mind that I do not have unlimited time to spend detailing, so if I can achieve good results with a spray-on/wipe-off polymer top coat I'm more likely to keep up on the recommended application schedule versus a more in-depth application process.

Not sure if it will affect your recommendations or not, but I'll also likely be switching to using Optimum No Rinse 2-bucket washes for touch-ups between my more thorough washings.

Tom
Old 01-20-17, 09:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Zach,

That picture is very helpful, and you assume correctly - i will be DIY-ing my detailing. I've been out of the detailing world for 20+ years, and am still learning all the new detailing terminology. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like glass coatings (22ple vx3, etc) are the same thing as nano coatings.
The term "glass coating" is just an indication that the nano coating is silica based. Silica (SiO2), aka Quartz, is the primary ingredient in glass... therefore glass coating = silica coating = quartz coating... pick your favorite name. Nano coating in general refers to all coatings, regardless of their make up. Most are silica based (22ple, CQuartz, GTechniq) but some are not. Optimum Gloss Coat, for instance, is Silicon Carbide (SiC) based and therefore not called a "glass coating" but it is still a nano coating.

And from my reading here (I've only scratched the surface), it sounds like a wax or other type of polymer treatment on top of a glass/nano coating is recommended. If I'm looking for maximum dust resistance, what type of wax/polymer would you recommend to use on top of 22ple vx3? Keep in mind that I do not have unlimited time to spend detailing, so if I can achieve good results with a spray-on/wipe-off polymer top coat I'm more likely to keep up on the recommended application schedule versus a more in-depth application process.
I would not recommend a wax or traditional polymer based sealant on top of coatings because they will cover up/mask many of the beneficial properties of the coating itself, such as the ability to resist dust better than a wax or traditional sealant, but there are specific silica based spray sealants that have been engineered to work in harmony with nano coatings. The added benefit of using these products is that they are rich in polymers which can help to resist water spotting better than a highly concentrated silica coating which will spot quite easily if hard water is left on it. Also these spray on silica sealants will help to provide additional hydrophobic properties and protection on top of the coating itself, this prolongs the initial properties of the coating itself. I have noticed that these toppers will reduce the ability to resist dust though, which you had stated was your major concern... this is because anytime you have to wipe your car, you will produce static electricity which will attract particles to the surface of your vehicle. Also, some products (waxes are the worst usually) just attract dust in general.

Long story short, there is no absolute need for topping a coating, however there are many benefits to using products that are made to work with coatings if you would like to. I personally use a coating topper (silica based spray sealant) on my car from time to time as it is very quick and easy to do after washing.

Examples: 22ple VS1 Final Coat, CarPro Reload, GTechniq C2V3, Gyeon Cure.

Not sure if it will affect your recommendations or not, but I'll also likely be switching to using Optimum No Rinse 2-bucket washes for touch-ups between my more thorough washings.
No issues here, ONR will work great regardless of what coating, wax, or sealant you've got on the car.
Old 01-20-17, 02:03 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Zach, thanks for your detailed explanation - that makes a lot of sense. I think my plan will be to do the prep work, apply the 22ple, and then try Final Coat or Reload and see what I think about the water-spot resistance vs dust resistance tradeoff. Thanks again!