Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Chevron Touchless Car Wash - Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 07:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been using rinseless and waterless washes for years, and in my experience on my wife's jet black Mazda, I have never noticed any additional scratches, swirls, or marring present from doing mostly rinseless washes and occasional waterless washes.

The key with waterless washes is to make sure you're using ample amounts of product to provide enough lubrication. Spray a liberal amount of waterless wash solution onto both the towel you are using to wipe the vehicle with, and directly onto the paint. Switch to a clean side of the towel immediately when it gets dirty (sometimes after just one wipe), and use a plush towel to dry any residual product after you've washed a panel. You can also mist a quick detailer/spray wax onto the panel before you wipe away the WW residue for added lubrication, protection, etc.

RW and WW are both safe, quick, and effective methods of washing your vehicle... but if you are new to the process, it may take some practice. At the end of the day, just find a process that works for you and stick to it. If WW and RW aren't something that works for you, then no need to try to force yourself to use them. ECH2O also makes a nice quick detail spray and clay lubricant as well.

If you have exceptionally delicate paint, your vehicle is at risk for marring regardless of if you are doing a proper 2 bucket wash, rinseless wash, or waterless wash as any sort of friction between the wash mitt or towel and your paint will likely create light marring. Just one of the perks of having finicky paint.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 06-09-17 at 07:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (06-09-17)