Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dealership messed up my Work Meisters

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 09:14 PM
qtmac
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership messed up my Work Meisters

So about 5-6 months ago I brought my car in for some recalls to be done. Dealership is about 2hrs away from where I live and by the time i noticed my wheels i was 30min from home. Contacted the general manager about the issue the next day but being 2hrs away I did not want to drive back to them and have them screw up my wheels even more. I had only had my wheels for about 2yrs and took super good care of them when i cleaned them so i know it was not negligence on my part. Both wheels on the right side looks like it was cleaned with some kind of acid cleaner and they noticed it and didn't touch my wheels on the left side because those are fine. I did clean my wheels the next day and the 2 wheels just looked horrible. Anyways I'm putting new tires on and was wondering if there is any kind of cleaners or polishes i can use to clean up the mess. I have tried mothers mag and aluminum polish with polish ball and other wax/polish compounds but it still leaves the water spot looking stains and even the gold face looks like its fading

Old 09-28-16, 10:45 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I'd give them a chance to replace them, and if met with resistance its time for a lawsuit, so they can learn some valuable lessons.
Old 09-29-16, 05:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I hate seeing that... great looking wheels... messed up by carelessness

Hope you get it resolved.
Old 09-29-16, 08:19 AM
qtmac
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
I'd give them a chance to replace them, and if met with resistance its time for a lawsuit, so they can learn some valuable lessons.
All they said was they will have their detail department try and clean them. The hardware are coated with 24k gold and using a power ball will just take them right off because its soft. If i had saw the damage prior to leaving the dealership maybe i could file a lawsuit but since i had already left i don't think a lawsuit will do much. Looks like i have to replace the outer barrel and get the face re-powder coated?
Old 09-29-16, 08:46 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by qtmac
Looks like i have to replace the outer barrel and get the face re-powder coated?
Are the lips original hardware or were they relipped? The factory lips from work are anodized, so using metal polish won't do anything to restore the finish. If the wheels were relipped it is very likely the metal was raw and polished, so you should be able to find a good wheel shop that can polish them back to their original finish. The easiest way to know is take a white towel and apply some metal polish to the lips. If it starts to turn black, then the lips aren't coated.

If you have original work lips, then the stock finish will have to be stripped, then the lips will be polished, and you can leave them raw or have them clear coated.

Another thing to consider before you send the wheels out for repair is that they'll have to be taken a part, so you risk damaging the 24k gold on the bolts.
Old 09-29-16, 06:03 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah and yet another reason I do all my own work. If they used that nasty chemical on the wheels what was used on the car? And the dealer would be better off not cleaning or washing any cars on the lot or customers cars if they don't have the proper employees to do the task. It looks like hiring an under paid kid is not the route to go, because it can cost way more in the end. Its better to have the 20 year experience body shop person do washing and car prep.
Old 09-29-16, 06:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Suck to see that. I have seen that happen when you use an acidic wheel cleaner on raw metal wheels. Only way to fix that is to break the two damaged wheels apart and send the lips out to get repolished. That would not have happened if they were clearcoated. So my guess is raw polished. Definitely don't look anodized because you'd never have that gloss on them if that was the case.

Go back to the dealer and tell them now ALL the wheels need to be refinished to match. If you only refinish 2, it won't match the other side.

I had my CCW classics fully refinished locally by an amazing powdercoater and cost $800 (included full media blasting to remove original anodized finished off centers, pearl black with gloss clear centers, gloss silver barrels, cleaned and polished hardware, and polished and clear coated outer lips, full assembly and tire mounting and balancing.).
Old 09-30-16, 09:11 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
So my guess is raw polished. Definitely don't look anodized because you'd never have that gloss on them if that was the case.
I think you're right about them being raw polish. I went through some old photos of wheels and I had one with a clear coated rim next to a raw polished wheel. The clear coated rim is slightly muted and doesn't have the same gloss.

I had my CCW classics fully refinished locally by an amazing powdercoater and cost $800 (included full media blasting to remove original anodized finished off centers, pearl black with gloss clear centers, gloss silver barrels, cleaned and polished hardware, and polished and clear coated outer lips, full assembly and tire mounting and balancing.).
That's a really good deal on a complete refinish.
Old 09-30-16, 11:14 AM
qtmac
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Are the lips original hardware or were they relipped? The factory lips from work are anodized, so using metal polish won't do anything to restore the finish. If the wheels were relipped it is very likely the metal was raw and polished, so you should be able to find a good wheel shop that can polish them back to their original finish. The easiest way to know is take a white towel and apply some metal polish to the lips. If it starts to turn black, then the lips aren't coated.

If you have original work lips, then the stock finish will have to be stripped, then the lips will be polished, and you can leave them raw or have them clear coated.

Another thing to consider before you send the wheels out for repair is that they'll have to be taken a part, so you risk damaging the 24k gold on the bolts.
Everything is original and never relipped. I've tried diff polishing products and nothing seems to work so i figured it would need to all be taken apart and replaced/repainted. At least it was only 2 wheels that they damaged and not all 4

Thanks everyone for all the replies and advise I really appreciate it
Old 09-30-16, 11:17 AM
qtmac
Rookie

Suck to see that. I have seen that happen when you use an acidic wheel cleaner on raw metal wheels. Only way to fix that is to break the two damaged wheels apart and send the lips out to get repolished. That would not have happened if they were clearcoated. So my guess is raw polished. Definitely don't look anodized because you'd never have that gloss on them if that was the case.

Go back to the dealer and tell them now ALL the wheels need to be refinished to match. If you only refinish 2, it won't match the other side.

If I had caught the damage before I left I would go back but since I had left already and its been 5-6months they will just deny everything