Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black GS- Dusty

Old 05-13-03, 12:54 PM
00GS400L
Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Black GS- Dusty

I have seen the California car duster but it seems that it would scratch the surface of the car especially if it were black. I have a black GS and was wondering what to do at the end of the day if the car has general dust on it. I don't want to have to wash it everyday. Is there a quick detailer that might work and not scratch?
Old 05-13-03, 06:00 PM
Guitarman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default I also have a black car, I can relate...

That's basically what quick detailers are for really-light dust, pollen etc.. If you have Zaino or another polymer (blackfire etc.)on your car then you need Zaino Z6 or Meguiar's Final Inspection, as they have no wax or silicones in them as other QD's do. You may have bonding issues if you want to reapply a polymer over a finish quick detailed with a wax -based detailer.
If you use a carnauba or other wax/hybrid product, you can use a quick detailer with some wax in it, like Meguiar's quick detailer, or most of the other brands on the store shelves which have some trace wax in them.

I prefer a QD to the California car duster myself. Something about wiping the duster on dry paint that bothers me, no matter if it barely touches nor how safe it's proposed to be. (I have one, I just don't use it very frequently for that reason). And as we know, black does show everything.
Old 05-20-03, 12:24 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

my black GS is detailer's horror story, so i'm still using the california duster and really like it for the ease of use. heck, i don't even glide the duster gently, but i don't rub and scrub either of course.

i washed today and drove it for about 5 miles, and it came back with a lot of pollen and dust that nearly nullified my wash. tomorrow, the duster makes it new again in minutes.
Old 06-18-03, 12:04 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cali duster is what I use and agree that it does scratch your car. oh well.... I just make sure i go lightly and move all the dust together. The key is to go slow and try to use the tips of the duster and not blotting it.
Old 06-18-03, 06:51 PM
Wishbone
Driver School Candidate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually use Mother's Showtime Quick Detail spray (Meguiar's sells their own version too). It brings out a nice shine as if I just waxed it. All you have to do is spray the car with the detailer and wipe off with a soft cloth....I recommend using a microfiber or terry towel. Good luck!

Last edited by Wishbone; 06-18-03 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 03:41 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you wax your car, the dust should not scratch your paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black GS- Dusty

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: