Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

22PLE HPC vs 22PLE Vx Pro 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 08:28 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 22PLE HPC vs 22PLE Vx Pro 2

Hello,
Been scouring the web with little results. Found a great review on HPC by Zach but no real comparison on which one to go with.

22ple HPC vs 22ple VX Pro 2 Glass Coating

This would be my first time applying the coating by myself so I am debating which coating to go with?
Which has a higher gloss? Better protection? It seems that HPC is newer?

I know many prefer carpro reload but I wanted something that is super easy to apply. HPC seems like a very solid approach as well that lasts just as long and offers just as good as water beading and protection.

Chime your thoughts and let me know!
Old 09-15-16, 08:47 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Found my answer ! From Zach on the detail forums.

A quick run down…. Durability increases with price from VX3 to HPC to PRO2. VX3 is the best “bang for your buck” and focuses on excellent performance at a very reasonable price. HPC is geared towards improved durability, ease of use, and water repellent properties. PRO2 will be the most durable and most chemical resistant coating of the 3. It is a little harder to use in that the product requires longer time to flash and sometimes needs to be wiped a little more during removal, but still very easy relative to many other products on the market (I also have a pending review & application article for PRO2 that has yet to be published).

I’ll give you my honest opinion – most vehicles will benefit from an extensive detail including deep cleaning, decontamination, and polishing to remove light defects and restore clarity and gloss every 2-3 years. The polishing process will degrade or remove the existing coating, and therefore a new layer will need to be applied, so to me, the first 1-3 years of life is the most important with any coating.
Old 09-15-16, 09:22 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

All of your answers can also be found in this article...
22ple: In-Depth Discussion and Interview by Zach McGovern

And here are my reviews on HPC, Pro2, and VX3....
22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating – Product Review and Application
by Zach McGovern
Product Review & Application: 22ple VX Pro2
by Zach McGovern
22ple VX Pro 2: 1 Year Follow Up
by Zach McGovern
22ple High Performance Coating (HPC) – Product Overview and Application
by Zach McGovern

We use 22ple products all the time including their base coating, VX3 all the way up to their professional grade Mistico Elemento paint coating. All of the products are very user friendly and produce exceptional gloss. We are fortunate enough to be asked to test a lot of products, coatings included, and to be 100% honest with you, of the products we have tested, I have yet to find a coating that did not perform well. There are differences among them, of course, but the question of "which coating to choose" has no correct answer. Simply find one that you are interested in, make sure you perform all the necessary prep work properly, and then maintain your coating properly and you'll surely have a positive experience. Our most used coatings include 22ple VX3, 22ple HPC, and we have begun to really enjoy GTechniq Crystal Serum Light.

I have a lot of videos of customer cars that have various coatings on them on my Youtube Channel for reference as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 09-15-16 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 10:26 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks so much for the response! It can be overwhelming to find the right coating. You narrowed it down well.
Old 09-15-16, 10:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Thanks so much for the response! It can be overwhelming to find the right coating. You narrowed it down well.
Especially if you're reading on forums like Autogeek and Autopia... anytime someone asks "What is the best _______?" just get ready for a million different answers.

What it comes down to is there are so many great products out there to chose from, just pick one and try it out for yourself
Old 09-15-16, 06:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

For me, if it's a light colored vehicle, I would go with the coating that's going to give you the best long term durability (beading, etc.)

If it's soft paint and/or a dark color like black, I would go with the coating that's easiest to apply and remove (less chance of marring the paint in the coating process, etc.). Long term durability on dark colors should't matter too much. Most of our customers are back every 1-2 years to re-polish and re-coat because majority of folks have no clue or the time to properly care for their paint.
Old 09-15-16, 07:33 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
For me, if it's a light colored vehicle, I would go with the coating that's going to give you the best long term durability (beading, etc.)

If it's soft paint and/or a dark color like black, I would go with the coating that's easiest to apply and remove (less chance of marring the paint in the coating process, etc.). Long term durability on dark colors should't matter too much. Most of our customers are back every 1-2 years to re-polish and re-coat because majority of folks have no clue or the time to properly care for their paint.
I like that mentality. It's a nebula grey so yes, most likely HPC.
Old 09-16-16, 04:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I completely agree... many people get caught up on the claimed durability of all of the coatings, but what I tell our customers is that for daily driven vehicles, they will likely need to come see us ever 1-3 years depending on maintenance habits for a light polish to remove any wash induced marring and to maintain maximum gloss after which we will have to recoat the vehicle anyway.

Also, Detailed Image is currently having a sale on 22ple and GTechniq products... perfect timing for you!
Old 09-16-16, 05:29 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I completely agree... many people get caught up on the claimed durability of all of the coatings, but what I tell our customers is that for daily driven vehicles, they will likely need to come see us ever 1-3 years depending on maintenance habits for a light polish to remove any wash induced marring and to maintain maximum gloss after which we will have to recoat the vehicle anyway.

Also, Detailed Image is currently having a sale on 22ple and GTechniq products... perfect timing for you!
Lol. Just added these to the cart yesterday! Waiting on you and a few to chime in, good thing I waited !

VS1 vs carpro reload....? They are the same thing right? Do I need both or is one good?
Old 09-16-16, 05:32 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

I have just discovered your youtube channel zach.. haha Looking at more 22ple stuff to buy like the perfect vision window coat
Old 09-16-16, 07:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Lol. Just added these to the cart yesterday! Waiting on you and a few to chime in, good thing I waited !

VS1 vs carpro reload....? They are the same thing right? Do I need both or is one good?
I've done side-by-side testing with both products and VS1 provided a more durable hydrophobic surface, however Reload is considerably less expensive, so you can pick or chose which one will fit your needs/budget better.

I have just discovered your youtube channel zach.. haha Looking at more 22ple stuff to buy like the perfect vision window coat
I have tested 22ple VG1 against many competitors, and it was the most water repellent. You can read my reviews in the following articles:
22ple VG1 Perfect Vision Window Coat: Follow Up Review by Zach McGovern
Product Review: 22ple VG1 Perfect Vision Window Coatby Zach McGovern
Old 09-16-16, 10:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

aznkorboi, I went with the 50 ml bottle of HPC. It was more than enough for two coats on my RXh with the pano roof. Not quite a third but I'd rather have too much than too little.

VS1 and Reload are easy to apply, I happen to have both because I wanted to try them. VS1 went on a few hours after the second coat of HPC. Then about a month later I applied Reload. I might go back to VS1 based on Zach's comments. And since you're taking the steps to decontaminate, you might want to consider doing the trim. I know 22PLE has VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer. I went with Gtechniq's C4 Permanent Trim Restorer. It's less expensive and also happens to be on sale at DI right now. Two months and the trim still looks great. Zach covered glass coating. The only thing left are the rims.
Old 09-16-16, 10:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

FWIW I prefer C4 to 22ple VR1

As far as wheels go, most OEM wheels these days are clear coated, so you can use HPC on them for added protection if you wish. Saves you from buying yet another coating. There are wheel coatings that are specifically crafted for the harsher environment that our wheels live in, but IMO most paint coatings will work really well on wheels as well, so just make things easier on yourself.
Old 09-18-16, 07:20 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

We just coated a car in 22ple HPC yesterday... it has been a little while since I have used it, and I had forgotten how easy it was to use

Name:  14305272_754973944640727_1329255501560615355_o_zpstznotqkm.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  386.9 KB
Old 09-18-16, 08:42 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That looks great Zach! I love HPC. I have it on our LX470 since last fall and the beading is still 100% like the day I installed it. I know the bottle says you can do 2 coats, but I only did one coat.

Did kind of mess around with the timing on it during application. The LX is the classic silver metallic and it was pretty cool when I applied it. I believe I was able to wait up to 45 minutes to remove the coating without any issues whatsoever. Wasn't getting grabby or difficult to remove. I wonder if that has to do with how great it's lasted or maybe it's just a damn fine coating (like all 22 products). We've been removing it at the 5-10 minute mark on customer cars with similar results.

Quick Reply: 22PLE HPC vs 22PLE Vx Pro 2